• Reply 61 of 105
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snova View Post

Fits his screen name.

Is that a personal attack?

what do you think of when you think of someone who is a hermit? You picked the name.. not me. I am just saying that your behavior of late seems to fit your screen name.  Am I mistaken? Are you not really a hermit?

• Reply 62 of 105
    Quote:

what do you think of when you think of someone who is a hermit? You picked the name.. not me. I am just saying that your behavior of late seems to fit your screen name.  Am I mistaken? Are you not really a hermit?

Why does my behaviour fit that of a hermit?

Does having a contrary view to your own mean that a person is a hermit?

Your view is contrary to mine. Does that make you are a hermit?

I'm curious.

• Reply 63 of 105
    Quote:

Quote:

Why does my behaviour fit that of a hermit?

Does having a contrary view to your own mean that a person is a hermit?

Your view is contrary to mine. Does that make you a hermit?

I'm curious.

you effectively said you [saw] no one excited about this year's phone.  A hermit isolates themselves from society. Clearly people are excited if you get out and socialize.  A hermit by definition would not "see" this because they try to avoid people and tend to be sour in interaction with others. thus, your screen name seems to fit.   It has nothing to do with having a different point of view than, I.   ..and No, it was not a personal attack.. just an plausible explanation to your behavior and basis for you opinions.    and if I was a hermit, I might note it in my screen name.. which I did not.  But you did.   So you decide....

• Reply 64 of 105
    Quote:

I've talked to a few people I know. I've asked them if they are excited about the 5c. They said, "no". Some even mentioned that they had discussed it with their friends. They didn't seem to be excited either.

Do you have any proof other than your own anecdotal evidence to prove that people are excited about the 5c?

• Reply 65 of 105
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Too bad Apple didnt figure this out with the MacBooks. It would be a whole lot easier to say MacBookC than Mid-2012 13" Core i7 MacBook, especially if that was also printed on the product as is the 5c.

You see why I say this deviates from Apples standard naming protocol.

The iPod Touch doesn't do this, either. It's not the iPod Touch C, it's the iPod 5th Generation 2013 16GB model (which has similar internal (and external) changes to Touch.

So it's inconsistent and will eventually lead to confusion as sog35 demonstrates above.

Actually Apple just calls it the iPod touch, iMac, MacBook.

If Apple really want to stick to its naming format, the iPhone will be iPhone for all generations. Of course then people would get confused when it continued selling the previous year's version.
    I can't even recall anyone being excited about buying this year's phone...

Statistically speaking, your sample size/selection is too small to have any meaning.
  • Reply 66 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Mr Cook said demand for the 5C was amazing.  And I beleive him since they were out of stock after 2 days of pre-orders.  Your hatred for the 5C is not healthy.  For some reason you believe everyone needs to think just like you.  The truth is millions of people CHOOSE the 5C because they love it.

Unhealthy? Your love of the 5c is not healthy. See what I did there.

For some reason you believe everyone needs to think just like you. See what I did there.

Millions? Let's see some hard numbers. I was asked for some hard numbers and when I couldn't give hard numbers (as I had already said) then I was dissed. So, until you have some hard numbers your opinion is no more valid than mine.

You'll have to do better than that.

For what it's worth. I neither love nor hate the 5c. It is an object. An object that anecdotal evidence says is not an explosive seller like the 5s. As I said to Jragosta... I have not called it a flop. I have only said that it appears not to be selling as well as some predicted it would.

• Reply 67 of 105
    Quote:

Quote:

you effectively said you [saw] no one excited about this year's phone.  A hermit isolates themselves from society. Clearly people are excited if you get out and socialize.  A hermit by definition would not "see" this because they try to avoid people and tend to be sour in interaction with others. thus, your screen name seems to fit.   It has nothing to do with having a different point of view than, I.   ..and No, it was not a personal attack.. just an plausible explanation to your behavior and basis for you opinions.    and if I was a hermit, I might note it in my screen name.. which I did not.  But you did.   So you decide....

Sour in interaction? You are sour to me. You must be a hermit.

island hermit.  Let me apologize if I came across sour to you.  I am sorry.

• Reply 68 of 105
    Unhealthy? Your love of the 5c is not healthy. See what I did there.

For some reason you believe everyone needs to think just like you. See what I did there.

Millions? Let's see some hard numbers. I was asked for some hard numbers and when I couldn't give hard numbers (as I had already said) then I was dissed. So, until you have some hard numbers your opinion is no more valid than mine.

You'll have to do better than that.

For what it's worth. I neither love nor hate the 5c. It is an object. An object that anecdotal evidence says is not an explosive seller like the 5s. As I said to Jragosta... I have not called it a flop. I have only said that it appears not to be selling as well as some predicted it would.

Selling well compared to what? iPhone 5S? iPhone 4S (yoy)? android phones?

If it's the first, then no sh1t. The latest and greatest from Apple will always be #1. They are primarily targeting two different groups with a little overlap.
  • Reply 69 of 105
    Sometimes I wonder if anyone who writes for this publication has a brain.

Let's see if any of the bright readers who can do a bit of math can put this together:

1. This analyst claims that of the 9 million units sold, approximately half were the 5s and half were the 5c.

2. Usage data suggest that approximately 78% of the phones tracked were 5s and 22% were 5c.

3. The analyst mentions that there is a difference between sell-in and sell-through, but this article doesn't try to explain what the significance is or even come close to understanding why this is significant.

