iOS 7 shines as Apple bests Android, Windows Phone in 'user experience shootout'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62

It is probable that this study was funded by Apple.  Pfeiffer lists Apple as one of their clients on their website, and when you look at the list of their "reports", they all seemingly correspond to their client list.  Also, the report itself is very subjective (particularly, when you read the detailed PDF version) and seems to have an Apple-centric agenda in the writing.

Lets see, their various reports are based upon iOS, Mac OS X, Adobe CS 6, Maya and 3DS Max with praise for those products. Who are their listed clients? Adobe, Apple and Autodesk.

• Reply 22 of 62
    Not a fan of iOS 7. It's a pain, it's ugly and some functions are not just a failure on the intuitive scale, they remind me of useless steps often required by Microsoft. Most frustrating is that iOS 7 is a battery hog, which is the last thing iOS users needed. Users have to turn off a lot of those new, snazzy features in order to have any battery life. I'm also getting some iTunes and app error messages on a 2-month-old device.
  • Reply 23 of 62
    gwmac
    2013/09/24 01:35pm

I like iOS 7 so far. I suppose my biggest complaints are with text messages just being harder to read. Not sure what they were thinking with green bubbles and white text. The old color scheme for messages was much easier to read. The phone dialer also just seems a little harder on the eyes. Far too much white and not enough contrast. I tend to prefer darker themes so the previous colors were preferable to me but I do like the new features and the design elements. I just wish we could change the colors to our liking.

Go into Settings-General-Accessibility.
    You can change your font size. Even make everything bold.
  • Reply 24 of 62
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The spin from the Fandroids on that issue is mindblowing!

I could never use any Android device. It doesn't matter if an eight core model came out tomorrow. It'll be just as laggy, slow and unresponsive as all the rest.  They're either on drugs or their senses are so dulled, that they would be worthless to me.

Cut down on the Red Bull .......

• Reply 25 of 62
    Droidboyz love customizing everything about Android. If they like to play with their smartphones like little toys, then let them. The average consumer smartphone user probably doesn't bother to play with their smartphones and prefer to just use them. Not everyone who buys a smartphone wants to get overwhelmed by Android OS featur-itis.
  • Reply 26 of 62

I bet this Touchwiz quick settings panel accounts for most of Samsung's "cognitive load" score.

• Reply 27 of 62
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    But but but ... Open! Big screen! Activations!
  • Reply 28 of 62
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

The gradient they applied to the text bubbles decreases the contrast  at the top of the screen, too.

Slightly increasing the Text Size (under Settings, General) helped me out considerably.

I increased the text size and also applied the Bold setting. Weird that my phone had to reboot for bold to take effect. That does help a little but I still can't help but miss the old green and blue bubbles with black text. Grey/Black and Green/white with a white background is really just ugly and also harder to read. I suppose I will get used to it since I don't have much of a choice until a jailbreak is released and I can change it. I don't see this color scheme for text messages lasting with iOS 8. It really wouldn't be that hard to just let us choose the colors we want which would be far better. I would also like a day and a night mode similar to Maps since I find all the white far more jarring at night. 

• Reply 29 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

Must Android users do not have stock Android so that would bias the results to a niche amount of users. Most Android users have TouchWiz, SenseUI, etc. on their phones since they do not root and install a different ROM. Samsung ships the most Android phones so it's clearly more representative to use what most users will have.

I realize that, but if you're comparing operating systems, compare the operating system as it is designed, not with a layer of crap on top.

• Reply 30 of 62
    I think Apple missed the boat on IOS7 in a few areas. I
    1. Lack of contrast and definition. Example: the calendar display now forces you to look carefully and read the information in order to either absorb the content or make inputs. IOS6 was superior in that one could simply look in a specific place for a recognizable shape or color.
    2. Reminders has lost it's calendar displays. And it is much slower to wait until completed items find their way to the top of the list (used to be so nice on a separate page) so that they can be very slowly cleared one by one.
    3. Text messages need to have the blue and green brightness reduced. It is more difficult to read now, causes more eyestrain (I wear glasses), and by simply reducing brightness it gets the same job done.
    Whoever is the guy Apple hired to get rid of skeumorphism (sp?) kind of went overboard. I think he may have thrown out the baby along with the bathwater. There is a happy medium between the two extremes. We have now gone to the extreme.
    But then, it's still the best IOS available. I'd just like to see it lean a little way back in the other direction.
  • Reply 31 of 62

I think iOS 7 adds two great features, Control Center, and Translucency, but everything else seems bad about it. The app icons should have been translucent or dynamic to the wallpaper instead of the same color scheme as before.  The bottom dock makes it feel less organic than the glass version and it would have been better if the dock instead of being glass or blurry, just a wave of light passing through like an aurora, or something that changed with time or touch motions around the apps. iOS 7 thin fonts make it harder to read on old PPI technology like the one found in the iPad Mini, and I'm not fond of it's look in either the 4th gen iPad or would be if I saw it on an iPad Mini. I believe the Music App is too white and the lack of colors just makes Apple look lazy.

