Apple's motion to intervene in Lodsys patent dispute thrown out by judge

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A Texas judge last week dismissed a motion that would have allowed Apple to intervene in patent-holding firm Lodsys' ongoing attacks against iOS app makers, hindering the Cupertino company's ability to protect developers that provide the backbone of its important iOS ecosystem.

Lodsys

After two years of fighting to render aid to iOS app developers under fire from Lodsys, Apple saw its motion to intervene shot down by East Texas Judge Rodney Gilstrap, who rendered the company's challenge moot in an order last Tuesday, reports ArsTechnica.

The publication notes that Judge Gilstrap's decision not only dismissed Apple's motion, but allowed Lodsys to settle all cases with defendants.

According to Apple, the so-called "patent troll" uses a litigation technique in which app makers are threatened with patent infringement claims, or in some cases sued, to force "quick and cheap" settlements. Lodsys then dismisses or stays any claims before Apple's own counterclaims are ripe for decision.

By asking for relatively small royalties, Lodsys has been successful in extracting money from developers that would rather pay the fees than fight a a possibly drawn-out and expensive court battle.

Since 2011, Lodsys has been systematically targeting iOS app developers with patent infringement assertions regarding in-app purchasing. Apple, which already licensed the patents-in-suit with their previous owner Intellectual Ventures, argues that the existing arrangement should extend to cover iOS app devs that use the company's in-app purchasing API.

While Apple's argument, much of which dealt with a broader scope of the patent troll's tactics, may have been valid for an active case, but the motion was technically applied to suits in which the parties had already settled. Lodsys consequently filed to dismiss Apple's claims as moot, a motion Judge Gilstrap agreed with last week. He elaborated that Apple's broader claims were not applicable to the instant action due to the vast scope of cases it considered.

The jurist proposed Apple take action against Lodsys itself, though the effectiveness of such a suit is questionable given that the patent-holding firm already stated it recognizes Apple's license and has no grievance with the company. Another option could be for Apple to intervene in an upcoming case, but Lodsys' "quickly and cheaply" tactic may thwart any such attempts until that very strategy comes under scrutiny.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37

The judges in East Texas are so completely inbred and in cahoots with the patent trolls, it's not even funny.

• Reply 2 of 37
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Can we just declare war on eastern Texas? Technology issues should not be tried in that region as there is too much bias towards economic benefits to the plaintiffs filing there, Motel 6 is probably $186 per night, with special attorney discount.

• Reply 3 of 37
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Why is it that this insanity has been widely reported for years and yet no one has yet done anything about it?
  • Reply 4 of 37
    If I was a developer here in NZ could I tell Lodsys to go suck my big fat nether regions? We have just passed a law that software patents can't be given out. Considering I would be a developer in NZ, Lodsys wouldn't have a leg to stand on would they?

I suggest all developers move to New Zealand and tell Lodsys to go hang themselves.
  • Reply 5 of 37

Take a look at who is representing Lodsys....

Now take a look at who is on Eastern District Court...

Hmm, those names look awfully similar.  

I am sure there is no conflict of interest there anywhere.

• Reply 6 of 37
    More like - By asking for relatively small royalties, Lodsys has been successful in EXTORTING money from developers that would rather pay the fees than fight a possibly drawn-out and expensive court battle.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    And if Apple hadn't successfully argued a patent on a wedge and a bouncing screen, I'd feel bad for them. Patent trolling is a double edged sword.
  • Reply 8 of 37

When I read the headline this came to mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcHWeAzoXd4 Can the Eastern Texas District be slapped a class action suit for mistrials resulting from conflict of interest and corruption?

• Reply 9 of 37
    Another judge and police captain in a small town next to east Texas finally got caught stopping motorist and coming up with false charges, they then would demand instant payment or the couples kids would be taken into protective custody since the parents were criminals and did not pay fine.

Final action did not penalize the police captain or judge but just made them stop. The level of actual justice in this country is being flushed down the drain for a quick buck and local power.

Its a sad state of affairs.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    I wish Mikey would write more articles.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    If Apple wants to support the developers they should start funding legal defences of the developers. I good team of lawyers should defeat Lodsys, and then a common law precedence will be set. Apple should put it's money where it's heart and mouth is...
  • Reply 12 of 37
    I wonder if Apple could file a lawsuit for breach of contract. And perhaps silently assist in a class action suit for harassment or some such by the developers over this extortion.

Just file it somewhere other than east texas
  • Reply 13 of 37
    If I was a developer here in NZ could I tell Lodsys to go suck my big fat nether regions? We have just passed a law that software patents can't be given out. Considering I would be a developer in NZ, Lodsys wouldn't have a leg to stand on would they?

I suggest all developers move to New Zealand and tell Lodsys to go hang themselves.

Is that true? So if you developed an app there in NZ, could I steal it and tell you to go suck my big fat nether regions? Does Samsung have an office there?
  • Reply 14 of 37
    The big problem is not patent itself. Been fighting for years in Europe to stop ridiculous patent. I think some of the Apple patent are ridiculous (like the rubber band stuff) and one of the recent Apple patent filing step right on my toe ... Oh well, not much I could do about it. The problem is a bit like trading future for agriculture products; back then you are not allow to trade this thing unless you are farmer or in the related industry. Then the rule relax a few years ago. We seen food price going through the roof, thanks to all the banks stir fry the price sky high.

Same thing should apply to this shell company! If they are just empty holding then they shouldn't be allow to trade such thing. There is no economic benefit here apart from those who have. And they get more.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cletus View Post

Is that true? So if you developed an app there in NZ, could I steal it and tell you to go suck my big fat nether regions? Does Samsung have an office there?

No, that'll still be a breach of copyright, intellectual property and possibly trademark laws, so you will rightfully be sued.

What you could do is reverse engineer the application, and write your own version, or just produce an app which does something very similar, as long as you don't simply steal the other guy's code.

• Reply 16 of 37
    It seems that most of the posters here are missing the key line of the whole article - that being "[B].....But the motion was technically applied to suits in which the parties had already settled[/B]

In other words those cases are done and are not subject to a "Legal Mulligan" in which case the judge was 100% correct in throwing out Apple's motion.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Judge Rodney Gilstrap:

SSHOLE

• Reply 18 of 37
    rptrpt Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eldernorm View Post

Another judge and police captain in a small town next to east Texas finally got caught stopping motorist and coming up with false charges, they then would demand instant payment or the couples kids would be taken into protective custody since the parents were criminals and did not pay fine.

Final action did not penalize the police captain or judge but just made them stop. The level of actual justice in this country is being flushed down the drain for a quick buck and local power.

Its a sad state of affairs.

You are totally off the point, this is a US federal court, and the judge is appointed by the president, he is a native of Florida, and may even know something the average readers on this forum do not know about law, at least his doctorate in law may indicate this.

Blaming the current state of US patent law on local conditions in Eastern Texas is probably not very reasonable.

• Reply 19 of 37
    cash907 wrote: »
    And if Apple hadn't successfully argued a patent on a wedge and a bouncing screen, I'd feel bad for them. Patent trolling is a double edged sword.

Woke up today, and decided like you'd like to display your cluelessness?
  • Reply 20 of 37
    It seems that most of the posters here are missing the key line of the whole article - that being ".....But the motion was technically applied to suits in which the parties had already settled

In other words those cases are done and are not subject to a "Legal Mulligan" in which case the judge was 100% correct in throwing out Apple's motion.

This is exactly right. Nothing to see here.