Broadcasters petition Supreme Court to hear case over iPad TV streamer Aereo

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    irun262irun262 Posts: 121member
    kibitzer wrote: »
    For those who don't understand how the Aereo antennas work or who haven't bothered to visit their website and see what they have to say - yes - each account has its own unique antenna, about the size of a dime. So how do they claim you'll get HD reception? Simple. They install your receiving antenna in a location that's very close to the broadcast antennas! With the amount of radiated power at that distance, you probably could pick up a strong HD signal with a paper clip.

The difference is that your viewing device is connected to that antenna you're using with what one could call the EQUIVALENT of a very loooong coax cable. Only it's not a cable. The broadcast is streaming from your antenna to your device over the Internet, whether through wifi or via a wireless data plan.

Currently it's not the greatest in terms of variety. In the markets that Aereo currently operates, subscribers are able to tune in a couple dozen channels, including the local stations for the major broadcast networks, a bunch of lesser entertainment freebies, weather, home shopping, some second language stations and Bloomberg Business.

Wireless can be spotty, depending on your carrier's bandwidth and local signal anomalies. Moreover, if you use wireless streaming a lot, you'll be consuming a helluva lot of data from AT&T or Verizon or whomever you have an account. You're next monthly bill could come as a big surprise. But for those who absolutely have to watch Days of Our Lives on their smartphone or tablet while gobbling down that lunchtime BMT at the local Subway, Aereo may be the answer.

But most broadcast antennas are at different locations, not that close each other (at least where I live). Do they have separate 'dime sized' antennas at each location? Surely a dime sized antenna at one location couldn't pick up all stations that well.

Do they have separate digitizers and TV tuners/decoder for each user (for each subscriber / each 'dime size' antennas)? If they are really doing everything they need to do to keep it legal, it is pretty amazing.

And, yes, I went to their web-site. I didn't find sufficient technical evidence to prove to myself that they are doing everything necessary to stay away from any form of public broadcasting.

And again, if they are, what an amazing operation they have!
  • Reply 62 of 71
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    jragosta wrote: »
    But there's a difference between you capturing something for your own use and someone capturing it for rebroadcast.

I'm actually surprised that the broadcasters lost - there must be some loophole that Aereo uses. Ordinarily, you can not rebroadcast shows without violating the copyright. I'll have to read the details of the previous decisions to see why Aereo was able to get away with it.

ETA:
    I reviewed the complaint and it's just what I expected. The law is quite clear that public rebroadcast of copyrighted work is not allowed. Aereo is claiming that they're not publicly rebroadcasting the copyrighted work, but are rather sending private broadcasts to tens of thousands of users. That claim appears to be patently ridiculous and it's not at all clear why the lower courts accepted it.

I'd say there's a very good chance the Supreme Court will reverse the lower courts' decisions. The fundamental question is "is Aereo's business model a public rebroadcast or a private one?" If the court says that it's public, the broadcasters will win.
    It makes perfect sense. Read the second circuit opinion. The rationale is that an individual has the right to put out an antenna and record the stream and play it back later. The person should be able to rent the antenna and recorder. The 1970s legislation on broadcasting specifically addressed the arbitrary distinction between one person doing it themselves and a company doing it. If the rebroadcast is to ones self, it doesn't infringe. That is why Aereo has thousands of antennas and everyone has to store their own copy on the system.
  • Reply 63 of 71
    irun262 wrote: »
    But most broadcast antennas are at different locations, not that close each other (at least where I live). Do they have separate 'dime sized' antennas at each location? Surely a dime sized antenna at one location couldn't pick up all stations that well.

Do they have separate digitizers and TV tuners/decoder for each user (for each subscriber / each 'dime size' antennas)? If they are really doing everything they need to do to keep it legal, it is pretty amazing.

And, yes, I went to their web-site. I didn't find sufficient technical evidence to prove to myself that they are doing everything necessary to stay away from any form of public broadcasting.

And again, if they are, what an amazing operation they have!
    Yes they have separate antennas. I think they are smaller than a dime. If I remember correctly they achieved that small size by tuning the antenna to a specific frequency. They had a bunch of patent applications publish in 2012. You can read all about how they do it. The second circuit opinion explains it all.
  • Reply 64 of 71
    Here is the most succinct way to explain this:
    The Aereo system allows an individual to record their own copy of a tv show using a rented antenna and hard drive. When you play the TV show it is your recording and you only play it to yourself, therefore it is not a "public" broadcast.
    The copyright laws purposely didn't cover transmissions from your own antenna to yourself or else everyone watching TV from a house antenna would be infringing.
    This isn't just a technicality. It was specifically addressed, understood, and permitted by the broadcast laws.
    The technicality arises when it becomes economical to hire out your antenna.
  • Reply 65 of 71
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jragosta wrote: »
    If they were blending the signal from a lot if different antennas so that different subscribers were all using the same signal, that would probably be a 'public rebroadcast'. They claim not to be doing that, though.

I ordered and used the service over the weekend and they do not blend the signal. They transmit only one channel at a time, so while you can have 5 linked devices you can only use one at a time.
  • Reply 66 of 71
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    Saw an article a fews years ago about why cable prices doubled in just 10 years. No one attributed it to Clinton basically deregulating cable TV in 1996 (sighting competition that really was't there).
  • Reply 67 of 71
    ash471 wrote: »
    Yes they have separate antennas. I think they are smaller than a dime. If I remember correctly they achieved that small size by tuning the antenna to a specific frequency. They had a bunch of patent applications publish in 2012. You can read all about how they do it. The second circuit opinion explains it all.

But individual antennas are not that expensive (especially if they are 'dime sized').

Does each antenna connect to its own digitizer / TV tuner? To keep it private, it would seem that each subscriber would need to rent these other necessary components.
  • Reply 68 of 71
    irun262 wrote: »
    But individual antennas are not that expensive (especially if they are 'dime sized').

Does each antenna connect to its own digitizer / TV tuner? To keep it private, it would seem that each subscriber would need to rent these other necessary components.

Each antenna is connected to a tuner/DVR which is why one can pause, rewind, and record, but it's all limited to one channel at a time. If you're watching a show nobody else can view another on a different device.
  • Reply 69 of 71
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I ordered and used the service over the weekend and they do not blend the signal. They transmit only one channel at a time, so while you can have 5 linked devices you can only use one at a time.

Unless you subscribe to the higher plan at $12, right? Then you have 2 tuners.
  • Reply 70 of 71
    allenbf wrote: »
    Unless you subscribe to the higher plan at $12, right? Then you have 2 tuners.

It just says that you can record 2 shows at once nothing about viewing on 2 different devices.
  • Reply 71 of 71
    satchsatch Posts: 19member

I also beg to differ, I ordered cable the other day on new apt. Had it turned off. Even my fav shows lie Discovery, History etc have a;l gne reality or some ridiculous version of it.

if you aren't into news or sports, the only thing on is SHowtime or HBO if you are an adult, (excluding movies of course). That is why they are winning all the Emmy awards, the only place for adult TV not focused group and sanitized for people some call "middle America" not trying to generalize of course.

PS: I like your SolipsismX quote.