iPhone 5s launch expected to boost Apple's gross margins to nearly 40%

Comments

• Reply 41 of 81
    Originally Posted by brians

No one else is charging $830 for a cell phone.

lol, Samsung.

Most manufacturers charging >$600 delivers a far more sophisticated phone than what Apple does.

Go shove your top hat and monocle where the sun doesn’t shine and buy one of those phones, then. Leave us alone.

Where exactly did Apple innovate with the latest phones?

Shut up and go away, you worthless idiot.

• Reply 42 of 81
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    jamesmac wrote: »
    Yes, of course 64 bit systems can address less than 4GB of RAM and yes, 32 bit systems can address more than 4GB of RAM.  The issue is, how efficiently? 

True, but Apple is pushing the 64 bit aspect of the A7 design aren't they?   I can't say I blame them, as it's good marketing to do so, and most people wouldn't know an ISA from a hole in the wall.

The performance is had from moving to 64-bit ARM as the instruction set is much more efficient and Obj-C can doubly benefit from it so your claim that it's only marketing is BS>
  • Reply 43 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

James,

please read up more on the A7.  Your comments are grossly ignorant.  Some may even mistake your ignorance for trolling.  Your comments about the A7 sound very similar to an Qualcomm executive who was trying to excuse the A7 chip.  Yet in the same interview he said Intel was developing an 64-bit processor also.  I don't think you are trolling but you need to get current on the A7.

sog, unfortunately you're one of the people on this forum who understands the least, but doesn't seem to know it.  

Can you please clearly articulate why you believe a 64 bit processor is preferable to a 32 bit processor?  Also be interested to hear your views on RISC vs. CISC processors. 

• Reply 44 of 81

[just griping so keep scrolling down] 

Why is it taking so long for Apple to fill 5s backorders? Did they stop production and go on Holiday? I would presume they never stopped manufacturing since the first one rolled off the line so why is there no inventory still? C'mon Apple, I'm needing my 5s!!!! 

[thanks for reading, I feel better now] 

• Reply 45 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

@ AI Moderators

The posts in this thread from brians and JamesMac are obvious troll-posts.

So why in the F*** ARE THEY ALLOWED TO KEEP ON POSTING and not been banned!!!!????

Or are you AI Mods doing this yourself to pad your page/ad views?

*** People... click on that red flag in the corner and report these idiots image ... or do you secretly enjoy every thread turning into a repeat of the DaHarder Days?!

JamesMac is a troll?  lol

C'mon. Get off it.

• Reply 46 of 81
    [just griping so keep scrolling down] 

Why is it taking so long for Apple to fill 5s backorders? Did they stop production and go on Holiday? I would presume they never stopped manufacturing since the first one rolled off the line so why is there no inventory still? C'mon Apple, I'm needing my 5s!!!! 

[thanks for reading, I feel better now] 

Demand > Supply, or more specifically Production.
  • Reply 47 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

Demand > Supply, or more specifically Production.

Hey, don't let your truth get in the way of my griping. Just be a friend and say 'I know, it's horrible' :P 

• Reply 48 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Let's see. Apple says it will be at the high end of the 36-37% range. Some analyst who doesn't have access to Apple's financials says it will be 40%.

Hmmm... who to believe? image

Just curious... isn't the 36-37% forecast from Apple for the 4th fiscal quarter to be announced on October 28th?

I think Um is talking about the holiday quarter and the 2nd fiscal quarter.

• Reply 49 of 81
    Hey, don't let your truth get in the way of my griping. Just be a friend and say 'I know, it's horrible' :P 

Very well… How can they do this to you? They just want to create artificial demand. Those assholes!

When I went to buy my iPhone 5S there was a women who had apparently come back at least a couple days in the morning trying to buy a 5S. She was livid because they still didn't have the carrier/capacity/color combination she wanted. She felt personally affronted as she felt she was promised by an Apple Store employee(s) that they would have it in stock the next time. She mentioned how she can't keep taking work off to buy an iPhone. She asked to speak to the store manager.
  • Reply 50 of 81
    Quote:

Very well… How can they do this to you? They just want to create artificial demand. Those assholes!

When I went to buy my iPhone 5S there was a women who had apparently come back at least a couple days in the morning trying to buy a 5S. She was livid because they still didn't have the carrier/capacity/color combination she wanted. She felt personally affronted as she felt she was promised by an Apple Store employee(s) that they would have it in stock the next time. She mentioned how she can't keep taking work off to buy an iPhone. She asked to speak to the store manager.

