Apple releases OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion supplemental update, iTunes 11.1.1

Posted:
in macOS edited August 2020
Apple on Thursday released a supplemental update for its Mountain Lion operating system, containing stability and compatibility improvements, as well as a minor update to iTunes with patches for new podcast listening features.

Supplemental Update


According to the release notes, OS X 10.8.5 Supplemental Update 1.0 contains fixes for issues with Mail and screensaver behavior, as well as performance enhancements for AFP file transfer over 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Xsan reliability.

From the release notes:
The OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.5 Update is recommended for all users running OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.5. This update:
  • Resolves an issue that may prevent certain applications from using the FaceTime HD camera on mid-2013 MacBook Air systems
  • Fixes an issue that may cause external hard drvies to be ejected after the computer goes to sleep
  • Addresses an issue that may prevent HDMI audio from working after waking from sleep
  • Fixes an issue that may prevent certain USB Bluetooth adapters from working
As noted above, the update is recommended for all Mountain Lion users. The latest 10.8.5 supplemental update can be downloaded from Apple's Support Downloads webpage, or via Software Update.

Released alongside the 10.8.5 update is iTunes 11.1.1 with fixes for iTunes Extras and management of deleted podcasts, as well as overall stability improvements.

The latest iTunes version can be downloaded through Software Update.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,383member
    Good, I was about to go back to full time beta Mavericks, Safari in 10.8.5 is crashing every five minutes for me. I hope this fixes that!
  • Reply 2 of 16
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    I hope this fixes the Home Sharing issues I've been having between Macs. It appears to be an iTunes-only issue that started with 11.1.0. You can play a video but after the first one the next will randomly freeze momentarily for an undetermined amount of time. This duration and frequency increases. This also occurs in a single video if you jumped around too much looking for a place to start. I couldn't find a resolution even though many others seem to have similar problems so I created a Dock Item using Automator that would kill and then restart the iTunes app.

    Good, I was about to go back to full time beta Mavericks, Safari in 10.8.5 is crashing every five minutes for me. I hope this fixes that!

    Safari crashes with this site, and only this site, in Mavericks. At least with Mavericks it's just that tab and it reopens again when it happens.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,502member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post



    Good, I was about to go back to full time beta Mavericks, Safari in 10.8.5 is crashing every five minutes for me. I hope this fixes that!

     

    If you have access to Mavericks you should be testing 6.1 Beta Safari.

  • Reply 4 of 16
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

    Ouch.

     

    This broke something for me.

     

     

    iTunes now constantly asks for permission to accept incoming network connections on starting up and various icons are out of alignment/corrupted.

     

    I'm now also getting a huge list of disk permissions that need repairing that I then repair and they return again.

     

    Anybody else having similar issues, or was I just 'lucky'?

     

    EDIT: 

     

    This issue has been addressed (thanks, Sol!) and appears to have been related to a one-off install corruption.

     

    I have since re-installed 11.1.1 (11) and everything appears to be working fine.

  • Reply 5 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,383member
    If you have access to Mavericks you should be testing 6.1 Beta Safari.

    I do and 10.9 is way better but I have been running back on ML for the last few weeks as some apps I needed didn't work properly in 10.9. I'm on a MBP so tomorrow I will swap my internal SSD out and go back and update 10.9 and see if they work ok yet. They were, After Effects CS6 (won't work period), GuitarMIDI … it works but only if I reboot and don't run anything till I launch it then LPX. The other was a plug in for Aperture which I found a work around for now. Nothing major but both used by me daily. I can't wait to get back to 10.9 it rocks!

    BTW I'd been 100% on 10.9 for the last few months and was quite surprised to have so many Safari crashes when I went back to ML. Yes mostly AI site but also CNN blogs (both if editing a comment) and maps.google and going to google earth plugin crashed in 10.8.5 for me.

    EDIT … Ok never thought of the 6.1 beta … I was not really intending to stay in ML long … Getting it now.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,383member
    akqies wrote: »
    I hope this fixes the Home Sharing issues I've been having between Macs. It appears to be an iTunes-only issue that started with 11.1.0. You can play a video but after the first one the next will randomly freeze momentarily for an undetermined amount of time. This duration and frequency increases. This also occurs in a single video if you jumped around too much looking for a place to start. I couldn't find a resolution even though many others seem to have similar problems so I created a Dock Item using Automator that would kill and then restart the iTunes app.
    Safari crashes with this site, and only this site, in Mavericks. At least with Mavericks it's just that tab and it reopens again when it happens.

    Yep same here. I also have found several other blogs that do the exact same thing.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Ignore
  • Reply 8 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

    If you have access to Mavericks you should be testing 6.1 Beta Safari.


