Apple has raised $65M for RED's fight against AIDS, leads all supporters

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ndirishfan1975 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aussiepaul View Post

Apple is the worlds most valuable company with annual profits measured in billions. No offense but $65M raised over 7 years since 2006, or $10M per year is somewhat pathetic. Apple efforts are token gestures at best. Why not create one of the new iPhone 5c colors as a Product Red color for example? And yes, I buy Product Red wherever possible...

They are the worlds most valuable company who have donated $65 million from this one gesture alone. This is not the only charitable giving that Apple does I am sure. Either way, Bono seemed impressed with their "token gesture"

Of course Bono is going to say that, he's not going to cut off the hand that feeds him now is he?

But the reality is these are token gestures.  Apple's total operating profit over that period would be in excess of $100B.  $65M over the that period is just 0.065%.  I'm sorry, but 0.065% by anyone's measure is a "token gesture", substantially less than even the interest earned on that profit.  The amount is still 5-6 times smaller than many countries foreign aid budgets paid for by taxpayers.

I get your point about not being Apple's only charitable action, but the reality is it's a very small amount when put in perspective.  And here's the killer point: It's not Apple donating the money off the bottom line for charity's sake, it's simply cash being redirected from sales to consumers who are choosing to pay a premium for Product Red products because they support the cause.  So in some ways it's not even Apple donating the money.  More could be done.  It's a token gesture.

• Reply 22 of 30

You're right that it is not a cure for someone who already has it. And I'm not trying to start a religious war either. The Jews and Muslims have got similar values as well. What I'm trying to say, if tomorrow we woke up and all our children decided to keep their virginity until marriage and stayed committed through out that by the time they were old AIDS would diminish into an illness of the past. With the exception of some people who got it through transfusions or the like, most people acquired it by being immoral or being a victim from an immoral person. I'm not sure if AIDS is even a bad thing. If it thins out the herd by getting rid of those type of people it could be a positive for the future of mankind. 

• Reply 23 of 30
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Apple is the worlds most valuable company with annual profits measured in billions. No offense but $65M raised over 7 years since 2006, or $10M per year is somewhat pathetic. Apple efforts are token gestures at best. Why not create one of the new iPhone 5c colors as a Product Red color for example? And yes, I buy Product Red wherever possible...

They seem to be the most "token" gestures of any company, as stated by Bono.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Of course Bono is going to say that, he's not going to cut off the hand that feeds him now is he?

But the reality is these are token gestures.  Apple's total operating profit over that period would be in excess of $100B.  $65M over the that period is just 0.065%.  I'm sorry, but 0.065% by anyone's measure is a "token gesture", substantially less than even the interest earned on that profit.  The amount is still 5-6 times smaller than many countries foreign aid budgets paid for by taxpayers.

I get your point about not being Apple's only charitable action, but the reality is it's a very small amount when put in perspective.  And here's the killer point: It's not Apple donating the money off the bottom line for charity's sake, it's simply cash being redirected from sales to consumers who are choosing to pay a premium for Product Red products because they support the cause.  So in some ways it's not even Apple donating the money.  More could be done.  It's a token gesture.

and what are you doing for this charity (or any others)?
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by msmith71 View Post

You're right that it is not a cure for someone who already has it. And I'm not trying to start a religious war either. The Jews and Muslims have got similar values as well. What I'm trying to say, if tomorrow we woke up and all our children decided to keep their virginity until marriage and stayed committed through out that by the time they were old AIDS would diminish into an illness of the past. With the exception of some people who got it through transfusions or the like, most people acquired it by being immoral or being a victim from an immoral person. I'm not sure if AIDS is even a bad thing. If it thins out the herd by getting rid of those type of people it could be a positive for the future of mankind. 

Wow.

I guess nothing more needs to be said about you and your values. You just killed yourself here. If I were you I'd be making sure people don't know my real name. You know, there are people suffering from HIV and AIDS. They are people. Humans.

