Google adds free voice calling to Google Hangouts for iOS, incoming calls to Google Voice

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 54
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

     

    Does anyone understand what Google's strategy is? I don't. They just seem to look for anything that technological change has made possible to now do for free, and do it.


     

    They're doing it in the hopes of driving out competition over a 5-10 year period. After they own the markets they're monopolizing, they'll charge whatever they want and make a profit. Same as Amazon. I don't give either of these companies my business unless absolutely necessary.

  • Reply 22 of 54
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post



    No thanks. Will stick with FaceTime for video calls or wifi calls and mobile or land line for all others. If YouTube wasn't part of Google I would ditch google altogether.

     

    Keep in mind that Hangouts, on computers, phones, and tablets, can accommodate up to ten people at a time. As the primary speaker changes, the image on the device changes to correspond to the speaker.

     

    It is pretty good.

  • Reply 23 of 54
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

     

     

    Who the hell wants to talk to an Android user?


    Emmm, do you understand what VOIP is? This allows you to call any phone number (smartphone, dumb phone, rotary dial phone etc) via the hangout app, including long distance, for FREE.

  • Reply 24 of 54
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

     
    Emmm, do you understand what VOIP is? This allows you to call any phone number (smartphone, dumb phone, rotary dial phone etc) via the hangout app, including long distance, for FREE.


    I've heard that Google has pretty good voice recognition capabilities. I wonder if they are listening in on your conversations.

  • Reply 25 of 54

    Since I rarely use face time, has anyone fond a way t suppress it in Contacts?  I'd prefer to reduce clutter on my Contacts display by supressing/not displaying things that I rarely use.

  • Reply 26 of 54
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,764member
    mstone wrote: »
    I've heard that Google has pretty good voice recognition capabilities. I wonder if they are listening in on your conversations.

    Google still does voice sampling, even personalized with user permission, to improve the accuracy of it's speech recognition engine. Apple does the same via Siri. I guess it could be considered listening.
    https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/186263?hl=en
    http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/04/siri-two-years/
  • Reply 27 of 54
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

    I've heard that Google has pretty good voice recognition capabilities. I wonder if they are listening in on your conversations.

     

    If you start seeing this:

     

    You’ll know.

  • Reply 28 of 54
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post



    Google still does voice sampling with user permission to improve accuracy. Apple does the same. I guess it could be considered listening.

    Well they also were allowed to share user's browsing info with third parties, if the user clicked on an ad... or not. Submitting a form in the background using JS without user permission could be considered illegal, or wait, it was ruled as such and they were fined. I like Google software, but their ethics sometimes leaves a bit to be desired like drive by scraping home wifi user data, etc.

  • Reply 29 of 54
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,764member
    mstone wrote: »
    Well they also were allowed to share user's browsing info with third parties, if the user clicked on an ad... or not. Submitting a form in the background using JS without user permission could be considered illegal, or wait, it was ruled as such and they were fined. I like Google software, but their ethics sometimes leaves a bit to be desired like drive by scraping home wifi user data, etc.

    Apple allows users "anonymized" information to be shared with 3rd parties. That anonymized info can include your general location, what you do for a living, household dynamics and a few other things some of us might not consider "anonymized" when talking about other companies. What Google collects and how it's permitted to be used is not really any different than what Apple collects and how it's permitted to be used.

    The only difference IMO is that some assume if Apple does it then it's for good reasons that shouldn't be open to question while if Google does the same it's with evil intent and malice.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

     
    Quote:

    Apple allows users "anonymized" information to be shared with 3rd parties. That anonymized info can include your general location, what you do for a living, household dynamics and a few other things some of us might not consider "anonymized" when talking about other companies. What Google collects and how it's permitted to be used is not really any different than what Apple collects and how it's permitted to be used.



    I was just mentioning the illegal activities that Google has been caught doing. I'm not sure what Apple has to do with any of that.

  • Reply 31 of 54
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,764member
    mstone wrote: »
    I was just mentioning the illegal activities that Google has been caught doing. I'm not sure what Apple has to do with any of that.

    Apple has been accused of privacy violations too. Search "Apple sued for privacy violations". Do accusations make it true? Further does the lack of a guilty verdict attached to accusations mean everything was hunky-dory in the first place and there's no reasons to be concerned whether it's Microsoft, Yahoo, Apple or Google? I think you'd like things to be black and white like in the old movies. It's not.
  • Reply 32 of 54

    What are you doing with Google in Dutch?
    mstone wrote: »
    I like Google software, but their ethics sometimes leaves a bit to be desired like drive by scraping home wifi user data, etc.

    Putting it mildly!
    mstone wrote: »
    I'm not sure what Apple has to do with any of that.

    Nothing, obviously.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

    What are you doing with Google in Dutch?

     

    Took her out on a date, made her pay. Only seemed appropriate, the little slut she is.

  • Reply 34 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post



    Hey AI... There a reason why you're not reporting on this:



    http://www.apple.com/support/macbookair-flashdrive/



    I'd say a big recall of a major product is pretty newsworthy.

    From the articles that I have read on the subject you install a firmware update and then it determines if the flash drive needs to be replaced.  Not all drives need to be replaced. Lol blame samsung because most of the flash drives are made by them.  Either way you just unplug it and plug in a new one.  Big Deal.

    Not really noteworthy at all.

    And for your info they did report on it right here:  http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/10/17/apple-issues-macbook-air-firmware-update-to-check-test-for-ssd-failures

  • Reply 35 of 54
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,764member
    mechanic wrote: »
    From the articles that I have read on the subject you install a firmware update and then it determines if the flash drive needs to be replaced.  Not all drives need to be replaced. Lol blame samsung because most of the flash drives are made by them.
    I think these came from Toshiba didn't they?
  • Reply 36 of 54
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    Yes. It’s “laziness” that prevents them from doing this. Not hundreds of regulations, millions in fees, and forcing FaceTime to be a paid service for the first time ever.

     

    Come on.


     

    What are you talking about? If google or even small app developers like TextFree can do it, then surely Apple can do it too and offer it for free at least for US calls.

  • Reply 37 of 54
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">What are you doing with Google in Dutch?</span>

    Took her out on a date, made her pay. Only seemed appropriate, the little slut she is.

    With so few people living in Dutch-land, I certainly hope I don't know her!
  • Reply 38 of 54
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,457member

    I've tried this but the Google Voice app already allows me to make cellular calls and since I have unlimited minutes I don't care about making wifi calls. It doesn't allow you to receive your sms messages from the same number within the app so it is pointless. Then on top of that I'd have to ignore the 600+ people I have as friends on FB with whom I message through that app and go try to hang at Google+ which is a ghost town.

  • Reply 39 of 54
    People still talk on telephones?
  • Reply 40 of 54
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

     

    I've heard that Google has pretty good voice recognition capabilities. I wonder if they are listening in on your conversations.


     

    They do, via software.  The software filters keywords and may use those to target ads toward you.  It also (if you so choose) will transcribe any voice messages you receive into an email and send that to you- so you can get voice messages people leave you in either voice format and/or as an email.

     

    If that creeps you out, you probably shouldn't use it.  Apple collects similar information too, but gets a pass from most of its users.  If you somehow avoid both of them, the carriers like AT&T do it too.  It is pretty tough to escape, but about the only way to do it these days is go live in a cave.

Sign In or Register to comment.