In five years, Microsoft's share of personal computing fell from 90 to 33%

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

To YOU they are a different market.  To many folks I know, their iPads are the only computer they have.

Without some data on what percentage of people think those ways, it's hard to know how much the PC market has been eroded.

• Reply 22 of 52
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

Looks like the biggest reason for Microsoft's plunge is that the definition of a Personal Computer has changed.

• Reply 23 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Garbage. My phone and my tablet aren't PC's, sorry kids. Until they make a tablet that is comfortable to crack out a 30 page research paper on, while batch converting video files and playing Netflix in a small window in the corner, it is most certainly NOT a PC.

This is like trying to put my Specialized road bike into the same category as my F-150. Yes, both are forms of transportation, but they aren't anywhere in the same league.

You keep thinking that Ballmer! 

• Reply 24 of 52
    This settles the question of OSX or iOS: Were those charts and the article created and wrote with an iOS tablet or a OSX? Which would you use? Pretty simple in my opinion. OSX is used for business/productivity and tablets are used for at home browsing and checking e-mails and using Apps. Quit bickering about mcdonalds and dining and apples and oranges.
  • Reply 25 of 52

• Reply 26 of 52
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

Sorry I don't consider my iphone or ipad the same as my desktop. They are really a different market.

The chart is interesting though, the iPad did have a significant effect of PC sales, but look at what release of Win8 in the 3rd qtr of 2012 did.

I know what you are talking about, but technically speaking a tablet and even a smartphone are TECHNICALLY computers.  They have all of the attributes of a computer, they are just in different form factors.  But if you can use a tablet or smartphone to do things that are also done on a desktop or laptop computer, then they qualify as a computing device.

If someone walked into a company with an iPad back in 1981 when the IBM PC first started, people would FREAK OUT.  An iPhone or IPad or any modern day tablet/smartphone was FAR more powerful than a 1981 IBM PC, so they should be considered a computer and part of the market share calculation for computing devices, and then split off into sub categories of computing devices.

• Reply 27 of 52
    togantogan Posts: 16member
    Doesn't really matter as to what each device can do as the point is that Microsofts personal computing fell from 90% to 33%. Personal computing has changed a lot in 5 years and figures clearly show Microsoft (and others)
    didn't match or forge trends. Clearly desktop
    can do more than a hand held device but both can be umbrellaed under personal computing. Edit: Do Xbox and Ps3 also count as personal computing?
  • Reply 28 of 52
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

OMG!  OMG!  Microsoft is in complete Freefall!  From 90% to 30%!!!!!

*Looks at actual data*

Oh.  Microsoft PC shipments from 2008 to 2013 are fairly flat.

Yes, Microsoft missed out on the tablet boom in a big way.

From the headlines I thought there was some news here.

• Reply 29 of 52
    Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

to many people Mcdonalds is a meal - to most it is just garbage... if you want to hit the lowest common denominator for your definition of things go for it.

Originally Posted by Fake Steve Jobs

Sometimes I feel like a great chef who has devoted his entire life to monastic study of the art of cooking and gathered the finest ingredients and built the most advanced kitchen and prepared the most exquisite meals–perfect, so delicious, so extraordinary–more astounding than any meal ever created, yet each day I stand in my window and watch 97% percent of the world walk past my restaurant into the McDonald’s across the street.

…an iPad running iOS is not good enough to be an Apple computer. 

Despite being a computer made by Apple.

How pathetic can you get, really?

• Reply 30 of 52
    Something is amiss. According to the IDC 82 million PC's were shipped in the last quarter (This number excludes tablets and phones.). If that is true, only 40 million or so tablets and smartphones were sold in the same quarter. I think not.

No argument PC's, as a percentage of total computing devices, will continue to drop over time - mainly because more tablets and smartphones will be sold. Nevertheless, this article is fraught with misinformation. Statistics don't lie but liars uses statistics.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    cash907 wrote: »

This is like trying to put my Specialized road bike into the same category as my F-150. Yes, both are forms of transportation, but they aren't anywhere in the same league.