• Reply 26 of 30

Anecdotal, I remember reading that Steve Jobs refused to put his product in brackets.... But I think it would have been a better way to show support. I know it's a minor thing, but it would have been nice.

(iPod Mini) RED

I thought that was Bono's preferred way of writing it...

Just  a really minor thing, I know...

For those who think 65M is not enough.. of course it's not. 65M doesn't even buy you a decent ueber-mega yacht (think Russian billionaires, and not only them) So think of what would be possible if Abramovic gave one of his own up...

Does that put in perspective what Apple is doing and other are not?

• Reply 27 of 30
    Quote:

you say you don't to start a religious war, but that's exactly what you are doing.  It is the same historical convert or die mentality that cause so much suffering.

"I'm not sure if AIDS is even a bad thing. If it thins out the herd by getting rid of those type of people it could be a positive for the future of mankind. " - Kill all the sick, crippled and undesirables, that's your moral and biblical answer to all problems. A Product Red bible would make a better contribution. 

"What I'm trying to say, if tomorrow we woke up and all our children decided to keep their virginity until marriage and stayed committed through out that by the time they were old AIDS would diminish into an illness of the past."  - Virginity is the cure for AIDS. F/U/C/K YOU. Have you kept your virginity by taking it up the ass. 

None of the priests, pastors, nuns I knew ever preach or try to convert me, but holy rollers like you make me sick. 

• Reply 28 of 30
    [quote]You're right that it is not a cure for someone who already has it. And I'm not trying to start a religious war either. The Jews and Muslims have got similar values as well. What I'm trying to say, if tomorrow we woke up and all our children decided to keep their virginity until marriage and stayed committed through out that by the time they were old AIDS would diminish into an illness of the past. With the exception of some people who got it through transfusions or the like, most people acquired it by being immoral or being a victim from an immoral person. I'm not sure if AIDS is even a bad thing. If it thins out the herd by getting rid of those type of people it could be a positive for the future of mankind. [/quote]
    Think you should probably be quiet. If you really don't realise how offensive you are being, I feel very sorry for you and hope you get help. But seriously this is a site for people that like Apple products irrespective of there background.
    Admittedly there's a lot of arguments with people that may like a google or Microsoft product. But that's generally a bit of fun. Your comments are just pure offensive and the cause of many of the worlds problems.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Quote:

I have a cure for AIDS that is free but no one wants to listen. I am a Christian but I'm not here to say what is right and what is wrong but I know that if everyone would follow what the bible says about sex and marriage, AIDS would be totally gone in a generation or two. We should focus on cancer that attacks us all!!!

Just saying. image

You are preaching survival of the fittest, in that retrospect you would also not need a cure for cancer or a cure for any other desease. Also in the bible there are many stories about Jesus Christ helping the sick and weak in his society, even the most ignorant Christian has ever heard about the story of the leper.
    How does this stroke with not finding a cure for aids, that's not a very Christian remark in my humble opinion.
    Be happy that scientists never followed the bible litteraly otherwise you would be dead at the age of 35, 50% of your childeren would be dead before the age of 12, you would not have satelites, no global communication, ... the list is long.
    The bible is a 2000-1700 year old book giving a guideline on values to follow in life... it was never meant to be followed by the letter.

Just saying. image
  • Reply 30 of 30
    msmith71 wrote: »

A few things:

1) you clearly don't know what AIDS is, how it is contracted and how it is transferred.
    2) you are immoral. Innocent people die from this disease everyday. Even those who delay sex until marriage. That's right, once again, marriage is not a miracle cure for AIDS.
    3) you are insulting and small-minded
    4) you won't agree with me on any of the above. You think you're a morally sound person and you think you know what you're talking about. It's that kind of arrogance that really makes me angry.
    5) I don't even know how this came up on a site like this. Keep your stupid opinions to yourself, because I certainly never want to hear anything you have to say about anything ever again.