Apple's just-released iMacs receive day-one update

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple has released an Extensible Firmware Interface update for the late 2013 models of iMac that it just announced on Tuesday.

The update brings the EFI for the late 2013 iMacs to version 2.1. It is aimed at addressing an issue sometimes occurring when installing Windows 7 or Windows 8 using Boot Camp Assistant. If both an external optical drive and USB thumb drive are connected to the system, the installation process could cause a black screen to appear.

Additionally, the update makes sure that a system will boot by default into OS X after installing Windows 8.

iMac (late 2013) EFI Update 2.1 is available as a free download from Apple's support pages. It requires a Mac running OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.4 (12E4022) or later. It is an 8.7MB download.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Additionally, the update makes sure that a system will boot by default into OS X after installing Windows 8.

LOL. Keep it like that.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    wow, must be a lot of people hitting Apple's servers to install this update!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Well, that’s the first time OS X has ever done that, at least. Everywhere else it boots to Windows by default after install until you manually set it back to OS X.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Can I use the iMac 21,5 (1299,00) as a Display? I want to buy the new model first, and then, next year I want to buy the new Mac Pro. When I can use the iMac then as a display I dont have to spend another 999,00 for a Thunderbolt Display and 21,5" is enough for me. Please help, because nobody can tell me if it will work...Thank you