Apple extends retail Personal Pickup to iPhone 5s, 5c

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Barriault View Post

I got up in the middle of the night and had ordered my Space Grey 64 GB literally less than one minute than they went live, but it won't deliver until October 10th-16th. And now stores are being restocked with new supply already. This might have been a successful launch, but gotta say, I think they're really screwed the pooch on who gets priority.

Strange... I ordered my Verizon 64GB silver at 12:03 am PST and it shipped late last night.  The dock already shipped on the 20th.

ZhengZhou, China 09/23/2013 6:00 P.M. Arrival Scan
      09/23/2013 5:30 P.M. Departure Scan
      09/23/2013 5:12 A.M. Origin Scan
    China 09/23/2013 5:06 A.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

UPS tracking says delivery on Thursday 9/26.

It's my first iPhone and my first Apple store order... all this time I thought Apple was made in the USA.

• Reply 22 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TRC2k13 View Post

Strange... I ordered my Verizon 64GB silver at 12:03 am PST and it shipped late last night.  The dock already shipped on the 20th.

ZhengZhou, China 09/23/2013 6:00 P.M. Arrival Scan
      09/23/2013 5:30 P.M. Departure Scan
      09/23/2013 5:12 A.M. Origin Scan
    China 09/23/2013 5:06 A.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

UPS tracking says delivery on Thursday 9/26.

It's my first iPhone and my first Apple store order... all this time I thought Apple was made in the USA.

Pretty much all consumer electronics are made elsewhere these days. A few are *assembled* in the U.S. but that's it.

• Reply 23 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Barriault View Post

I got up in the middle of the night and had ordered my Space Grey 64 GB literally less than one minute than they went live, but it won't deliver until October 10th-16th. And now stores are being restocked with new supply already. This might have been a successful launch, but gotta say, I think they're really screwed the pooch on who gets priority.

But, how long did it take you to get through to the checkout?  The timestamp on my order was 12:08am (the website didn't go live until 12:04am), and I received notification today that it will arrive either Thursday or Friday -- four days earlier than the original delivery quote. 

My understanding is that overseas markets (as well as Canada) had extremely limited or zero units available for online sales, but with the U.S. site, most 5s configurations were still showing "1-3 days" to ship times an hour after the site went live.  Only the gold and T-Mobile unlocked models ran low early on.  Obviously, for the online sales, Apple heavily favored the U.S. market, as all of the speculation earlier in the day pointed to almost zero inventory set aside for online customers. 

The Apple stores aren't going to go weeks on end without getting restocked, just so that people who ordered online can get their 5ses sooner.  That simply won't happen -- the stores are too important for generating foot traffic and ancillary sales. 

From what I can tell, every unit produced before sales went live has already been sold (whether in-store or online), and anything trickling into stores now is probably whatever the factories can crank out.  I would also presume that those online buyers who were quoted "7-10 days" to ship will also receive their units as soon as they are made, which might be sooner than expected. 

• Reply 24 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

I think the personal pickup option looks useless right now for the 5s, since just about all inventory that trickles into the stores will likely get snapped up right away.  However, for the 5c, I have seen inconsistent availability for different color, capacity, and carrier options.  So, with that model, this pickup availability indicator will be more useful until the 5s supplies start lining up better with demand. 

Okay, I take that back!  I just checked some of the inventory in my area, and it looks like several stores have the carrier models available for in-store pickup, albeit only in Space Gray.  The Sprint models in particular are available in several stores today, but the AT&T models remain hard to find.  If you want a gold or unlocked model, forget about it. 

• Reply 25 of 26
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    It's reported that in-store pickup for the 5s has already disappeared from Apple's online store and mobile app.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Yep it's gone again. No stock in NYC stores