4. An Apple bull suggests that the 'real' sales were closer to 5.5 million units.
  • Reply 70 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post

Sometimes I wonder if anyone who writes for this publication has a brain.

Let's see if any of the bright readers who can do a bit of math can put this together:

1. This analyst claims that of the 9 million units sold, approximately half were the 5s and half were the 5c.

2. Usage data suggest that approximately 78% of the phones tracked were 5s and 22% were 5c.

3. The analyst mentions that there is a difference between sell-in and sell-through, but this article doesn't try to explain what the significance is or even come close to understanding why this is significant.

4. An Apple bull suggests that the 'real' sales were closer to 5.5 million units.

something tells me you are about to "school" everyone here.

• Reply 71 of 105

Thread redirect:

I visited a highly-visible third-part accessory retailer earlier this week (in a well-trafficked venue).  The proprietor sells for all popular mobile devices, but his inventory is Apple-heavy.

So we got into a conversation about the new phones, and he insisted, with a straight face, that:

- The 5c is vastly slower than last year's 5, and in fact, they put a downgraded processor in it;

- The "c" stands for Cheap;

- In summary, don't buy the 5c.

I excused myself without getting into it with him, but still, I wonder... where is that mindset coming from?  And how much is "anti-buzz" like this affecting 5c sales?

• Reply 72 of 105

The name calling herein is getting a bit much. Chill, everyone.

• Reply 73 of 105
    Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

How dare you, sir! I’ll strike you with a piece of paper!

• Reply 74 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

My guess?

6 Million 5S sold

3 Million 5C

500,000 5C at non-Apple stores

6 Millions 5S orders not shipped

1 Million 5C orders not shipped

If there were zero supply constraints I'd bet they would have sold over 15 Mil phones.

Hmmm, I would tweak to:

6.5M 5s sold (almost nil in channel)

2.5M 5c sold (of which 500k in non-Apple retail store channel)

I doubt there's 6M 5s on order, probably a bit less.  Same with 5c orders, probably less than 1M on order (and not shipped).

Appears Apple is keeping up with 5c demand and probably weeks of inventory building up in certain colors.

I think we all agree that 5s demand is greater than last year, so no question that 5s demand will sustain thru Dec. 

The real story is whether 5c demand will sustain thru Dec (and beyond).  If 5c demand is strong thru Dec, this will be a HUGE win for Apple...because it means that Apple is indeed increasing market share "stealing" from competitors in the middle and middle/high end smart phones.

• Reply 75 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Selling well compared to what? iPhone 5S? iPhone 4S (yoy)? android phones?

If it's the first, then no sh1t. The latest and greatest from Apple will always be #1. They are primarily targeting two different groups with a little overlap.

Some people have claimed it would be a blow out hit. Compared to that.

Even you have not shown me any hard figures to show it is selling as well as the 4s did in the same position last year.

The question I have to ask is, "Why did Apple build the 5c instead of just offering us the 5, in keeping with the line-ups from other years?"

• Reply 76 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Name calling?

• Reply 77 of 105
    Quote:

The question I have to ask is, "Why did Apple build the 5c instead of just offering us the 5, in keeping with the line-ups from other years?"

- create product differentiation from the 5s (reduces cannibalization and customer confusion)

- better profit margin

- believes that customers prefer a new phone than an old phone

- colors are cool

- plastic: some actually prefer plastic and also it will compete directly with competitors offerings

• Reply 78 of 105
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Some people have claimed it would be a blow out hit.

Even you have not shown me any hard figures to show it is selling as well as the 4s did in the same position last year.

I don't think I ever claimed the 5C would be an initial weekend hit. That said, I believe it would do better than the 4S did last year for the Dec quarter. Again I don't think anyone said the 5C would out sell the 5S on the first weekend. (Although I may have when I thought the 5S would have supply issues).

My guess is Apple would like to differentiate the current model with "last year's model." In addition, a plastic case is probably simpler to mass-produce than a metal case.
  • Reply 79 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Again I don't think anyone said the 5C would out sell the 5S on the first weekend. (Although I may have when I thought the 5S would have supply issues).

Yes, I'd say that most rhetoric here was indeed that 5c would NOT out sell 5s (and by a decent margin) during launch weekend.

• Reply 80 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

- create product differentiation from the 5s (reduces cannibalization and customer confusion)

- better profit margin

- believes that customers prefer a new phone than an old phone

- colors are cool

- plastic: some actually prefer plastic and also it will compete directly with competitors offerings

Product differentiation: I like that idea, although it seems to create confusion for next year's line-up... but that could easily be fixed with a 4.3" phone.

Better profit margin: I like that idea as well, but the 5c is an unknown. If it doesn't sell as well as the 5 was projected to sell then the margins are still there but the revenue and profit might not be. You also run into problems next year.

New phone over old phone: I'm assuming that you mean that Apple is hoping that the 5c will sell better than the 5 in the same spot. If so, then that is my favorite reason. One that deserves careful scrutiny.

Colors are cool: Yes, colors are cool but do they sell an iPhone?

Plastic: Hmmm... this is my least favorite reason. Do enough people think plastic is better? Does Apple really have to offer a phone of this type to compete with competitors offering? Are the competitors offerings selling?

Good bunch of reasons.