Rumor: Amazon's French and German sites suggest new Apple TV coming Oct. 23

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pinolo View Post

Hope Amazon is wrong, or else this is going to be an expensive Christmas time for me. New iPad (still have generation 1), new iPhone 5S (well, with carrier subsidies at least), was thinking about a new TV set (advice is welcome, btw) and now this... I have an AppleTV gen2 (the first "puck" apple tv). If the newer version opens up the app store then i'll have to upgrade, otherwise i might skip it...

Luckily the fabled iWatch won't appear until at least next year... Might have been too much.

And, sometimes in the future a new MacBook Pro will have to be purchased. But until now, thanks to Apple, the one I have seems to get better with age. (17" MBP, latest model before discontinuation). Mavericks breathes new life in "older" machines in an incredible way. From battery life to speed. And I'm glad about that!

Hard question to answer because it depends what price category you are buying in. Sharp and LG are the only companies that make all their own panels so the quality is consistent amongst all models. Lots of people complaining about panel inconsistency with Samsung's mid to lower price TVs. What you see on display might not be what is in the box. In the last two years I have went with LEDs made by Sharp. Sharp adds a fourth color pixel (yellow) that makes a big difference in detail. Also go with what is called a full array set so if you go with LED. That means the backlighting covers the whole panel. 

• Reply 22 of 53
    jim5656 wrote: »

Really?! I have two gen 2's laying around in my living. Funny thing is, ex wife wanted one but I won that war. Best news this morning!

Yup, no joke. I'm in Canada and you can always find ATV2s posted on eBay or Kijiji (similar to eBay, but Canadian-only as far as I know) for $200+. Best part is you don't even have to do the jailbreaking before selling it, but be prepared to prove it's a 2nd gen based in model number. Easiest money you'll ever make.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    Quote:

I read somewhere that plasma has a much better image quality but introduces a big lag if you play games. I am not an avid gamer by any means (and don't like FPS). But not being able to play my weekly dose of NHL would be bad...

Regarding the 2nd gen ATV, thx for the heads up!! I'll definitely try to sell mine (as I still have the original box to go with it and it is in pristine conditions). My only "hack" has been US iTunes store. And this alone makes a world of difference!

The difference between picture quality between plasma and LED has diminished over the years as the industry is pushing LED. The main difference used to be with darker colors where plasma TVs displayed them better. LEDs also display motion better. Plasma is cheaper, but all the advancements are with LED. 

Go to a place that is not real bright to look at difference models. Within the price category I was shopping in, I thought Sharp and LG had the best LED displays. If you want a plasma, Panosonic probably makes the best, but as somebody else mentioned they are exiting the business. 

• Reply 24 of 53
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    pinolo wrote: »
    I read somewhere that plasma has a much better image quality but introduces a big lag if you play games. I am not an avid gamer by any means (and don't like FPS). But not being able to play my weekly dose of NHL would be bad...

Regarding the 2nd gen ATV, thx for the heads up!! I'll definitely try to sell mine (as I still have the original box to go with it and it is in pristine conditions). My only "hack" has been US iTunes store. And this alone makes a world of difference!

Plasma is better in every single way. Particularly with fast motion. The only thing it's worse at is power consumption vs LEDs- but it's not a crazy difference.

Go plasma- of course you'll have to go 42"+. Panasonic is the best budget. Pioneer is the best top-line. I have a 60" LG and it's solid as well- got it maybe a year and a half ago for $799? It's my primary TV, but I use my media room w/ projector for serious movie watching or games- so I didn't need anything high-end in the den. Very happy with it though.

Just jump on amazon and look at the reviews before pulling the trigger.

btw- TBell is correct- Plasma basically has nowhere left to go- all the advancements are in LEDs who will overtake quality/performance from plasma soon enough across the board. But until then- low/mid large TV I would only do Plasma.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    I predict a new Apple TV with a built-in antenna which will allow for [I]A LOT MORE TO COVER.[/I]
  • Reply 26 of 53
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    I believe this just happens to be a coincidence and the date is when Amazon will recieve more current gen Appe TV's. I really do hope a new Apple TV is coming though.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    Originally Posted by broadbean View Post

So this is news, or even a good guess?

Being that this involves Amazon, not in the slightest.

Remember, Amazon’s the company that listed tutorial books for iWork ’10, iWork ’11, iWork ’12, iLife ’12… 

Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post

There is virtually no way this will happen as nothing to speak of has been leaked. The days of a surprise at an Apple event are gone for good.

So you’re forgetting over half of every keynote, then?

