Supply chain visit makes analyst 'confident' about larger iPhone in 2014

Comments

• Reply 21 of 96
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I'm young-ish (30) and want a larger phone. Eyes are perfect.

Its ok to be an outlier :D

• Reply 22 of 96
    No creo que sea necesario un iPhone más grande, actualmente tiene el tamaño perfecto para agarrarlo y usarlo con una mano además de qué cabe perfectamente en la bolsa del pantalón. He visto a otros usar sus teléfonos enormes y parece que están hablando con un ladrillo!
  • Reply 23 of 96
    The phablet fans are incapable of accepting that some people like the size and portability of the iPhone. The very idea is weird and wrong to them. They think everyone wants a bigger phone.
  • Reply 24 of 96
    pazuzu wrote: »
    How does that work in Safari?

Backward and forward swiping work in Safari. I did not think to test the capability until you asked the question.

The post you responded to rang a note of larger iPhone with me as well. Since using iOS 7 for a few months now, I have had the sensation that the OS had been designed for use with a larger phone. The sensation mostly hits when I use the Phone app to make a call.

Even though the analysts have gotten their predictions wrong for several years, the might finally be on the precipice of being right! I hope this is the case for one reason only though... The analysts can move on to something else!!

iPhones having 3.5-, 4.0-, 4.5- and 5.0-inch display sizes would provide Apple the opportunity to support a wide range of size and price ranges on the market. The funniest thing about the larger iPhones is Apple just might cross the 50% market point in the USA to make iOS the largest smartphone platform.

On another note, nobody is talking about Sharp's recent announcement of 32-inch 4K displays! Since the Mac Pro's release date is approaching and that beast of a computer can drive three 4K displays simultaneously, I am excited to see what Apple has coming up. My one year old 27-inch iMac migh be getting a sibling this Christmas. ????????
  • Reply 25 of 96
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SiliconTlaco View Post

No creo que sea necesario un iPhone más grande, actualmente tiene el tamaño perfecto para agarrarlo y usarlo con una mano además de qué cabe perfectamente en la bolsa del pantalón. He visto a otros usar sus teléfonos enormes y parece que están hablando con un ladrillo!

Is that a brick in your pocket or are you just happy to see me...  :D
  • Reply 26 of 96
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    The phablet fans are incapable of accepting that some people like the size and portability of the iPhone. The very idea is weird and wrong to them. They think everyone wants a bigger phone.

This is certainly a problem, you would think Apples strong sales would educate these people to the real market trends. The reality is not many if those large phones are actually being sold, so this isn't a pressing issue for Apple.

Having said that Apples desire to have one size iPhone/iPad screen is foolish in mind. Physical size is important and frankly I'd rather see Apple shrink the iPhone a bit, ideally keeping screen size. I'd like to see the current iPhones shorten by a half inch or so. I'm an old fart so the vision issue gets taken care of by an iPad for anything other than basic use. A bigger phone isn't a bad idea as it would lead to a well rounded lineup. However anybody thinking that a 5" cell phone will be a run away success is off their rocker.
  • Reply 27 of 96
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

I love huge screens.  I rarely see the main reason for my preferred screen size, and maybe Apple could market it as (one of) their decisions to go large:

I can fit a book page on my screen and read it comfortably.   Without having to pinch and zoom.

I never could do that with my smaller screened phones and it makes a big difference.

I stopped carrying my iPad with me on flights because the phone does the job.

Monster screens definitely are not for everyone so obviously Apple would have to make it a separate line from the smaller iPhones.  I'd love to see an Apple offering in the segment though.  Hopefully with an option for something other than the GOI interface.

• Reply 28 of 96
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This is certainly a problem, you would think Apples strong sales would educate these people to the real market trends. The reality is not many if those large phones are actually being sold, so this isn't a pressing issue for Apple.

Having said that Apples desire to have one size iPhone/iPad screen is foolish in mind. Physical size is important and frankly I'd rather see Apple shrink the iPhone a bit, ideally keeping screen size. I'd like to see the current iPhones shorten by a half inch or so. I'm an old fart so the vision issue gets taken care of by an iPad for anything other than basic use. A bigger phone isn't a bad idea as it would lead to a well rounded lineup. However anybody thinking that a 5" cell phone will be a run away success is off their rocker.

I think it is really hard to predict how a 4.5" iPhone would be received.

In the Chinese market it might be a huge success. Hell, it might even be a huge success in the U.S.

• Reply 29 of 96
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

An for those individual who want a large display whether you have a need to have big things in your hands, of you have some deficiency in your body requiring the larger display you have to realize you a small majority of the users out there.

So because we want a larger iPhone it means we have a small Penis?  We're compensating?  So someone who picks a 27" vs a 21.5" iMac also has a small penis?  Or someone who picks a 13" MBA over an 11" MBA, or a 15" rMBP over a 13" rMBP, or a 9.7" iPad over a 7.85" iPad?   They all, also have small penises and are compensating?

