SEC ends review of Apple taxes, overseas cash

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 47
    DED

    Please stop using the word "repatriate" to describe the possibility of bringing money Apple earns offshore to the United States. The correct word is "patriate", not "repatriate" because that money was never before in the United States.

    Repeated erroneous use of the word "repatriate" likely contributes to a sense of grievance that is in all probability not justified.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    frood wrote: »
    .

    If you'd like to read up on how Apples sleaziness is different than Microsofts here are a few links from experts more qualified than I (and possibly even you):

    http://www.forbes.com/sites/leesheppard/2013/05/28/how-does-apple-avoid-taxes/
    http://www.foxbusiness.com/government/2013/05/21/apples-irish-tax-strategy-explained/

    Sorry, I for one am not going to those sleazy "news" sites to read about how "sleazy" Apple is. How about you just go ahead and try to make the case yourself, since you introduced the term?

    @Pontavignon, this is a good point. The language carries big assumptions.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    frood wrote: »
    I don't mind looking ridiculous =)

    I do agree with you that Microsoft's tax avoidance strategy is completely sleazy and quite a bit different than Apple's equally sleazy tax avoidance strategies.  I do not fault either company for their practices.

    If you'd like to read up on how Apples sleaziness is different than Microsofts here are a few links from experts more qualified than I (and possibly even you)

    You asserted that Apple and Microsoft were doing the same things. That's not true.

    Since you can google to find headlines that appear to support what you want to believe, try googling for the explanation of the false reports that were made about Apple by some group who didn't understand what was really going on and made false conclusions about the amount of taxes Apple was paying without even consulting Apple's own public SEC filings to get the facts.

    Do that and get back to is with your research as an apology for spreading the false report.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    "Data bites dogma . . ." makes for a funny headline, by the way. I wonder how many get it.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,454member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Well the media must have done a lousy job reporting Apple's tax evasion investigation in the first place. I never heard about it but glad that at least it's over with now. :\

    You and that dry sense of humor you rascal. :D

    But seriously, Who on planet earth could have missed the media circus and all the 'gotcha' moments when Apple was berated for being the number one tax dodger in the universe by the Apple hating media and Tim was being grilled by our esteemed politician. Who can forget McCain's closing comment ... 'Why does my iPhone need updating all the time?"

    Now I sit back and wait for the headlines everywhere to be all about the witch hunt ending ... :\
  • Reply 26 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,454member
    flaneur wrote: »
    "Data bites dogma . . ." makes for a funny headline, by the way. I wonder how many get it.

    It's a bit obvious ma :D

    Seriously, I would think every regular here chuckled.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,454member
    DED

    Please stop using the word "repatriate" to describe the possibility of bringing money Apple earns offshore to the United States. The correct word is "patriate", not "repatriate" because that money was never before in the United States.

    Repeated erroneous use of the word "repatriate" likely contributes to a sense of grievance that is in all probability not justified.

    The word meaning is slightly different when talking about money or people.

    Repatriate - Merriam-Webster Online

    www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/repatriate?

    re·pa·tri·ate. transitive verb r?-?p?-tr?-??t, -?pa-\. :

    To return (someone) to his or her own country.

    Business : to send (money) back to your own country.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,454member
    flaneur wrote: »


    @Pontavignon, this is a good point. The language carries big assumptions.

    The assumption here is assuming he is totally correct. Money is often referred to as being repatriated in this sense, perhaps because it is already Apple's money and 'consolidating' by sending it to the US it would be a better term.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    h2ph2p Posts: 311member
    DED

    Please stop using the word "repatriate" to describe the possibility of bringing money Apple earns offshore to the United States. The correct word is "patriate", not "repatriate" because that money was never before in the United States.
    Absolutely +1. Thank you for making this distinction, Pontavignon! Apple patriating profits into the US (thus paying "heavy" taxes) is a source of many embarrassing and ill informed comments about Apple being a tax avoider. Companies like Apple are under Zero obligation to bring cash earned overseas to the US. Although some Co's don't have ready money for expansion and may do it. Read the Appleinsider stories about the sound logic behind Apple borrowing to do a stock buy back -- saving piles of cash in the spread between borrowing interest and taxes.

    I thank the United States Government for finally recognizing this.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post





    Well the media must have done a lousy job reporting Apple's tax evasion investigation in the first place. I never heard about it but glad that at least it's over with now. image

     

    Never heard about it and yet you commented on it here:

     

    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/157629/tim-cook-testifies-apple-pays-all-of-the-us-taxes-it-owes

     

     

    :no: 

     

    Unbelievable .... literally.

  • Reply 31 of 47
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post





    You asserted that Apple and Microsoft were doing the same things. That's not true.



    Since you can google to find headlines that appear to support what you want to believe, try googling for the explanation of the false reports that were made about Apple by some group who didn't understand what was really going on and made false conclusions about the amount of taxes Apple was paying without even consulting Apple's own public SEC filings to get the facts.



