Reuters: Retina iPad mini may not launch in 2013 due to supply constraints

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I would agree with this when we're talking about specs for specs sake. But I don't put a retina display in that category, Just today Dell announced a new Ultrabook with Macbook Pro like high res display and 13 hour battery life. Which begs the question, could Apple product a rMBP in an Air like form factor? Because it appears that Windows OEM's aren't having problems doing it with Ultrabooks.

Lenovo too
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/11/lenovo-thinkpad-business-notebooks-haswell/
  • Reply 62 of 71
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I would agree with this when we're talking about specs for specs sake. But I don't put a retina display in that category, Just today Dell announced a new Ultrabook with Macbook Pro like high res display and 13 hour battery life. Which begs the question, could Apple product a rMBP in an Air like form factor? Because it appears that Windows OEM's aren't having problems doing it with Ultrabooks.

Again who says they can't. Just because they haven't doesn't mean they can't.
  • Reply 63 of 71
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Yes, yes, we all know Apple is doomed. It's just a matter of time before they assume room temperature. 

That sounds like a cool saying. What does it mean? Did you make it up or is it a common saying my parents neglected to teach me?

• Reply 64 of 71
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

What are they supposed to do? Invent unicorn-powered batteries that can power a 35% bigger retina display (vs. the Nexus 7) for the same volume without reducing battery life or making the device heavier or thicker? 

Also keep in mind that the iPad mini has a somewhat wider body compared to the Nexus 7. Moreover, the newer chipset ought to be more efficient; this is the main reason the Nexus 7 achieves its results despite having a smaller battery compared to the first generation model.

• Reply 65 of 71
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

You're talking about the Dell XPS 11, which at $999 only includes an i3 and 80GB of SSD (vs. i5 and 128GB on the Air), and features a wonderful "capacitive touch" keyboard and that will be shipping in unknown quantities in November? How many of these will they sell? Dell may be able to move a lot of $400 15" laptops, but I'm not sure this thing will be a raging success that necessitate mass-production.

And unless I'm mistaken, that high-res Lenovo Thinkpad Gatorguy linked to weights 5.45 pounds(!) and only has 6 hours of battery life. The latest Samsung high-res laptops announced a couple of months ago weight something in between the Air and the Pro, with the price of the Pro, and don't really have the 12h battery life that was "mistakenly" put in their confusing press release.

And we still don't know anything about the Haswell MacBook Pros, which may well be thinner and lighter to the point of being close to the Air.

• Reply 66 of 71
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

Also keep in mind that the iPad mini has a somewhat wider body compared to the Nexus 7. Moreover, the newer chipset ought to be more efficient; this is the main reason the Nexus 7 achieves its results despite having a smaller battery compared to the first generation model.

But the mini is also thinner (7.2mm vs. 8.56mm), so in volume they're roughly equal. Actually, if you just go with the height x width x depth measurements, the iPad mini has a smaller volume than the 2013 Nexus 7. (The Nexus is slightly more curved on the back, so that's why I said "roughly equal").

Not sure what you mean about "the new chipset", even if Apple puts a new more efficient chipset (which obviously they'll have to do), they still have to power up a 35% larger screen compared to the Nexus.

• Reply 67 of 71
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

Not sure what you mean about "the new chipset", even if Apple puts a new more efficient chipset (which obviously they'll have to do), they still have to power up a 35% larger screen compared to the Nexus.

I meant that although the higher res display uses more power, the other components of the Nexus 7 use less. So the power consumption balances out in the end. See the "platform power consumption" chart: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7231/the-nexus-7-2013-review/2

• Reply 68 of 71
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Again the same BS as the iPhone and Appleinsider is going to publish it all over again?

- supply constraints (stock drops),

- leaks (stock drops),

- lack of interest from the public (stock drops),

- interest rises (stock drops),

- release of the device (stock drops),

- bad jokes, Apple is dead, some analyst lose hope on Apple  (stock drops),

- Awesome sales proving all previous stuff was a made up lie  (stock goes up 2 dollars),

- Analysts analyse lines and amount of time for things to go out of stock ( (stock drops),

- Apple gives amazing numers (stock goes up 2%),

- Analysts are proving wrong, but still attack Apple's numbers  (stock drops),

- Nothing happens....  (stock drops).

- Carl Icahn eats (Stock goes up).

repeat.

Lol good post.  Same BS that they put out about the 5s.  Analysts just like to here themselves talk.  They really have no clue.

Even when Tim Cook warns them they dont listen:

Quote:

Months of rumors about order cuts and so forth, so let me take a moment to comment on these. No comment on any particular rumor. 

I suggest its good to question the accuracy of any kind of rumor about build plans. Even if a particular data point were factual, it would be impossible to interpret that data point as to what it meant to our business. The supply chain is very complex and we have multiple sources for things. Yields can vary, supplier performance can vary. There is an inordinate long list of things that can make any single data point not a great proxy for what is going on.

Analysts dont want the truth.  Truth is boring.  Lies sell better, and garner more "clicks".

• Reply 69 of 71
    I agree with the volume issue. Whatever Apple decides to include in the new iPad mini 2 will need tens of millions of components to handle the fall rush. It's easier to produce a new product when less massive quantities need to be created for sale. Remember last fall when Apple prematurely announced the new iMacs, which weren't really available in volume until the new year. I actually had to wait until March to get mine. So, if Apple can't produce the volumes it needs of a completely new mini, I expect we'll see something using current components at reduced prices to handle the fall.

Concerning the retina display issue specifically, Apple will probably be gluing the display and the cover glass glass together to keep it as thin as possible, in addition to making other changes to keep the power usage down. If Apple was willing to make a thicker device, it could probably easily crank out a new mini with off-the-shelf components, which offers the option to include a much larger battery, but that's not its way. Apple engineers its products, it doesn't throw them together.
  • Reply 70 of 71
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    vl-tone wrote: »
    You're talking about the Dell XPS 11, which at $999 only includes an i3 and 80GB of SSD (vs. i5 and 128GB on the Air), and features a wonderful "capacitive touch" keyboard and that will be shipping in unknown quantities in November? How many of these will they sell? Dell may be able to move a lot of $400 15" laptops, but I'm not sure this thing will be a raging success that necessitate mass-production.

And unless I'm mistaken, that high-res Lenovo Thinkpad Gatorguy linked to weights 5.45 pounds(!) and only has 6 hours of battery life. The latest Samsung high-res laptops announced a couple of months ago weight something in between the Air and the Pro, with the price of the Pro, and don't really have the 12h battery life that was "mistakenly" put in their confusing press release.

And we still don't know anything about the Haswell MacBook Pros, which may well be thinner and lighter to the point of being close to the Air.
    No, actually I was referring to the XPS 15.
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/2/4793836/dells-new-xps-15-aims-to-be-the-king-of-portable-windows-machines#comments
  • Reply 71 of 71
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Again who says they can't. Just because they haven't doesn't mean they can't.
    I didn't say they couldn't. I wish they would. If I could wring some of the conservatism out of Apple I would. :p

Anyway I'll be disappointed if we get non-retina mini this year because Apple thinks they can squeeze another year of sales out of the device without having to go retina. If there really are engineering issues then I hope they don't update the mini (and pretend they had no intention of releasing a retina mini this year) only to update it again in 4-6 months with retina.