Product ban looms for Samsung in patent spat with Apple

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    ...Not only that, Apple still needs them more than they need Apple. 

Did you just write that with a straight face? Apple without Sammy: Mac, iPod, Phone, iPad, iOS 7, Apple TV, MBA, etc.
    Sammy without Apple: blackjack, galaxy gear.
    jragosta wrote: »
    But it's still based on the revolutions of the earth around the sun.

Why not simply use some arbitrary time standard - perhaps based on vibrations of the hydrogen atom.

I think it still needs to be based on the earth's orbit so we can compare year to year.
  • Reply 42 of 44
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    jungmark wrote: »
    I think it still needs to be based on the earth's orbit so we can compare year to year.

So why is it more important to follow the earth's revolution around the sun so that we can track year to year than to follow the earth's rotation so we can track days?

I would argue that being able to track days is far more important. Lots of people do just fine without knowing the exact day. Very few people would be OK with not knowing the time. With your scheme, you couldn't even do things like "work starts at 8 am every weekday morning". You'd have to give a different start time for every single day - forever.
  • Reply 43 of 44
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    jragosta wrote: »
    So why is it more important to follow the earth's revolution around the sun so that we can track year to year than to follow the earth's rotation so we can track days?

I would argue that being able to track days is far more important. Lots of people do just fine without knowing the exact day. Very few people would be OK with not knowing the time. With your scheme, you couldn't even do things like "work starts at 8 am every weekday morning". You'd have to give a different start time for every single day - forever.

Oh so true. That's why metric time won't work.