Some iPhone 5s owners reporting 'Blue Screen of Death' with iWork apps

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Same here - so far, iOS 7 has been a total train wreck to most people - and you can't even roll back to 6 if you wanted to.

Elaborate more on iOS7 being a "total train wreck to most people" please.  What is "most people"??  Just the one or two people you know, or some published grand mass of people?

In my immediate circle, I know probably 70 people that upgraded to iOS7 on the iP4x and iP5's and not one single problem.  What does that say?  As far as I can perceive, iOS7 has been a great success.  Some things can be ironed-out as I'm sure they will, but for you to make a blanket-statement like that is ignorant at best.

• Reply 42 of 78
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    They had to pick blue? This is going to be a disaster. It was just on the news.
  • Reply 43 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I know right? They talk about iOS 7 being tightly integrated with the hardware? I would have expected the death screen color to match the iPhone case. Anything less is un-Apple-like.

• Reply 44 of 78
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

There is a difference between a blue screen, and a blue screen of death. OS X has had a blue screen for years. You sometimes see it when first rebooting after an OS update, but usually only briefly. This iOS blue screen appears to be a minor crash of some sort but it recovers quickly, unlike the infamous BSOD on Windows which in many instances is unrecoverable without reinstalling the OS. Big difference. This issue on iOS is far less problematic than the Windows variant but being eagerly published by the sensationalist press as yet another misstep by Apple.

• Reply 45 of 78

welcome to iOS Vista... Steve Jobs gave the job to Forstall - now we know why he never let Ive and company near it. 

• Reply 46 of 78
    Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

welcome to iOS Vista... Steve Jobs gave the job to Forstall - now we know why he never let Ive and company near it. 

If you get anywhere near a coherent thought, hop on.

• Reply 47 of 78
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eideard View Post

So, no one ever asks the inevitable first couple of questions, e.g., is your iOS device jail-broken, have any cheapo unapproved apps on board?

Uh, this happens on iPhone 5s' running iOS7. iOS7 hasn't even been jailbroken yet -- let alone for the iPhone 5s, so that should answer your question.

• Reply 48 of 78
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    It's not fair, my one doesn't do it no matter how hard I try.
  • Reply 49 of 78
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    agramonte wrote: »

You're missing the important point of iOS7 - the screen colors match the plastic on the 5c.
  • Reply 50 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

And Tim Cook gave it to Federighi. Ive just works in the design department. Kernel panics are Federighi's department.

• Reply 51 of 78

Why didn't all this come up in devs Beta??

• Reply 52 of 78
    sflocal wrote: »

Elaborate more on iOS7 being a "total train wreck to most people" please.  What is "most people"??  Just the one or two people you know, or some published grand mass of people?

In my immediate circle, I know probably 70 people that upgraded to iOS7 on the iP4x and iP5's and not one single problem.  What does that say?  As far as I can perceive, iOS7 has been a great success.  Some things can be ironed-out as I'm sure they will, but for you to make a blanket-statement like that is ignorant at best.

I know at least 10 people who have upgraded as well, and pretty much none of them feel genuinely happy with 7 one way or another...the main difference here is that we are no longer talking about bugs; it's about an overall dissatisfaction with the OS experience as a whole.

Thin fonts, too bright, terrible calendar app, flawed iPad version, lower battery life, slowness, UI lags, crashes all over the place, bad UI color choices etc. Never before have we seen such a flawed paradigm dismantlement at Apple - not even with OS X, which was a much more ambitious change for all, yet perfectly right in the medium term.

And to top the issues above:

- you HAVE to use the horrid iTunes 11;
    - absolutely no possibility to roll back to 6.

NONE of the above are objectively or technically justified.
  • Reply 53 of 78
    Quote:

I know at least 10 people who have upgraded as well, and pretty much none of them feel genuinely happy with 7 one way or another...the main difference here is that we are no longer talking about bugs; it's about an overall dissatisfaction with the OS experience as a whole.

Thin fonts, too bright, terrible calendar app, flawed iPad version, lower battery life, slowness, UI lags, crashes all over the place, bad UI color choices etc. Never before have we seen such a flawed paradigm dismantlement at Apple - not even with OS X, which was a much more ambitious change for all, yet perfectly right in the medium term.

And to top the issues above:

thats 9 problems without the etc.

Which means each and every person you know who upgraded to iOS 7 has a problem.

I call BS on that.

I call BS on crashes all over the place too.

well you also put slowness and UI lags as 2 different points but it can be solved by reseting the phone.

The calendar app is the same with different colors lmfao.

You have a bold fonts option.

scratch that.

The entire comment is BS

• Reply 54 of 78

I know at least 10 people who have upgraded as well, and pretty much none of them feel genuinely happy with 7 one way or another...

I know even more. And all of them feel happy with it. Your anecdotes are either worthless or as valid as everyone else’s.

Get over it.

Which wasn’t possible for any other OS anyway, so quit whining.

Thanks for that; is this your objective and technical assessment? You need to try again.

• Reply 55 of 78
    oh boy ... Where do I start ?? Messed up hardware sensors. Hellacious battery drain. Fingerprint scanner hacked in a day. Laggy keyboard. iMessage bug. Twice the number of app crashes. The airport hack. The lockscreen hack. And now a bluescreen of death. At what point can I start calling the people that bought this thing ******* ?
  • Reply 56 of 78
    Originally Posted by wassbergs 

At what point can I start calling the people that bought this thing ******* ?

Never. Shut up and go away.

• Reply 57 of 78
    Quote:

The UI crashes will certainly make DELTA's purchase of SURFACE tablets look smart.   Enterprise expectations of software and hardware is higher.  I guess we should take back all the jokes about the Surface crashing on Delta Pilots.

• Reply 58 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bananaman View Post

Why didn't all this come up in devs Beta??

Because there was no 64 bit Dev beta of the OS or 64 bit hardware to run it on. And no 64 bit beta iWork apps either.

This is at most a temporary inconvenience which will be sorted out by next update.

• Reply 59 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Because there was no 64 bit Dev beta of the OS or 64 bit hardware to run it on. And no 64 bit beta iWork apps either.

This is a valid excuse for third party APPS, but not APPLE when it controls the hardware iOS and the iWork apps.   They should have internally  tested the hell out of this.  Sure it will be fixed soon but they can't blame Forestal again.     Maybe they should not have done both a big hardware and software upgrade at the same time.

• Reply 60 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by K2kW View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

This is a valid excuse for third party APPS, but not APPLE when it controls the hardware iOS and the iWork apps.   They should have internally  tested the hell out of this.  Sure it will be fixed soon but they can't blame Forestal again.     Maybe they should not have done both a big hardware and software upgrade at the same time.

I was simply replying to a poster who asked why the devs did not discover the problem. Situations like this are the nature of the industry. Because the 64 bit hardware and software require each other to be compatible, they can't release one without the other. We still don't know what the actual cause of the issue is so it is impossible to speculate about what Apple did or should have done.