• Reply 32 of 62

it would really be nice if Apple could offer a "classic" version for those of us who think that the new look sucks even though a lot of things work faster.

• Reply 33 of 62
    The most biased results I have ever seen! iOS7 doesn't even have enough users yet for it to beat Symbian let alone iOS6 - In other news, on the AndroidInsider, Android mopped the floor with iOS and on BlackBerryInsider, BlackBerry mopped the floor with Android - The fact this is a site for all things Apple why do you really think this "amazing" OS is top of the list, why because it's an article written by an Apple fan!
  • Reply 34 of 62
    As much as I admire J Ive the kiddy interface of iOS7 is frankly a bit much and not very well done.
  • Reply 35 of 62
    In surveys of actual users of phones, Windows Phone scores higher than iOS. So, for people who actually use phones (not some random group of supposedly non-biased people who apparently live under a rock in Derpnowherestan) people who use Nokia Windows Phones are happier than people who use either Android or iOS (source: http://blog.amplifiedanalytics.com/2013/03/att-customers-love-nokia-smartphones/)

Also this gem: "Microsoft's belated answer to the iPhone was dinged for its lack of support for home screen background images..." This is clear bias. Why not ding iOS for static icons or rate Windows Phone better for their live tiles that actual give you useful information at a glance without having to open the app? It's because the survey was done with an iOS bias.
  • Reply 36 of 62

Actually, the stock android UI is pretty good, in terms if speed, but everybody hates it or just want to make something to stand out. If there is a S4 with stock android, I think it will be par with iOS (I mean compare with almost 2x on-the-book spec of iOS).

Man, don't you hate people complain about the iOS7 UI. The old master is dead, and now the new kids in town, and they still can pleased +80% of their client, they must be doing a good job here. It is a new start for Apple.

• Reply 37 of 62
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IH8Apple4Eva View Post

The most biased results I have ever seen! iOS7 doesn't even have enough users yet for it to beat Symbian let alone iOS6 - In other news, on the AndroidInsider, Android mopped the floor with iOS and on BlackBerryInsider, BlackBerry mopped the floor with Android - The fact this is a site for all things Apple why do you really think this "amazing" OS is top of the list, why because it's an article written by an Apple fan!

ok, this post is a joke, right?

• Reply 38 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by erasure25 View Post

In surveys of actual users of phones, Windows Phone scores higher than iOS. So, for people who actually use phones (not some random group of supposedly non-biased people who apparently live under a rock in Derpnowherestan) people who use Nokia Windows Phones are happier than people who use either Android or iOS (source: http://blog.amplifiedanalytics.com/2013/03/att-customers-love-nokia-smartphones/)

Also this gem: "Microsoft's belated answer to the iPhone was dinged for its lack of support for home screen background images..." This is clear bias. Why not ding iOS for static icons or rate Windows Phone better for their live tiles that actual give you useful information at a glance without having to open the app? It's because the survey was done with an iOS bias.

are you the same guy?

• Reply 39 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

It is probable that this study was funded by Apple.  Pfeiffer lists Apple as one of their clients on their website, and when you look at the list of their "reports", they all seemingly correspond to their client list.  Also, the report itself is very subjective (particularly, when you read the detailed PDF version) and seems to have an Apple-centric agenda in the writing.

Lets see, their various reports are based upon iOS, Mac OS X, Adobe CS 6, Maya and 3DS Max with praise for those products. Who are their listed clients? Adobe, Apple and Autodesk.

yeah sure if you say so. did you actually read their report? usually helps to criticize based on evidence in the thing itself instead of speculation. it's quite interesting. their evaluations make sense and appear consistent, tho any of us might focus on some other details they did not.

• Reply 40 of 62

what really stood out in this report was how bad Windows Phone is. after some reflection, i think whether it's phones or tablets - or even now the W8 desktop OS - MS still thinks it can dictate that consumers will have to use its products, whether they really like them or not.

but a great many - most - now don't. and now they have other very practical alternatives they like more.

MS made the classic mistake of thinking Windows users actually loved them. they still can't face the truth it was by necessity, not choice.

ps: it was really only the IT guys who really loved/still love MS. because it guaranteed their internal company power niche and perpetual employment keeping that mess working. i should know, i had to pay those guys for it.