Apple issues MacBook Air firmware update to test for SSD failures, initiates recall for affected dri

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday released an update for its MacBook Air lineup meant to test the thin-and-light laptop's solid-state drive for a data loss issue and, if no fault is found, install a fresh firmware version.

MBA Firmware

Apple's MacBook Air Flash Storage Firmware Update 1.1 specifically targets mid-2012 models, a "small percentage" of which was found to have flash drives containing an unspecified issue that erases data. As noted below, if a problem is discovered and the drive cannot be update, Apple will replace the affected SSD at no cost.

From the release notes:
Apple has discovered that a small percentage of flash storage drives in these MacBook Air models have an issue that may result in data loss. This update tests your drive and, in the majority of cases, installs new firmware to resolve the issue. If your drive cannot be updated, Apple will replace it, free of charge.
It is unknown how widespread the issue may be, though a quick search of Apple's Support Communities forum reveals multiple threads pertaining to SSD failures and data loss.

Accordingly, the company announced a recall on certain 64- and 128-gigabyte flash storage drives used in MacBook Air systems sold between June 2012 and June 2013. Running the new firmware update will determine if a user's system needs a replacement.

The latest Flash Storage Firmware Update 1.1 can be downloaded via Apple's support downloads webpage or Software Update and is recommended for all mid-2012 MacBook Air models.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    This is what I like about Apple. They really stand behind their products.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Each time there's a MacBook Air article like this I click on the headline hoping to read that Apple have done something about the 2013 MBA wifi disconnect and performance problem. Alas not yet.

Still, always good to hear that other issues are being resolved.

• Reply 3 of 12
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    sflocal wrote: »

Yep, incentive enough to consider Apple products. To be honest though this is the first I've heard of this issue, so apparently its isn't wide spread.
  • Reply 4 of 12

I have experienced this issue with my 2012 MacBook Air back in September. Took it in to the Apple Store and got the SSD replaced (still under warranty). Luckily I was still able to backup my data in Recovery Mode when the SSD started failing. Glad to see Apple being proactive on this and prevent others from losing their data.

• Reply 5 of 12
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    acgmph wrote: »
    I have experienced this issue with my 2012 MacBook Air back in September. Took it in to the Apple Store and got the SSD replaced (still under warranty). Luckily I was still able to backup my data in Recovery Mode when the SSD started failing. Glad to see Apple being proactive on this and prevent others from losing their data.

Somehow it reads as you don't us TimeMachine. If true, is that because you're using a laptop? I don't know as I simply pop in a new HDD when the current one is full in my MP.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    kevt wrote: »
    Each time there's a MacBook Air article like this I click on the headline hoping to read that Apple have done something about the 2013 MBA wifi disconnect and performance problem. Alas not yet.

Still, always good to hear that other issues are being resolved.

When I read about WiFi disconnect problems with zero comments on troubleshooting down to the router and its settings it's highly suspect. Remember that WiFi uses wireless transmissions which are subject to interference. If you haven't systematically tested and graphed different channels and different placements of both the router and MBA then you haven't done the basic tech support required.

My iMac had a disconnect issue with WiFi. I used iStumbler to see the number of WiFi hotspots (with unhidden SSIDs) in my area. This gave me a list of signal strength and channels being used. Since I"m using 802.11n I didn't have to worry about the horrible channel layering in 802.11g but I was able to find a more ideal option. That did the trick but I wasn't getting the full MCS Index so I devised a way to move the router to a better location which increased my MCS thereby increasing my data rate.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Somehow it reads as you don't us TimeMachine. If true, is that because you're using a laptop? I don't know as I simply pop in a new HDD when the current one is full in my MP.

I don't use TimeMachine because as I carry my laptop with me all the time and if I carry another HDD for the backup, that can get a lot of faults on it just from movement in the bag (I had this happening with other external HDDs). I am using a cloud service to backup important information, but day-to-day stuff I trust Apple :). Probably more than I should. But they never failed me so far.

• Reply 8 of 12
    My SSD failed just out of warranty and replacing it at an authorized center would cost about $1000. So, obviously, I replaced it with one by OWC for $160, just this monday. And now the fun part is that nobody will give me back the money and I don't need a second ssd even if they agree to replace. Thanks Apple! Buying this macbook air a couple months later would probably save me a lot of money.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    OS X has a notorious problem with memory leaks, and very often creates a swap file that 'consumes' HDD or SSD in this case. it seems that the MacBook Airs come to mass SSD issues, and Apple is now trying to give the impression that cares about its customers. In fact, they masks the real problem.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    nkk60 wrote: »
    OS X has a notorious problem with memory leaks, and very often creates a swap file that 'consumes' HDD or SSD in this case. it seems that the MacBook Airs come to mass SSD issues, and Apple is now trying to give the impression that cares about its customers. In fact, they masks the real problem.

Memory leaks don't create swap files. Memory leaks will slowly consume more and more memory even when doing nothing. I have seen none of this in Mac OS X. I've sen Safari, and other apps, use more RAM after I've added more RAM, but this is the app being aware of the available RAM, not the app using increasing more RAM while sitting idle due to issues with the app's coding.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Originally Posted by nkk60

OS X has a notorious problem with memory leaks

Since… when?

…and very often creates a swap file that ‘ onsumes' HDD or SSD in this case. 

No. Every OS does this when you put it to sleep. It’s writing the contents of RAM to the HDD.

…Apple is now trying to give the impression that cares about its customers.

Just shut up.

• Reply 12 of 12
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    acgmph wrote: »
    I don't use TimeMachine because as I carry my laptop with me all the time and if I carry another HDD for the backup, that can get a lot of faults on it just from movement in the bag (I had this happening with other external HDDs). I am using a cloud service to backup important information, but day-to-day stuff I trust Apple :). Probably more than I should. But they never failed me so far.

I'd get a time capsule. Or if you don't want to spend the money on one, I've heard of a way to get time machine to work on a network drive attached to an AirPort Extreme.