     

    Safari 7 not good enough? :p

     

    I really don’t know why there’s a 6.1, much less a beta, given 7 is only a few weeks from launch.

  • Reply 9 of 16
    http://************/2013/10/03/apple-releases-os-x-10-8-5-supplemental-update-itunes-11-1-1-with-fixes/

    Finally fixes my problem and others! THIS is what i'm talking about!

    And TS, Check this Apple (and various IT Depts. ) mistake re: educational iPads as yet another example I tried to school you on. http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/10/03/schools-report-apples-ios-7-breaks-ipad-supervision-profiles

    I rest my case.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by Mac Daddy Zee View Post

    And TS, Check this Apple (and various IT Depts. ) mistake re: educational iPads as yet another example I tried to school you on. http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/10/03/schools-report-apples-ios-7-breaks-ipad-supervision-profiles



    I rest my case.

     

    What case? Refresh me on how a school not testing an update and updating their own software before it went out is Apple’s fault.

  • Reply 11 of 16
    jccjcc Posts: 300member
    gtr wrote: »
    Ouch.

    This broke something for me.

    <img alt="" class="lightbox-enabled" data-id="32784" data-type="61" src="http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/32784/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL" style="; width: 500px; height: 313px">


    iTunes now constantly asks for permission to accept incoming network connections on starting up and various icons are out of alignment/corrupted.

    I'm now also getting a huge list of disk permissions that need repairing that I then repair and they return again.

    Anybody else having similar issues, or was I just 'lucky'?

    EDIT: 

    This issue has been addressed (thanks, Sol!) and appears to have been related to a one-off install corruption.

    I have since re-installed 11.1.1 (11) and everything appears to be working fine.

    Weird, I actually got those permission errors after I did a migration assistant from an old mac to a new last week. Every time I repaired it, it would return. Did you just install the new version on top of the old or removed the old one first? Can you tell me what steps you took?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JCC View Post



    Weird, I actually got those permission errors after I did a migration assistant from an old mac to a new last week. Every time I repaired it, it would return. Did you just install the new version on top of the old or removed the old one first? Can you tell me what steps you took?

     

    Not a problem.

     

    1. Used Activity Monitor to quit iTunesHelper

     

    2. Try verifying and repairing disk permissions and see if that fixes the problem for you.

     

    3. If unsuccessful then go to Terminal and remove iTunes:

     

    cd /Applications

    sudo rm -r iTunes.app

     

    4. Remove iTuneshelper from user the user Login Items. Restart computer.

     

    5. Go to ~/Library/ and remove the iTunes Folder

     

    6. Go to ~/Library/Preferences/. Locate the preference files that have names beginning with com.apple.iTunes and drag them to the Trash. The file names should be com.apple.iTunes.eq.plist, com.apple.iTunes.plist, and com.apple.iTunesHelper.plist.

     

    7. Go to ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/. Locate the preference files that have names beginning with com.apple.iTunes and drag them to the Trash.

     

    8. Re-install iTunes.

     

    Hope that helps.

  • Reply 13 of 16
    jccjcc Posts: 300member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

     

     

    Not a problem.

     

    1. Used Activity Monitor to quit iTunesHelper

     

    2. Try verifying and repairing disk permissions and see if that fixes the problem for you.

     

    3. If unsuccessful then go to Terminal and remove iTunes:

     

    cd /Applications

    sudo rm -r iTunes.app

     

    4. Remove iTuneshelper from user the user Login Items. Restart computer.

     

    5. Go to ~/Library/ and remove the iTunes Folder

     

    6. Go to ~/Library/Preferences/. Locate the preference files that have names beginning with com.apple.iTunes and drag them to the Trash. The file names should be com.apple.iTunes.eq.plist, com.apple.iTunes.plist, and com.apple.iTunesHelper.plist.

     

    7. Go to ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/. Locate the preference files that have names beginning with com.apple.iTunes and drag them to the Trash.

     

    8. Re-install iTunes.

     

    Hope that helps.


     

    Thanks for the instructions. Does this screw up my library? This sounds like it will remove all my settings as well?

  • Reply 14 of 16
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JCC View Post

     

    Thanks for the instructions. Does this screw up my library? This sounds like it will remove all my settings as well?


     

    After re-installing iTunes I found my library the same as before, although it MAY mess with some of your settings.

     

    I haven't come across anything different myself just yet though.

  • Reply 15 of 16
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,671member
    gtr wrote: »
    [post]

    Good thing he's still around hey!
  • Reply 16 of 16
    mariomario Posts: 348member

    Adobe released update for After Effects yesterday that fixes crashing issue with Mavericks :D.

Sign In or Register to comment.