No, that is not what I said I wanted nor implied. I was not suggesting Apple is creating artificial demand, but ONLY that I am still waiting. Yes, it is only been 8 days, but I'm excited. Why do you have to turn this into something horrible? 

I feel no animosity towards Apple, I'm just excited to get my 5s. Sorry you had to get involved. 

• Reply 51 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

No, that is not what I said I wanted nor implied. I was not suggesting Apple is creating artificial demand, but ONLY that I am still waiting. Yes, it is only been 8 days, but I'm excited. Why do you have to turn this into something horrible? 

I feel no animosity towards Apple, I'm just excited to get my 5s. Sorry you had to get involved. 

?Tim read your post. He has a man on it.   :smokey:
  • Reply 52 of 81
    jamesmacjamesmac Posts: 115member
    Quote:

So you are telling me Apple spent tens of millions of dollars to develop the A7 just to be a marketing gimmick?  Really?

I will not do the research for you.  There are tons of articles that explain why the A7 is hugely important for Apple now and in the future. Your arrogance is really getting in the way of actually learning facts.  I dont give a shet if you were an executive or whatever else you claim.  Bottom line is you have not read up on the A7 and your posts show your total ignorance on the subject. study.

Not asking you to do any research.  Just want your opinion on why the 64 bit ISA is beneficial.  Love to hear from someone who is clearly so knowledgeable.  Great chance to impress everyone sog35...go for it!

• Reply 53 of 81

I guess I should have used an emoticon to indicate I was joking around. I've read your posts; I know you're not an unreasonable person.
  • Reply 54 of 81
    jamesmac wrote: »
    Not asking you to do any research.  Just want your opinion on why the 64 bit ISA is beneficial.  Love to hear from someone who is clearly so knowledgeable.  Great chance to impress everyone sog35...go for it!

Why don't you tell us again why AArch64 is not only not better than AArch32, but worse for performance and power management?

By your own admission Apple could have used the 32-bit version of iOS 7 on this new ARMv8_64 chip to eek out better performance and power management based on your claims that AArch64 offers no benefits over AArch32 (and will incur penalties) except for marketing.
  • Reply 55 of 81
    Quote:

I guess I should have used an emoticon to indicate I was joking around. I've read your posts; I know you're not an unreasonable person.

Sorry, I jumped too soon :( 

• Reply 56 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Now I can sleep tonight :) 

• Reply 57 of 81
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    sog35 wrote: »
    same reasons why the PC are now 64 bit also.
    Plus the added benefit of longer battery life.

read this:
    http://mikeash.com/pyblog/friday-qa-2013-09-27-arm64-and-you.html

i hate doing research for other people

Mike's (That) post is clear that there is little difference between a 32 bit and 64 bit CPU everything else being equal but there are potential gains in register and cache access balanced by increases in memory footprint by all apps. So not the slam dunk you think your link was.
  • Reply 58 of 81
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

There are massive benefits to 64 bit.  I'll leave you and the Qualcomm executive who said the A7 is a gimmick alone. 

Mike says

If we compare otherwise-identical 32-bit and 64-bit CPUs, there isn't a whole lot of difference, which is a big part of the confusion around the significance of Apple's move to 64-bit ARM. The move is important, but largely because of specifics of the ARM processor and Apple's use of it.

This is EXACTLY WHAT I SAID.

He then does to go to document how other changes in the architecture along with the registers (which I mentioned already) which do help performance but this is way beyond the 64 is better m'kay argument.

• Reply 59 of 81
    Quote:

Grow up man.  So now you are going to cry to mommy. WAH!

So are you telling me Apple spent hundreds of millions of dollars on the A7 for nothing?  Is that what you are telling me?  Explain yourself.  You said 32 bit and 64 bit are the same IF ALL OTHER THINGS ARE EQUAL.  But isn't that the trick?  ALL OTHER THINGS ARE NOT EQUAL with the A7.

Oh, boy.

Man, really, you gotta step back from the keyboard.

• Reply 60 of 81
    Quote:

The guy is saying apple spend hundreds of millions of dollars on the A7 as a marketing scam (aka no benefit from 32 bit).

No he is not.

... but I wasn't even talking about that.