Were you listening when Steve Jobs said, "PC are trucks and there will always be a need for trucks." His point being that you don't always need a truck to do what you want to do. He was fore-telling that people would be moving to smaller computer devices to do what they need to get done, and that's what has happened. Most jobs don't require trucks.

• Reply 32 of 52

2008, the year Bill Gates retired and Steve Balmer took over. Balmer is leaving a great legacy over at MS.

• Reply 33 of 52
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Looks like the biggest reason for Microsoft's plunge is that the definition of a Personal Computer has changed.

On the plus side, from the data and the new definition, the Personal Computer business is actually booming.  It more than doubled from 2009 - 2013!!!

From the data cited I'm not even sure where the 33% comes from.  If he's using his own charts for data the last set in 2013 that shows data for tablets and windows shows Windows devices @ 70,000,000 and the total market @ 110,000,000 devices, which would be more like 64%, but who knows.

• Reply 34 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

Sorry I don't consider my iphone or ipad the same as my desktop. They are really a different market.

The chart is interesting though, the iPad did have a significant effect of PC sales, but look at what release of Win8 in the 3rd qtr of 2012 did.

This. The Ipad is not a desktop.

• Reply 35 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

If someone walked into a company with an iPad back in 1981 when the IBM PC first started, people would FREAK OUT.  An iPhone or IPad or any modern day tablet/smartphone was FAR more powerful than a 1981 IBM PC, so they should be considered a computer and part of the market share calculation for computing devices, and then split off into sub categories of computing devices.

You could tell them anything and they would believe you: traveler from the future? A piece of the crashed saucer wreckage? Here's my proof: look at this!

• Reply 36 of 52
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You could tell them anything and they would believe you: traveler from the future? A piece of the crashed saucer wreckage? Here's my proof: look at this!

“Oh, the DeLorean? Everyone drives ‘em, man. And don’t get me started on wearing ONLY crotchless chaps…”

• Reply 37 of 52
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    cash907 wrote: »
    Garbage. My phone and my tablet aren't PC's, sorry kids. Until they make a tablet that is comfortable to crack out a 30 page research paper on, while batch converting video files and playing Netflix in a small window in the corner, it is most certainly NOT a PC.

Netbook's can't really do any of those things one at a time. An iPad would work as well as netbook for your 30 page paper as both would require an external keyboard. So obviously netbooks aren't computers either.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    agramonte wrote: »
    to many people Mcdonalds is a meal - to most it is just garbage... if you want to hit the lowest common denominator for your definition of things go for it. Apple makes a Computer, it is called a MAC - it runs OSX... an iPad running iOS is not good enough to be an Apple computer.

I was thinking the same. If my grandfather prefers to grab a pen and paper and write mail, instead of using email, that still does not make pen and paper a PC.

Some common ground PC and tablet/smartphone share does not, by default, put them in the same category.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    wovel wrote: »
    Netbook's can't really do any of those things one at a time. An iPad would work as well as netbook for your 30 page paper as both would require an external keyboard. So obviously netbooks aren't computers either.

Technically, netbooks could do that. Incredibly slow, but possible.
  • Reply 40 of 52
    drblank wrote: »
    I know what you are talking about, but technically speaking a tablet and even a smartphone are TECHNICALLY computers.  They have all of the attributes of a computer, they are just in different form factors.  But if you can use a tablet or smartphone to do things that are also done on a desktop or laptop computer, then they qualify as a computing device.

They are computers, but not what is considered under term "PC".

My G-Shock watch has stopwatch, timer, multiple alarms and time zones... some of the features you can find on iPhone. SOME of the features. And it certanly is computing device... but that does not put it in the same league as smartphone.

Additionally... I think you must consider things relative to NOW. Because if you walked into Acropolis around 1000BC with iPad in your hand, you would probably be considered a God. Or at least demi-God. Some 2500 years later in west Europe, you would be burned on stake for witchcraft. Should we make opinion on iPad based on that?