iOS 7 feature focus: Adding fingerprints, enhancing security for iPhone 5s Touch ID

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

You should consider the possibility that knuckles are less unique to a person. There must be a reason why the FBI uses a fingerprint database, not a knuckle-print database. 

the reason - surely the thought occurred to you - is that NO ONE LEAVES THEIR KNUCKLE PRINTS ANYWHERE ANYWAY, SILLY! so it would be totally useless to the FBI et al. like total cosmic duh.

which is also why knuckle prints are excellent security for a person's own (finger)print reader device.

• Reply 22 of 27
    alfiejr wrote: »
    the reason - surely the thought occurred to you - is that NO ONE LEAVES THEIR KNUCKLE PRINTS ANYWHERE ANYWAY, SILLY! so it would be totally useless to the FBI et al. like total cosmic duh.

which is also why knuckle prints are excellent security for a person's own (finger)print reader device.

And before someone chimes in with a comment about you leaving your knuckle print on the Touch ID sensor let me add that for every knuckle print on it there are dozens upon dozens of thumb prints that will at least make it very difficult to pull that one print even if its possible among so many thumb prints.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

NO ONE LEAVES THEIR KNUCKLE PRINTS ANYWHERE ANYWAY, SILLY! so it would be totally useless to the FBI et al. like total cosmic duh.

Hey, you do that. Me, I’ll be using my nipples for any future TouchID devices I own.

• Reply 24 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akqies View Post

1) Are you saying the epidermal ridges over the knuckles aren't unique?

2) Remember that your nipple will work just as well as your fingerprint for Touch ID but do you expect the government to invest in the NIPSLIP (National Identification and Processing System for Locating Individuals by Papilla) project? You really need to consider that people don't typically touch things with their knuckles, at least not reliably, which makes the idea of a Federal Knuckle Database pretty stupid and the idea of using it for security pretty good.

I was just throwing the possibility out there being too lazy at the time to do a literature search. It appears that finger-knuckle print authentication isn't unheard of (e.g. http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1980431).
  • Reply 25 of 27
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hey, you do that. Me, I’ll be using my nipples for any future TouchID devices I own.

some guys we hear are even whipping it out ...

• Reply 26 of 27

Absolutely fantastic idea! Could also be a short rhythm, so you can do it with one finger: Tap taptap tap.