Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

oi! not the chavs!

Dooooooooooooomed!

http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/22/iphone-5cheap/

• Reply 22 of 81
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Give her a chance !

• Reply 23 of 81
    Apple finally has a chic on their exec team..
  • Reply 24 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Giorgio View Post

Hey Secular Investor

I don't know which part of the world you live in, but here in the UK it is well known that Dixons offered shoddy customer service by poorly trained stuff. Reality is totally different to what they "aimed for" in theory (I do not think they even aimed for customer satisfaction, just profits). Dixons was definitely way downmarket than Apple and when Browett was hired, it did not make any sense to me. That was definitely Cook's mistake.

Let's hope Angela does better.

(The only reason I use past tense in my comment about Dixons is because I do not visit those stores any more - pointless...)

Yes, I agree that Dixons and PC World etc are down market discounters..

But I did find this section on their website which made a big thing about all the efforts the company were making training staff to improve customer service and satisfaction, with tables showing how customer satisfaction improved.

It was probably this which got him the job at Apple. But then he forgot all that while he concentrated on cutting staffing costs, etc. which totally demoralised the Apple retail staff from top to bottom.

There are great opportunities to expand Apple's stores. I  would like top see a huge, rapid increase in retail outlets around the world, but without sacrificing  Apple's really high customer satisfaction ratings. 

BTW Angela Ahrendts worked with Apple in several of her Burberry fashion multi media shows, which were big hits with customers and the media.

• Reply 25 of 81
    This is great news. I can't wait to see more direction in the retail space. Also, TC can get back to making sure the ship is sailing smoothly instead of carrying the weight of the retail role on his shoulders.
  • Reply 26 of 81
    dnd0ps wrote: »
    First female SVP! That might silence all the feminists out there

Stop being such a jerk. I'll bet she has more managerial talent in her left pinkie nail than you do in your whole (snarky) self.

Moreover, Apple has been sticking out in the Valley as a rather....shall we say....homogenous-looking corporate throwback. Just look at the diversity in other well known companies and you'll see what I mean.
  • Reply 27 of 81
    Great news for Apple.

Sounds like a fabulous talent and a great hire, and clearly fits the bill as far as the needed cachet goes.
  • Reply 28 of 81
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Burberry certainly have managed to turn a staid brand into a cool brand without losing their original clients. So it's posh country, urban hipsters and rap gangsters. That's impressive.

She can certainly go downmarket - to mid market - without harming a loyal base.
  • Reply 29 of 81
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
  • Reply 30 of 81

Well this seems a much more natural fit than the box-shifter from Dixons (anyone from the UK could have, and many did, say that he would not work out).

Somebody who grasps iconography and style, rather than a volume obsessive.

• Reply 31 of 81
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    otterfish wrote: »

Thanks for that link:
    Burberry was able to save itself by hiring a new CEO, Angela Ahrendts, who led an effort to buy back 23 of its licenses and fight counterfeiters. Ahrendts also scaled back its signature plaid so it appeared on just 5% of Burberry clothing instead of 20%. It signed on new faces for the brand like Emma Watson, and sued people who used its trademark illegally. Burberry is even working with Apple and the 5s to capture photos of its new fashion line.

Soon, Burberry regained its image as a sought-after upscale brand, and sales of its pricier items soared, and Burberry revenue has more than doubled to ?1.9 billion. However, the chav image still haunts Burberry to this day.

She really looks to be a valuable asset to the team. Props to Apples negotiating skills.
  • Reply 32 of 81
    This TEDx talk will give an idea of what to expect. Is that an iPad mini I see? There's a lot of Tim Cook's presentation style here, too, I think.
    http://youtu.be/mZNlN31hS78

I agree. It was a good presentation. It was as if she was ”auditioning" for Apple.
  • Reply 33 of 81
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member

I will beat my worn out drum again.  Apple will be melding high tech and high fashion as we've never seen before because that place, nobody has the brand cachet to follow, mimic, imitate or duplicate them.  Not Samsung, not Google, not Microsoft, not no one.

• Reply 34 of 81
    For a good laugh, check out the CNBC report on this story.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101111899

In the video, the red hair pundit states, basically, that:

- Apple is leaving China
    - Moving manufacturing to the USA (Texas) with "100% automation"
    - This will result in significant restructuring of how Apple operates

I wonder if anyone told Tim Cook he is moving all of Apple manufacturing to Texas?

Too funny.

Edit to correct spelling. Sorry!
  • Reply 35 of 81
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    tundraboy wrote: »
    I will beat my worn out drum again.  Apple will be melding high tech and high fashion as we've never seen before because that place, nobody has the brand cachet to follow, mimic, imitate or duplicate them.  Not Samsung, not Google, not Microsoft, not no one.

I agree, none of those 3 companies have taste. Like Steve said, "I mean that in a big way".

I don't have to have the same taste, I don't have to agree to their taste, but they simply have no taste. At all. Which I think is sad, actually.
  • Reply 36 of 81
    Ron Johnson had a proven record and look what happened to him at JC Penny.
  • Reply 37 of 81
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    President of Dona Kiran international at 29? She's a go-getter. What an impressive resume that was promoted to different roles based on her performance. Unlike your typical board member that sucks and still lands another CEO job the next day or at least ends up on a board.
  • Reply 38 of 81
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    maccherry wrote: »
    Ron Johnson had a proven record and look what happened to him at JC Penny.

Since when Ron Johnson was ever a CEO?
  • Reply 39 of 81
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    After he was fired from JCP I predicted Ron Johnson would make a grand return to Apple. FAIL
  • Reply 40 of 81
    dnd0ps wrote: »
    First female SVP! That might silence all the feminists out there
    You've never met a feminist, have you?