Apple partner Qualcomm pans iPhone 5s A7 CPU as 'gimmick,' yet hints at own 64-bit chip

Comments

• Reply 41 of 172
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

The a7 is fantastic.

Do we know what this means? Yes, it means Apple had to (only god knows why) limit the RAM to 1gb so iOS 9 doesn't run that great on the 5s.

Seriously Apple, what the hell? There's 0 reason for it.

By far the best tech company of all time... yet, on things like RAM on iDevices and the screen on the macbook air, lack of keyboard lights on the 2010 air, they are pathetic.

They have 150 billion staying still. Don't know how to spend it? there's no need for it... Just lower your margins a little by increasing value on devices.

Just because all of the other OEMs are pathetic on the high end, it doesn't mean that Apple shouldn't be pushing forward.

p.s: forgot about memory on idevices. still 16gb on a 700€ phone? please.

RAM sucks up a lot of power when idle.

Adding more RAM than necessary is a surefire way to battery power hell.

• Reply 42 of 172
    ejms wrote: »
    He said: "There's zero benefit a consumer gets from that."

Why his company wants to come with a 64-bit CPU then????????

What a retard!

It's what you're supposed to say when you're caught off guard by Apple. Also, never praise Apple, and always express envy over any praise they receive.
  • Reply 43 of 172

64 bit addressing mode is only one of a lot features provide by ARM v8. Marketing people just don't said it's ARM v8 because it's harder for customer to know what ARM v8 is. So 64 bit is easy marketing term but it's not a 'gimmick'.

• Reply 44 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

There is zero getting around Qualcomm in the mobile industry. They essentially own everything that is CDMA, and 21% of  LTE, good luck. Almost no one else is making broadband modems like they are these days. 

Looking ahead to the future, isn't CDMA dead/dying? And, if they have only 21% of LTE, Apple can surely go with the other 79%?

And what is the basis for your assertion that 'no one else is making broadband modems like they are'?

• Reply 45 of 172
    Call me crazy, but I foresee an Arm based MacBook running OSX
  • Reply 46 of 172
    taking tech info from a marketing troll... priceless...
  • Reply 47 of 172
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member

er...former apple partner qualcomm...

• Reply 48 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Looking ahead to the future, isn't CDMA dead/dying? And, if they have only 21% of LTE, Apple can surely go with the other 79%?

And what is the basis for your assertion that 'no one else is making broadband modems like they are'?

CDMA will be around for another decade at least, the future is meaningless when backwards compatibility is still important, not to mention the largest US carrier's backbone is still CDMA, as is China. Whether it's used or not it's included in nearly all multimode modems in phones meaning Qualcomm is getting paid regardless. 

I think you misunderstood, Qualcomm owns 21% of LTE, as in 2nd largest patent holder for the technology. Unavoidable again. My assertion? Name one large scale OEM shipping a phone with something other than a Qualcomm modem. Intel just rolled out the XMM7160 that industry folk hope to break into Qualcomm's near monopoly in the space. Marvell also makes one but also largely unproven. Qualcomm is best of breed, and you can bet Apple will continue to use them as well. 

• Reply 49 of 172
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

The a7 is fantastic.

Do we know what this means? Yes, it means Apple had to (only god knows why) limit the RAM to 1gb so iOS 9 doesn't run that great on the 5s.

Seriously Apple, what the hell? There's 0 reason for it.

The iPhone 5s only has 1GB of RAM because it isn't RAM hungry like Android phones and doesn't need the extra RAM. What exactly are you running on a 5s that truly needs more than the 1GB of RAM available? If you're running something on your 5s that needs more than 1 GB of RAM it's likely not really best run on a phone.

What the f.....???

it limits the device, especially for things that could be done in the next few years.

What is wrong with you?

chicken and eggs. There's nothing TODAY that demands more than 1gb of ram because there is no idevice with more than 1gb of ram.

What were you doing that demanded more than 256mb of ram?

• Reply 50 of 172
    Does Flash memory not use the address space? Seems it is larger than 4GB so wouldn't it be able to take advantage of the 64 bits?
  • Reply 51 of 172
    Yes, digitalclips. Someone is keeping track of anti-iPhone quotes. This guy made the iPhone Death Watch.

http://aaplinvestors.net/stats/iphone/iphonedeathwatch/

Also there's an iPad Death Watch as well.
    http://aaplinvestors.net/stats/ipad/ipaddeathwatch/
  • Reply 52 of 172
    Biting the hand that feeds you.
  • Reply 53 of 172
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    You would think this guy would know better.
  • Reply 54 of 172
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Where's Soli when you need him?

Miss that guy...

• Reply 55 of 172

To the guys talking about an arm macbook air:

Samsung is selling the ativ book 9 lite (?) for 700 euros. it has 4gb ram and a 128gb ssd. The processor? "samsung quad core", of course. What is that? Of course, coming from samsung, is it just some sort of exynos slow as hell BS, or some sort of AMD processor with samsung branding and "quad core" to fool the usual carcasses that buy galaxy s4?

I have no interest on that POS at all, I own a 2011 macbook air. The point is: If samsung can do it and overprice it, oh boy. Apple can clearly build one hell of a mac for that price.

3x A7, same Air battery (is it 5x bigger than the one on the iPhone?), 4 gb ram, clean OSX (or something iOSside) 128gb ssd 1gb read/write.

Let the intel tax go, make it smaller and/or thinner or put a bigger battery (no intel cpu, no fan), put 4g on the damn thing, 800 euros, 24h battery life and little pedro gets one tomorrow.

• Reply 56 of 172

The biggest benefit of 64-bit registers unfortunately might be too late for software.  The use of 32-bit registers for counters created a whole new class of integer overflow bugs.  32-bits is just large enough for a counter that is okay for a while and then inevitably overflows.  But it is too late now to easily fix all the broken software out there.

• Reply 57 of 172
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    andysol wrote: »
    Miss that guy...

Me too.
  • Reply 58 of 172
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Call me crazy, but I foresee an Arm based MacBook running OSX

Over time all their own technology inside a Mac might be the plan but I wonder if Apple might not add one of their own A chips to a Mac as well as the Intel and allow some sort of hybrid in the short term.
  • Reply 59 of 172
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

iOS server? ;)

Wouldn't that be something? I wonder how many A7X server CPU's they could pack into a server rack. Probably hundreds compared to dozens today

• Reply 60 of 172
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Qualcomm's modems really are by far the best around. They're the Rolls Royce of cellular modems. More bands, better compatibility, easier integration, superior support and a whole lot more.

Apple could go with someone else but only if they want to make an inferior product.