Nike announces new iPhone-compatible Fuelband SE fitness tracker

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Nike has announced a new version of its wrist-worn iPhone-compatible fitness tracker, the Fuelband SE, adding new color options to its popular device.

image via The Verge

The announcement came Tuesday morning at a Nike+ Fuelband event in New York City. The new device comes in an array of colors, adding visual flavor to Nike's fitness tracker. Users will be able to get the Fuelband SE with highlight options of yellow, pink, and red. Reportedly, Nike's goal with the new generation of Fuelband is to "get users to move even more throughout the day."

The new Nike+ FuelBand SE features Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity, allowing it to connect to the Nike+ FuelBand App without using too much power. It is also more water-resistant than its predecessor, and features a redesigned circuit board allowing for greater flexibility. Nike also improved the LEDs on the device, making them brighter and easier to see. Nike has also built in the ability for the FuelBand SE to monitor yoga activity and sleeping habits.

The updated FuelBand also shows off a number of new motivational and organizational features. These include "3.2.1. GO! Sessions," allowing users to track specific physical activities, motivational tools like "Win the Hour," and a new "Fuel Rate" feature that tracks the rate at which a user is earning NikeFuel.

The new Nike+ FuelBand SE will be available beginning November 6 in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom, as well as France, Germany, and Japan. It will launch in Black and the Sport Pack colors of Volt, Pink Foil, and Total Crimson. The device will sell for $149.

Nike introduced the original Fuelband in January of 2012, and the device has not seen a hardware upgrade since. Previous speculation on Tuesday's event had already pegged the more responsive LEDs and Bluetooth low-energy connectivity.

The territory Nike has staked out on the wrist is growing increasingly crowded, as tech companies large and small look to grow out the wearable computing segment. Last week saw the introduction of the Fitbit Force, a wristband that combines activity and sleep tracking with wrist-borne notifications over Bluetooth.

Also, Nike may have to compete with a possible iWatch from its partner Apple. That possibility apparently does not trouble Nike, as CEO Mark Parker recently said that the company is well aware of Nike's limitations and ready to partner with others where it makes more sense.

"It's really important to understand what we do well... what we bring to the party, so to speak, and actually amplify that, " Parker said, "and not to expect [us] to really go in and compete with the latest, greatest development of sensor technology."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Nice idea, but why does it have to be a wristband? I'd much rather wear a device that is not visible to everyone around me. Don't like looking like a dork.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    It's seeming less and less likely to me that Apple will make a watch like product. Look at what Nike has already done. Now consider Tim Cook is on the Nike board. Now consider the rumors that the Iwatch trademark may refer to a television product. Now consider what Apple could bring to the watch table that other people are not already doing, or able to do.

I'm thinking the fuel band will be – or is already – the Apple watch. The only thing it's missing is an iPhone SDK that allows third-party hardware to sync to and listen to the iPhone. You could even have some form of airplay that would allow a future fuel band to have a display that reads from the phone.

If Apple were making a fuelband-like product, there's no way Tim Cook could stay on the Nike board. I really think it's not going to happen.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    sflagel wrote: »
    Nice idea, but why does it have to be a wristband? I'd much rather wear a device that is not visible to everyone around me. Don't like looking like a dork.

Get the 5s which has the M7 co-processor. Nike is creating software for it. "Nike+ Move"

• Reply 4 of 11
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    sflagel wrote: »

I prefer to purchase for utility and enjoyment, and not because of how others might perceive me. This is why I have purchased a FitBit Force. This tech is finally at a point that I think it can be helpful.

The wrist is frankly a great place for a small externally worn device. it's out of the way and yet at the same time easily accessible by the opposing hand and easy to see. This is why watches have used this part of the body for so long. If you have a better idea I'll gladly support your KickStarter project. I'd like to see internal computing devices that our phones can securely read and get many more vitals that otherwise offered by an external device. May I suggest not going for a suppository form.
  • Reply 5 of 11

So where exactly would you plan to wear the device so it can't be seen if it is not on your wrist?

Is there some place else you would strap it on or plug it in?

• Reply 6 of 11

Actually, it's not dorky / geeky at all! :)

I have all 3 colors and wear them depending on my mood / dress and etc ;)

• Reply 7 of 11
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

Actually, it's not dorky / geeky at all! :)

I have all 3 colors and wear them depending on my mood / dress and etc ;)

Dorky/geeky they're not.  I know a few fashion forward girls who love bracelets like these and also have them in multiples to go with different outfits.

• Reply 8 of 11
    I wish they found away to have it monitor your heartbeat.

Wouldn't that be the ultimate in fitness tracking?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    I believe the nike Fuelband will more or less be incorporated into the Apple IWatch due to the nike-apple alliance. The disney my magic plus band will also be incorporated into the IWatch. The disney plus band is pretty freaking sweet. It unlocks your hotel room doors, let's characters know your kids names so the disney Proncesses and Mickey Mouse can call your kids by Thier names. You can order ahead at disney restaurants with your order and all you have to do is walk in and sit down and they bring the food out to you. Cool stuff
    I see the Disney-Apple and Nike-Apple alliances pulling off a hell of a gadget in the future
  • Reply 10 of 11
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    I wish they found away to have it monitor your heartbeat.

Wouldn't that be the ultimate in fitness tracking?

I wouldn't say ultimate but definitely a major step in the right direction.

Part of the issue is it would need to not be loose like these other options. i wouldn't mind a one-a-day flesh toned patch to be placed on the inside of the wrist or, even better, an implanted nodule on the underside of the wrist to transmit this data to the device or directly to the iPhone.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by robertsm View Post

I believe the nike Fuelband will more or less be incorporated into the Apple IWatch due to the nike-apple alliance. The disney my magic plus band will also be incorporated into the IWatch. The disney plus band is pretty freaking sweet. It unlocks your hotel room doors, let's characters know your kids names so the disney Proncesses and Mickey Mouse can call your kids by Thier names. You can order ahead at disney restaurants with your order and all you have to do is walk in and sit down and they bring the food out to you. Cool stuff

I see the Disney-Apple and Nike-Apple alliances pulling off a hell of a gadget in the future

Disney's magic bands use RFID/NFC so the chances of them being incorporated into an Apple product are pretty slim at this time.