Los Angeles school district begins repossessing iPads from students

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cashxx View Post

From what I read they mentioned a config profile that the students removed. To be this sounds like the Admin didn't protect the configuration profile and allowed anyone to delete it. Sounds like the Admins fault to me if that is the case.

I mentioned this in the other post about LA schools, but there is a hole (bug?) in how Apple implemented MDM. There are two profiles installed with an MDM and while one is passcoded and can't be removed, the main one issued by the MDM company is easily removed with the click of the button. And when you remove that profile, both profiles are removed.

This is a problem that Apple needs to fix. It's not the fault of any admin.

• Reply 22 of 30
    Maybe they are going to do inventory checks on how many are in "unknown" as in home or lost?
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Apple stylists made IOS7 unusable by many low vision students. My recommendation would be to stop iPad purchases and look for better devices. Many individuals are doing this already. I hope Apple has not done something similar in Mavericks. I've been waiting a long time for a new MacPro but feel it may be unusable.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    jmncl wrote: »

Imagine you're 14 and, one summer, you hear on the news that you're getting iPads when you go back to school. You go back, are handed an iPad, and then they tell you that you can't browse the web, can't use it for personal projects and all you can do with it is look at Pearson apps."

That really wasn't the issue. The district IT office made a stupid call in how they set up the iPads, restricting via a profile that had no password on deleting. THAT was the issue. Dig around social media and kids were talking about it.

And knowing LAUSD there was likely no use contract so they can discipline the kids that deleted it, took iPads off campus after being told not to etc.

These iPads are district property so like it or not they have the right to restrict them. They are textbooks not toys. The district just needed folks that had a clue setting them up. Given the timing they could have just waited for iOS 7 which has way better MDM than many of these outside options.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Yes you can use facebook.
    Sure you can use twitter.
    Ya, you may use the internet.
    Of course you can take them home.

Your assignment is due Thursday don't turn it in late. No excuses. I also want you to read pages 26_32 of you science book. We are going to talk about it tomorrow. No excuses.

Why would you put ANY restrictions on the use of their iPads? Especially kids! Kids don't need a break from work? Kids don't need to be social? Fucking rediculious.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by BadFlounder

So continue to live in a state which doesn't even try things like this to better their students education. Yeah, that is MUCH better eh?

Thanks for claiming California is the only state doing anything like this. When you’ve further posts, just tag them with “humor”.

Originally Posted by thompsbk View Post

Apple stylists made IOS7 unusable by many low vision students. My recommendation would be to stop iPad purchases and look for better devices. Many individuals are doing this already. I hope Apple has not done something similar in Mavericks. I've been waiting a long time for a new MacPro but feel it may be unusable.

Thanks for the complete lies, at least. If you really cared at all, you’d look on Apple’s website to see how wrong you are.

• Reply 27 of 30
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    hodar wrote: »
    Why is it wrong to hold a state responsible for how it spends the taxpayer's dollar?

Instead of trying every "new" thing (like handing out iPads); how about actually applying tactics that have a history of working? You know, teaching basic math, reading and science. Based upon the data found online (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_educational_attainment ) you can see that California rates at #48 our of 50 states. Pretty miserable.

It would help if you choose a reasonable metric. Yours is "2009 percentage of population 25 years old with a High School diploma or higher".

Sorry, but that has nothing to do with educational performance. For example, CA has a much higher immigrant population than most of the US. Many of those immigrants never had a high school diploma.

When you look at actual educational performance, CA performs much better. And when it comes to college graduation rates, CA is in the top 10.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    cash907 wrote: »
    Gee, who saw this going bad? LA Unified is ridiculously in the hole right now, yet they can somehow dig up 30 million to buy kids iPads to abuse? Ok.
    This is why I'd never live in Cali. I could pay those ridiculous taxes if they actually went to something useful.

LA adults voted for the tech bond that paid for them. And the way these bonds work they can't be used for anything but what the voters approved. So no flipping it to salaries or whatever.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    So...the kids are smart enough to teach themselves complicated technology like VPN and proxies, and then show their friends, but too dumb to learn history and math with paper books?

No VPN etc required to remove an unprotected profile.

But if there was, that's more useful skills in today's work place than being about to rote spew out a bunch of dates you had to learn to pass a standardized test
  • Reply 30 of 30
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    smackdown wrote: »
    OK, LA Unified School District is basically forcing the students to use the tablets at school, but not at home (especially online)?

Simple solution:

Give the students Android or Surface tablets.

All the hard data show that very few people use Android or Surface tablets online (or anywhere else for that matter). 

Data / facts, not opinion, folks.

http://gigaom.com/2013/07/23/the-ipad-accounted-for-84-3-percent-of-web-traffic-from-tablets-in-june/
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/23/apples-ipad-holds-on-to-massive-tablet-usage-lead-now-at-84

While I understand your attempt of sarcasm, it does also remain a fact that Windows tablets (at least Windows Pro ones) can be easily lock down to the level where users cannot install their own apps, or even access all the apps available on tablet by default.

A bit draconian, yes. But these tablets are supposed to replace school books, not to be toys in students' hands. Students are more than welcome to purchase their own tablets for fulling around, IMHO.