Apple hiring to improve battery life in future versions of OS X

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    I think they did a good job in mavericks with battery life. I got an extra 45 minutes out of my 2011 17" MacBook Pro.

I can't say I'm getting that much extra out of my battery life and obviously usage habit will affect it but I can say that battery life under Mavericks did improve over ML.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    Apple may want to consider hiring some of the many laid off engineers from NASA if they want battery and power management experts. :)

Can you imagine the battery life?!?! You could go weeks on 1 charge!
  • Reply 23 of 28
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Optimized code, reduced memory consumption, and reduced number of concurrently running processes would also help battery time.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    This is what I like about Apple. They continue to push ahead in all aspects of hardware and software design. From better physical batteries to better battery performance in their sw.

Just brilliant.

I agree... Apple is constantly working to differentiate their mobile products from all others. Apple is not content to have the most power efficient Intel CPU, they want to expand on that.

That being said, I do not expect Apple to drop intel for a more power efficient CPU/GPU, although it is possible that the iPad could grow in capability and become able to do much that a laptop can do. Then it would be up to market forces to force one or the other (or both) to being promoted and sold going forward.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    dugbug wrote: »
    I know it sounds cool, but it would create app compatibility / fragmentation.  I don't doubt one day arm can get to intel performance, but at the same time intel annually makes inroads into power savings too, and staying with intel does not split the mac osx ecosystem.

The OSX software will remain ignorant of touch on the screen input, while that will remain with iOS. The essential reason is that application written for touch or non-touch input need to remain quite different. This becomes really evident on Windows 8 where Excel running on Surface (Intel or RT) is clunky as hell for inputting touch info. To attempt to modify the application further would mean it would become clunky for a non-touch input.

Software becomes like a swiss army knife where it does nothing well...
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Yup, better power management will equate to either more powerful processing, longer hours between recharges or smaller & lighter portables. All welcome.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    inklinginkling Posts: 773member
    What I look forward to most with Mavericks is a feature that disables videos that aren't the focus of a user's attention. Hopefully, that means those annoying ads that run beside stories will be frozen and silent.Yeah!
  • Reply 28 of 28
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    inkling wrote: »
    What I look forward to most with Mavericks is a feature that disables videos that aren't the focus of a user's attention. Hopefully, that means those annoying ads that run beside stories will be frozen and silent.Yeah!

I agree; can't stand anything moving while I'm reading. I use ad blockers, Safari's build-in Reader option and on this site don't bother with the homepage; go straight to the forum. No ads, and many times it's more informative than the articles themselves, to boot.