2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,815member
    Motion Gate!
  • Reply 22 of 26
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Or at least such repetitive, meaningless posts wouldn't occur. zzzz

Have you no desire to appear intelligent and original?

Ahhhh, it is not meaningless as you claimed, why because these link bait blogs are persistently find for faults after every new OS or iPhone are introduced to get more hits.

One more thing what is original nowadays, even you comment of a comment isn't.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    harmonharmon Posts: 48member

Hmmm ... my 5s asks to join WiFi networks when I'm driving.  Thought that wasn't supposed to happen with the M7 & iOS 7.  Maybe I've got a bad M7.  Anyone else experience this?

• Reply 24 of 26
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Really? You're that bent out shape because of a uncalibrated inclinometer, or is this sarcasm? If not I have better things to worry about.
  • Reply 25 of 26

I am not a technician but rather an interested but confused iPhone 5s buyer who wants to know if I made the right investment for 900 EUR (here in Germany).

If I buy a technical device/gadget I want to be sure that the new version - is at least - made with the same quality components - if not better ones - than the previous generation (in my case an iPhone 4s).

"Don't fix if it aint broke!"

So in my research I found this newsletter online:

http://newsletter.spezial.de/home/article/146/digitale-beschleunigungs-sensoren

It is in GERMAN and describes the different motion sensors manufactured by Bosch/Germany.

One of those sensors - the BMA220 (ironically) the cheapest one - gets compared to the others from Bosch.

The BMA220 is presumably the one built into the iPhone 5s and is said to have a resolution of 6bit.

The last sentence made me think (I try to translate as good as I can):

"Sensors with a 6-bit resolution are suited very well for simple tasks like Landscape/Portrait switchings of displays or an upside/down recognition (PLUD) of devices.

-> Due to its high sensitivity the high-resolution sensor BMA180 can also be used as a digital (spirit) level."

The BMA180 has a resolution of 14bit vs. the 6bit resolution of the BMA220 supposedly used in the iPhone 5s.

In the iPhone 5 they used a motion sensor from a different company that had 16bit resolution.

So I wonder:

Was the BMA220 ever considered to be used as spirit level by the manufacturer ???

Has Apple chosen the BMA220 because it much cheaper BUT also needs less power in order to work with the new M7 ?

I don't know but maybe that could be the reason why those levels in the iPhone 5s are not as accurate as in the iPhone 5 and iPhone 4s….

Maybe a software update can fix it. I have no idea how it works technically but in my opinion it should not be that hard to tell the software that the readout has to be corrected for a certain amount before it is gonna be displayed in the app. That is what I would call calibration.

BUT I could only accept that when it is corrected SYSTEMWIDE in the iPhone software. It makes no sense to have a calibrated spirit level app when the panorama photo function or games are crooked.

Just my 2 cents…

If they don't fix it in the next 12 days I am gonna give it back in the return period and wait until it is fixed.

I can wait.

PS: My digital level is off 1° but still it bugs me in my photo capture software (Camera+) because the horizon is a little bit off.

• Reply 26 of 26
    Mine was off by 4-6 degrees. Took it to an apple store and they confirmed that most of the 5s they tested had the issue but there was no fix. They swapped my phone out and the new one which is still from the initial batch they got is off by 2-3 degrees. Hurray...