Apple CEO Tim Cook to meet with investor Carl Icahn in NYC on Monday

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    tundraboy wrote: »
    I don't think that's the way to think about it when the company buys back its own stock.  A company can't own itself, not even partially.  They can't use shares they bought back to vote for board proposals that management supports.

When they buy stock back those shares are no longer outstanding and are best thought of as gone forever.  Now of course Apple can always sell stock to the public by issuing new shares.

Not true. Buying back shares and retiring them are two different matters. You can buy back shares without retiring them.

In fact, it is known that a portion of the shares that Apple is buying back will be distributed to employees rather than retiring them. One could, in theory, sell the shares back to the market to raise money (with Board approval, of course) if you wish - and meet the requirements.
    cpsro wrote: »
    Highly illegal. Cook can not divulge any planned activity that has not already been announced through legal channels.

That's also not true. SOME non-public material can be shared with individuals who need to know. Usually, it would require them to sign a non-disclosure agreement. For example, the people at Foxconn obviously knew the specs of the new iPhone long before it became public. There's no rule preventing information from being shared outside the company when there's a need for it.

Now, sharing information with Icahn would probably not serve a useful business purpose and it's unlikely that Cook is going to tell him anything of use. But your statement is too broad.
    quinney wrote: »
    One other thing investors do is fund startup companies. For example, Apple might never have gotten off the ground without capital from investors.

Agreed. I don't know what it is with people who don't have any clue how business operates but who are so willing to go into attack mode about things they don't understand.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I have 65 shares bought below $100 and I don't want short-term profiteers (stock pirates) messing with my long term position.

I agree with you but not that all stock holders are what he said.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    What is meant by "His support of the company..."? Support? How?

Same way you support a horse after betting on it: put some money down, make a lot of noise at your horse to run faster, watch them do all the work and hope you get more money back. If the horse wins, the person betting feels like they've made an achievement in picking the right one; if not, it's someone else's fault and they call for a new jockey or horse or back someone else. Same deal with any sport, the people in the stadium are called supporters but they're just sitting watching other people running around and shouting at them.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    I’m picturing Cook and Icahn sitting at a table, Icahn going on about some nonsense or whatever, Cook resting his head on a hand, sleepily staring blankly just over Icahn’s left eyebrow and subconsciously reaching across the table to nick his fries…

Tim would be struggling to prevent himself from saying 'I loved you as Skeletor in Masters of the Universe'. Carl looks a lot like Frank Langella in the picture.