Apple seeking UI designer for 'secret' maps project, hints at future Web presence

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    Knock, knock, Google.  How's that whole ChromeOS thing going?

I'm using it right now. So far so good. Anything you're curious to know about it?
  • Reply 22 of 33

Originally Posted by Gluben View Post

Unless Apple also went into search and developed their own search engine that integrated with Apple Maps...

Well guess what.  Apple has been working on search for years in various forms.  Genius recommendations in iTunes, face recognition in iPhoto, and now Near Me on the iOS App Store.  The latter could be Apple's way of testing their own location-based search technology for eventual use in Maps.

• Reply 23 of 33

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I'm using it right now. So far so good. Anything you're curious to know about it?

Just curious how serious Google is about ChromeOS vs. Android.

Larry Page has said that Android exists only for the ad revenue that it generates.

Therefore ChromeOS must be Google's long-term platform.

Source: http://www.electronista.com/articles/12/04/18/larry.page.sees.android.as.vehicle.for.ads/

Oh, and I was asking Google rhetorically, not you, buddy.

• Reply 24 of 33
    Done about a year ago. Man, you’ve really missed out! Obama got reelected and everything.

Believe me, I would like to use Apple Maps. But it is so incredibly lacking (at least in my area) for business data and the ability to find addresses. For me, Google Maps saves the day until Apple fixes things.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member

Maps in iOS7 was a big step in the wrong direction. Hopefully they fix that first. 

• Reply 26 of 33
    wubbus wrote: »
    Believe me, I would like to use Apple Maps. But it is so incredibly lacking (at least in my area) for business data and the ability to find addresses. For me, Google Maps saves the day until Apple fixes things.
    stop lying
  • Reply 27 of 33
    smalm wrote: »
    Maps in iOS7 was a big step in the wrong direction. Hopefully they fix that first. 

Please detail these wrong directions they made.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Done about a year ago. Man, you’ve really missed out! Obama got reelected and everything.

LOL!

• Reply 29 of 33
    Originally Posted by akqies View Post

Please detail these wrong directions they made.

Didn’t take a left at Albuquerque.

• Reply 30 of 33
    Maps is already web based, it already has an app on the most capable platforms (iOS / OS X) which is actually just a native wrapper of the webpage. I seriously doubt Apple is going to develop a webpage version of Maps just to satisfy Windows and Android users who will most likely just stick to whatever platform they currently use which would be Bing and Google respectively.

I suspect there is going to be some amazing functionality being added to the Maps app which will be distributed over the web but accessed via the app.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Maps is already web based, it already has an app on the most capable platforms (iOS / OS X) which is actually just a native wrapper of the webpage. I seriously doubt Apple is going to develop a webpage version of Maps just to satisfy Windows and Android users who will most likely just stick to whatever platform they currently use which would be Bing and Google respectively.

I suspect there is going to be some amazing functionality being added to the Maps app which will be distributed over the web but accessed via the app.

1) No it doesn't.

2) If it's "just to satisfy Windows and Android users" then why do have Notes, Reminders, Contacts, Calendar, Mail, Numbers, Pages, and Keynote as web-based options? That kills your point.

3) Now consider that you claim that Maps in iOS and Mac OS X is already just basic web code with a wrapper around WebKit. If they went to all that trouble of using a less efficient method for building their new Maps apps then why not simply post it to their site? Or at least let Find My iPhone users access it from the backend instead of using Google Maps? That doubly kills your point.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Garmin needs some competition.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    My guess is that Apple Maps is not only going to become an HTML5 app, making it platform agnostic for the most part, but I think Apple may follow Google in developing a browser-based OS. It would make sense, particularly with Firefox OS and Chrome OS already working out the details while demonstrating the practical and business advantages. Even Android now allows Google Chrome v31 to install HTML apps to the home-screen where they generally work just like native apps. Facebook may have been just a bit hasty in abandoning HTML plans.