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

I predict a new Apple TV with a built-in antenna which will allow for A LOT MORE TO COVER.

Apple utilizing the current OTA setup for content? I don’t think so. :p

• Reply 28 of 53
    I guess that means my next TV will be Sharp, because my current LG looks atrocious.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post

There is virtually no way this will happen as nothing to speak of has been leaked. The days of a surprise at an Apple event are gone for good.

So you knew about the A7?  You knew it was 64-bit?  You knew about the M7?  You knew it handled all movement processing separately?  You knew about the new LTE bands on the 5c and 5s?

Outside of the dual flash and touch ID- both external components- we didn't have an idea about what is on the inside.  So Apple could easily release a new Apple TV with the exact same form factor- and we wouldn't know about the inside components- which is all that matters on that.  What would an A7X, Increased Ram, Increased Hard Drive, wireless AC, and new software leak look like?  Exactly.

Not saying the new ATV will have that, but when it is released, we won't hear a word about prior to announcement unless the shell changes.

Side note: I didn't even mention the 2012 iMac, new Mac Pro, new Airports/Time Capsules, 2012 Retina MacBook Pros, etc. that had no pictures or leaks prior to their releases.  So outside of external components on iDevices, everything else is pretty hush hush.

• Reply 30 of 53
    pazuzu wrote: »
    I predict a new Apple TV with a built-in antenna which will allow for A LOT MORE TO COVER.

Personally I'd for them to uncover new goodies.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    Quote:

Question for those in the know - I have a 2nd gen, non-jailbroken, box, etc. It is up to date with the latest official build. Is that a problem for jail breakers? If not, I may look to sell it and get two 3rd gens (or 4th if they are announced tuesday)

• Reply 32 of 53
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

No, your buddies are using it as an excuse, they all suck.  ;-)

I'm a big Boarderlands 2 fan on the PS3 and I have no issues what so ever with my 55" Pioneer Plasma.  And watching the real NHL on it is unreal, the contrast between the black (shadows in the arena) and the ice (brilliant white) are awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Remember, Amazon’s the company that listed tutorial books for iWork ’10, iWork ’11, iWork ’12, iLife ’12… 

You beat me to it.  Hey, do they have one for iWork '14?  Forgot to check...

• Reply 33 of 53
    But there is this:

Good point! I forgot about that.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    Quote:

Hope Apple isn't refreshing the 3rd gen AppleTV with different colors (covers).

• Reply 35 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I guess that means my next TV will be Sharp, because my current LG looks atrocious.

I am very happy with my two Sharps. Before buying, I did a lot of research and went to about three different stores comparing quality. It would be great if Apple came out with something. Rumor was Apple was going to use Sharp's panels, but we do not see a product, so who knows. 

• Reply 36 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

I'm a big Boarderlands 2 fan on the PS3 and I have no issues what so ever with my 55" Pioneer Plasma.  And watching the real NHL on it is unreal, the contrast between the black (shadows in the arena) and the ice (brilliant white) are awesome.

Pioneer made a sweet TV with its Elite series, but you paid serious dollars for the set and I think Pioneer switched to having Panosonic make its panels. Now Panasonic is exiting the business as well. 

• Reply 37 of 53
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member

Best bet is the next Apple TV won't be a drastic change. 

Basically Apple's gonna drop in a BCM4350 (announced at Computex in the summer)  bringing the Apple TV up to 802.11AC. 

Makes sense to me seeing as how they have 11ac Airport Routers now.  It's time to move 

the entire lineup to 11ac. 

• Reply 38 of 53
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Best bet is the next Apple TV won't be a drastic change. 

Basically Apple's gonna drop in a BCM4350 (announced at Computex in the summer)  bringing the Apple TV up to 802.11AC. 

Makes sense to me seeing as how they have 11ac Airport Routers now.  It's time to move 

the entire lineup to 11ac. 

I should hope they swap the A5 for an A7 or A6… That would at least allow for higher bitrate content. I don’t care about any of the other implications, since I think they’re mostly stupid.

• Reply 39 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Pioneer made a sweet TV with its Elite series, but you paid serious dollars for the set and I think Pioneer switched to having Panosonic make its panels. Now Panasonic is exiting the business as well. 

All Panasonic products I've owned have been solid. It's too bad they're withdrawing from so many sectors. In terms of aesthetics, Sony is nice, but I don't want to pay extra for the name.

• Reply 40 of 53
    Quote:

Personally, just a 75ohm connector would do for me…. which would allow taking in OTA or cable….