First Look: Gold iPhone 5s unpacking (and Verizon "SIM not valid" crisis)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    satalite wrote: »
    Am I missing something? I am upgrading from iPhone 4 to iPhone 5s with Verizon but I've always though that Verizon didn't use SIM cards...?

It's for the LTE part of the phone. LTE is GSM based so it needs a SIM card to work. Phone calls are still handled by the CDMA part which doesn't need a SIM. The 4/4S weren't LTE so they didn't need a SIM.
  • Reply 22 of 46
    You said the verizon iPhone 5S at full price is unlocked? Would it be possible to unlock it with a t-mobile sim card?
  • Reply 23 of 46
    Originally Posted by BBQZ View Post
    You said the verizon iPhone 5S at full price is unlocked? Would it be possible to unlock it with a t-mobile sim card?

The iPhones activated on Verizon and Sprint are done so via CDMA. The GSM aspect of said phones is unlocked for use with any SIM, worldwide. Open the SIM slot, put in any SIM, use.

• Reply 24 of 46
    I skipped the line. Ordered from AT&T online. Capital One flagged the order as a fraud and denied it. I got the call from Capital One about it. I authorized the charge. They called AT&T to resolve it. On hold forever. Finally I told him of the email from AT&T with a different telephone number. We got through and had a conference call. AT&T said no problem. Great! Then I get an email that I was not eligible for an upgrade because I had upgraded within the past 24 hours. I called them and explained. The AT&T Prime service couldn't fix it so she transferred me to customer service. Who was I talking to anyway?. Now the customer service tries to reorder and can't. She doesn't understand why not. For the millionth time I told her but to no avail. I had spent hours on this and finally she said I should go to a store. Order cancelled. Twice for sure, maybe even three times! Someday I will be "permitted" to order!
  • Reply 25 of 46
    The iPhones activated on Verizon and Sprint are done so via CDMA. The GSM aspect of said phones is unlocked for use with any SIM, worldwide. Open the SIM slot, put in any SIM, use.

This specific problem is the LTE SIM not being able to be activated in conjunction with the CDMA part, but you are correct if the phone is going to be used overseas and only on a GSM network.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    maccherry wrote: »
    This is bs. They will keep the gold option scarce just for the hype. I'm not playing into it. Next week you'll read some bull**** about how the gold process is REALLY demanding on the manufacturer and that demand has out paced effing supply. Kiss my a**!
    I bet I find some d-bag selling his gold iPhone on ebay for 10 times the retail price this weekend.

Didn't Samsung announce a 32GB 4S?

I wonder what happened there.
  • Reply 27 of 46

I had exact problem on VZ space grey 32 I got at apple store.  Went home and spent 45 min with verizon tech support. Nothing worked, went back to apple store, they gave me new one that activated without a hitch. They let me keep charger, cable and headphones for my troubles... Nice gesture and I really appreciate, but was very unnerving, After having the 5s all day I can say WOW! the phone is awesome!

• Reply 28 of 46
    Ack no one with any sense would use a CDMA network like Verizon. Switch to GSM.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    silver5s wrote: »
    I skipped the line. Ordered from AT&T online. Capital One flagged the order as a fraud and denied it. I got the call from Capital One about it. I authorized the charge. They called AT&T to resolve it. On hold forever. Finally I told him of the email from AT&T with a different telephone number. We got through and had a conference call. AT&T said no problem. Great! Then I get an email that I was not eligible for an upgrade because I had upgraded within the past 24 hours. I called them and explained. The AT&T Prime service couldn't fix it so she transferred me to customer service. Who was I talking to anyway?. Now the customer service tries to reorder and can't. She doesn't understand why not. For the millionth time I told her but to no avail. I had spent hours on this and finally she said I should go to a store. Order cancelled. Twice for sure, maybe even three times! Someday I will be "permitted" to order!

The real problem is Capital One - they are fk'n scumbags!
  • Reply 30 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

????

Just curious... are you comparing Apple to Samsung?
  • Reply 31 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

This is bs. They will keep the gold option scarce just for the hype. I'm not playing into it. Next week you'll read some bull**** about how the gold process is REALLY demanding on the manufacturer and that demand has out paced effing supply. Kiss my a**!

I bet I find some d-bag selling his gold iPhone on ebay for 10 times the retail price this weekend.

Apple seems to be the main culprit in enabling the analysts to downgrade AAPL.

• Reply 32 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Yep.  And the news media will keep doing stories on the "rare" iPhones availability, giving Apple millions in free advertising.

Gotta hand it to them, they play everyone for chumps and never get called on it.  And the funny thing is, their products are good enough that they don't even need manufactured hype. 

• Reply 33 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

The S4 has a card slot.  Add what you want. 

• Reply 34 of 46
    silver5s wrote: »

In my experience this is par for the course with AT&T. As a result, I order directly from the Apple Store online. Sadly, although I considered moving to a different carrier I remained with AT&T because they have:
    • widespread LTE network second only to Verizon in the United States (AT&T claims 400 markets)
    • excellent fallback HSPA+ 21Mbps network with exceptional coverage (versus the absolute crap that passes for a fallback network for Verizon and Sprint)
    • greatest amount of backhaul other than T-Mobile with which they are tied
  • Reply 35 of 46
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    conrail wrote: »
    How exactly is this awesome planning?  it's a commodity item.  If you're going to offer a color, stock the damn thing.  Apple does more market research than listening to chat forum cranks, so they knew that there would be an interest in a gold iPhone.
    Sarcasm
  • Reply 36 of 46
    pmz wrote: »
    Sarcasm

I am not so certain since he continues to write this tripe.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I am not so certain since he continues to write this tripe.

Why is that tripe?

• Reply 38 of 46
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BBQZ View Post

I've been running a Verizon iPhone 5 (bought at full price) using an AT&T SIM card since December of last year.  Never ran it on Verizon.   Bought it to run on AT&T since I was paying full price and LTE was not in my area yet anyway and the Verizon 5 (not 5s) had "better" LTE bands for outside the USA use, and it was an interesting experiment.  The Verizon iPhone 5 (and presumably 5s) have an unlocked SIM card. Scuttlebutt on the internet said it was part of an FCC agreement on "Neutrality" or something to open up the 700mhz band they had.  It should work find with your T-Mobile card, though, my iPhone 5 did not have an IMEI number AT&T recognized so their system, when I went to get a SIM card for it (since my AT&T 4S I had used a mini SIM), set it up as a generic "smartphone" and my visual voicemail wouldn't work. I got it to work by putting the SIM back in my 4S, calling up AT&T, telling them it was not working, and having them set up my account as an iPhone 4S account again, and then just moving the SIM over to the iPhone 5 without telling them again...

• Reply 39 of 46
    People still standing in line? I thought the internet solved that issue.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    unded wrote: »
    People still standing in line? I thought the internet solved that issue.

you really aren't following along are you?... read the first third of the story... and you will realize your post is redundant.