    Do that and get back to is with your research as an apology for spreading the false report.

     

     

    And I stand by my assertion...  Both Apple and Microsoft are doing the same thing- legally avoiding taxes to the maximum extent possible.  I have no problem with that.  I never claimed their methods were identical, nor do I believe that now.

     

    I didn't cite any unreliable fringe groups who claim Apple committed a crime, so I feel no need to apologize for them.  I did cite Forbes.  Or is it your claim that Forbes is the unreliable fringe source and people should instead come to AppleInsider when they want well researched and credible articles?  What specifically in the Forbes article are they lying about?

     

    As long as it is legal I expect  Apple and Microsoft and Google to continue doing it.  I don't like it, but I don't fault them for doing it.  I do hope the governments (Europe is actually worse off than the US) shore up their tax codes and put an end to it.

     

    You are right, this is AppleInsider.  If you want to continue to spread the fairy tale that this is about congress singling out and attacking Apple specifically you can continue to do so.  It is a very effective way to rally the troops and get their Apple passion flowing, but it is still not truthful.  The government is looking at *all* the big offshorers to gain an understanding of how they are legally doing it, so that they can come with better laws to make it more difficult to do in the future.  Why is admitting that so difficult for you to do?  Attempting to disparage and discredit me isn't going to change that.

     

    If you want to get your readers passion fired up about Apple, why not focus on Apple's products instead?  There's plenty to be passionate about there (hopefully we can at least agree on that).

  • Reply 32 of 47
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 9,730member

    This was political grandstanding as usual. Haul some CEOs before a congressional panel, rake them over the coals by accusing them of following the very rules set up by said congressional panel, make it look like they're the bad guys, get their picture on CNN, and then drop the whole thing.

     

    As some politicians and executives ask when cleared of wrongdoing, "Where does Apple go to get their reputation back?"

  • Reply 33 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

    If the report shows Apple is not illegally or immorally avoiding paying US taxes (say different from Mitt Romney), then this is important information. Apple is not a tax dodger. 


     

    See, there you go. You already know it. So why waste money proving it?

     

    Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

    Unbelievable .... literally.


     

    Unless it’s an account being shared.

  • Reply 34 of 47
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    The assumption here is assuming he is totally correct. Money is often referred to as being repatriated in this sense, perhaps because it is already Apple's money and 'consolidating' by sending it to the US it would be a better term.

    Or "importing" into the US.

    Conventional usage is often misleading, and here we see where it fails.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    See, there you go. You already know it. So why waste money proving it?


    Unless it’s an account being shared.

    With all the trolls we have here why would anyone feel the need to share a troll account?
  • Reply 36 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,321member
    rayz wrote: »
    Never heard about it and yet you commented on it here:

    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/157629/tim-cook-testifies-apple-pays-all-of-the-us-taxes-it-owes


    :no:  

    Unbelievable .... literally.

    That's not an investigation of tax evasion, which is a criminal offense. Perhaps the OP doesn't understand the difference between it and legal tax avoidance. I actually went double-checking for a criminal investigation of Apple when he mentioned it and found nada. Knowing his business background I'll assume his mention of a criminal investigation was for dramatic effect.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,321member
    Unless it’s an account being shared.

    That's a new one. What's a shared account? As in "we are legion"? As a former moderator you were privy to all the IP addresses posted from. Did it look "shared " to you?
  • Reply 38 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

    That's a new one. What's a shared account? As in "we are legion"? As a former moderator you were privy to all the IP addresses posted from. Did it look "shared " to you?



    Nixon: Well I would suggest, Mr. Vancouver, that if you knew the President that, that was just a facetious remark.


  • Reply 39 of 47
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

    All part of the plan to publicly harass and intimidate high-profile American businesses to make points with the Left, while issuing bailouts to financial institutions and doing favors of all sort for close contributors and insiders.

     

    Pathetic! Thanks, Obama!

  • Reply 40 of 47
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    That's not an investigation of tax evasion, which is a criminal offense. Perhaps the OP doesn't understand the difference between it and legal tax avoidance. I actually went double-checking for a criminal investigation of Apple when he mentioned it and found nada. Knowing his business background I'll assume his mention of a criminal investigation was for dramatic effect.

    You're getting predictable in your old age, Gatorguy.

    Saw your deliberate splitting hairs between the term 'tax evasion' and 'tax avoidance' from about six years back.

    However, you also know that this was exactly how it was portrayed to the public in the many articles and stories written about it.

    One day it would be really interesting for us to sit down and you can tell me the story about how you came to be such a negative proponent of Apple, all the while developing an affinity for one of the worst privacy-respecting companies on the face of the planet.

    I can't even imagine what screwed you up that badly.
Sign In or Register to comment.