Voice actor behind Apple's Siri comes forward

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I think I remember comments from other Nuance voice contributors that it was a contract job and there' no on-going payments or royalties. The only one making money from those voices after-the-fact is Nuance from licensing fees.

Yes, but it's doubtful the rights assigned included broadcast advertising rights because at the time it was signed, Nuance probably never anticipated that it would be used that way.   The contract would also have to have included a phrase like, "in any and all media, both that known today and media that will be developed in the future..."

If it did, the actors are screwed.   If it didn't, an actor could indeed go after Nuance for exploiting rights they didn't have.   It doesn't matter if the contract was a work-for-hire or not.   What matters is what rights Nuance was specifically granted.   (I work in this area so I'm very familiar with what needs to be in the contract and who gets sued over what.    A publisher who had the rights to publish works around a licensed character published an ancillary book featuring that character.    The original rights holders went after them and they settled out of court for $12 million.)     

• Reply 42 of 46
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Lol. And the guy responds with "Yes Sir."

So? The Siri voice was recorded in 2005. Perhaps she was still working then.

My point was that by the time they understood it would be used in a mass market device like the iPhone, she was no longer with us, so they couldn't say, "hey, let's get Barrett", although if there are enough dialog recordings in the clear from her Star Trek performances, they could probably be used to construct the voice for Siri purposes by using individual syllables.  

• Reply 43 of 46
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    zoetmb wrote: »
    Yes, but it's doubtful the rights assigned included broadcast advertising rights because at the time it was signed, Nuance probably never anticipated that it would be used that way.   The contract would also have to have included a phrase like, "in any and all media, both that known today and media that will be developed in the future..."

If it did, the actors are screwed.   If it didn't, an actor could indeed go after Nuance for exploiting rights they didn't have.   It doesn't matter if the contract was a work-for-hire or not.   What matters is what rights Nuance was specifically granted.   (I work in this area so I'm very familiar with what needs to be in the contract and who gets sued over what.    A publisher who had the rights to publish works around a licensed character published an ancillary book featuring that character.    The original rights holders went after them and they settled out of court for $12 million.)     

Here's another one, "British Daniel".
    http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/11/10/voice-actor-british-siri-speaks-out/

and here's one that you'll be very interested in if you're not already familiar with the details.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/21/arts/television/21gta.html?partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=all&_r=0
  • Reply 44 of 46
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by a2gsg View Post

Please Apple... locate Douglas Rain as the voice for Siri... so that we can enjoy The Most Classic and Classy computer voice of all time --  the HAL 9000 computer -- in our pockets from 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) and its sequel, 2010 (1984).

I’m to understand he doesn’t want to associate himself with HAL anymore, for some reason.

Though he’d be my first choice for a voice like that.

• Reply 45 of 46
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    I understand Samsung has hired Gilbert Gottfried to be their voice.
  • Reply 46 of 46
    daphreev wrote: »
    In her CNN interview, she said she recorded the voices in 2005. Apple did not use Siri until 2010. Makes me think of what Apple has in store for the next few years...
    Accordingly the next iPhone or 2 designs was planned by Steve Jobs so yeah apple always have 5 year plan planned.

cash907 wrote: »
    ... Ok? Glad to see what CNN considers news-worthy this week. Not like anything else is going on right?