I hope they keep the 4" iPhone.  But here's a surprising element that you might not be able to wrap your head around.  Some people like 4" phones.  Some want bigger.  And some wish it would have stayed 3.5"- maybe even smaller.  So adding another size goes in line with every single one of their other product lines.

For example- the HTC One (ignore the fact it runs crap android)- has a fantastic front build.  I think better than the iPhone because of how thin the top and bottom bezel is.  It's, obviously, larger than the iPhone- a hair too big for my taste, but something in between would be great.  Even taking the existing size of the iPhone and getting similar-sized bezels would increase the screen size immensely.

Take your "small penis" talk out of here.  This forum is, at minimum, for slightly intelligent people.

• Reply 30 of 96
    Quote:

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

If they do maybe they can be as clever as Samsung in that regard. /s

Yeah right, he still used both hands, and when he tried to use one hand it didn't work because his thumb didn't have enough move.

• Reply 31 of 96
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

It's all about personal preference... not so much about age.

That was my point.  ;)

• Reply 32 of 96
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

i hope whatever apple does they do not get rid of the current one-handed phone. Want two? Fine. I can understand older folks needing larger screens as the eyes fail.

I would say there is zero danger of that.  Apple wouldn't alienate their core base like that.  *If* they choose to go larger I believe it would be a separate model and the real question is do they just go larger or go for an iPhab.  I for one would love to see an iPhab but realize my tastes aren't necessarily mainstream in that regard.

• Reply 33 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

That was my point.  ;)

Oh, I know... I just didn't indicate that as well as I should have.

I'm old... and, apparently, I have a low IQ.

• Reply 34 of 96
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

iPhones having 3.5-, 4.0-, 4.5- and 5.0-inch display sizes would provide Apple the opportunity to support a wide range of size and price ranges on the market. The funniest thing about the larger iPhones is Apple just might cross the 50% market point in the USA to make iOS the largest smartphone platform.

3.5" is dead, my friend. The 4" will continue to exist (thankfully). I believe Apple will release a complementary 4.5"-ish iPhone. No larger than 5" and only one in the 4+" range. That won't be for me but I do see a market for it.
  • Reply 35 of 96
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Backward and forward swiping work in Safari. I did not think to test the capability until you asked the question.
    That behavior actually bothers me a bit. I'm also finding that Safari doesn't handle user input as well as it did in iOS 6. Too many actions get interpreted the wrong way. For example attempts to scroll a view sometimes translate into link selections. Sometimes when no link is near by. I'm noticing a hyper sensitivity in other apps too, this all on my iPad. I suspect Apple has something screwed up at a low level with iOS 7 as the touch screen just isn't accurate at all anymore I even get spurious key presses from the keyboard.
    The post you responded to rang a note of larger iPhone with me as well. Since using iOS 7 for a few months now, I have had the sensation that the OS had been designed for use with a larger phone. The sensation mostly hits when I use the Phone app to make a call.
    Huh? What is so different about making a call?
    Even though the analysts have gotten their predictions wrong for several years, the might finally be on the precipice of being right! I hope this is the case for one reason only though... The analysts can move on to something else!!
    They could move on to digging ditches.
    Or a larger iPhone could flop. They trend to larger cell phones could cool off by the time Apple gets there. More than a few people have indicated that their larger device was a mistake and have expressed the intentions to buy smaller the next time around.
    On another note, nobody is talking about Sharp's recent announcement of 32-inch 4K displays! Since the Mac Pro's release date is approaching and that beast of a computer can drive three 4K displays simultaneously, I am excited to see what Apple has coming up. My one year old 27-inch iMac migh be getting a sibling this Christmas. ????????

Probably because nobody can afford such. It is pretty much why I don't talk about the next Rolls Royce. Apple could very well lead the way in lowering the costs of these panels though. Apple being the only vendor that has the volume potential to get the low prices.
  • Reply 36 of 96

Does anyone who critiques larger screen iPhone ever used phablets?

I'm not hide — i'm an Apple fan, but once i've tryed Samsung Note for an hour, i realized my next iPhone will have at least 5 inch screen.

• Reply 37 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

3.5" is dead, my friend. The 4" will continue to exist (thankfully). I believe Apple will release a complementary 4.5"-ish iPhone. No larger than 5" and only one in the 4+" range. That won't be for me but I do see a market for it.

3.5" is dead?

Isn't Apple still selling the 4s.

• Reply 38 of 96
    Originally Posted by Sergey View Post

im an Apple fan, but

Just GIVE UP.

• Reply 39 of 96
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    3.5" is dead?

Isn't Apple still selling the 4s.

I meant that when the 4S is eol there won't be another 3.5" iPhone.
  • Reply 40 of 96
    Does anyone who critiques larger screen iPhone ever used phablets?
    I'm not hide %u2014 i'm an Apple fan, but once i've tryed Samsung Note for an hour, i realized my next iPhone will have at least 5 inch screen.