Apple begins airing TV spot for gold iPhone 5s

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    patpatpat wrote: »
    If demand far exceeds supply, why waste the money. Wait until demand has fallen off and then push the ads.

Your comment would make perfect sense if we all had the memory of goldfish or suffered the same ailment as Leonard Shelby in Memento. But we aren't goldfish nor suffer from anterograde amnesia so we're perfectly fine with seeing an ad before immediately buying a product. That said, I know someone this past week saw a Gold iPhone pop up at his local store and was able to drive down to pick it up. This is all without the online hold option that can be done to secure the item. It was also the harder to find Verizon with 64GB, not some 16GB Sprint version.

Maybe, but maybe is exactly the right word. Apple marketing have certainly come out with some doozies. It doesn't take a "genius" to realize that. :-D

Sure, Apple has a horrible track records with ads. :no::\:rolleyes:
  • Reply 22 of 59
    akqies wrote: »
    .... so we're perfectly fine with seeing an ad before immediately buying a product....
    Sure, Apple has a horrible track records with ads. :no::\:rolleyes:
    I'll counter and say that we're perfectly fine buying a product without seeing an ad, as well.

Second point, which ties in with your first about the memory of a goldfish, were the Olympics so long ago that no one remembers?
  • Reply 23 of 59
    I'll counter and say that we're perfectly fine buying a product without seeing an ad, as well.

Second point, which ties in with your first about the memory of a goldfish, were the Olympics so long ago that no one remembers?

Coca-Cola is the number one cola on the planet and you can get it quite easily in pretty much every country in the world and they advertise. Are you saying they are also a stupid company?
  • Reply 24 of 59
    Coca-Cola is the number one cola on the planet and you can get it quite easily in pretty much every country in the world and they advertise. Are you saying they are also a stupid company?
    I don't have to go back to the store 2 weeks later to pick up my order of coke.
    You seem to be completely missing my point.
    Apple advertising the 5s gold, this late after release, and long after the 5c ads came out, to me, is signaling a shift that 5s models are about to become more readily available.

Did I say "stupid" in any of my posts? Don't be getting all pissy and putting words in my mouth.
  • Reply 25 of 59
    Just when Samsung has finally managed to copy the "look and feel" of Apple's typical ads (see Galaxy Note 7 ad), Apple changes it up. How aggravating for them.
  • Reply 26 of 59
    Apple advertising the 5s gold, this late after release, and long after the 5c ads came out, to me, is signaling a shift that 5s models are about to become more readily available.

Well, yeah! Except for a catastrophic issue production tends to ramp up as supply chain and production issues are worked out. Once they've squared away their current issues they may have opened up other assembly lines or simply increased production in other areas. That's par for the course.
  • Reply 27 of 59
    Well, yeah! Except for a catastrophic issue production tends to ramp up as supply chain and production issues are worked out. Once they've squared away their current issues they may have opened up other assembly lines or simply increased production in other areas. That's par for the course.
    Iphone 5 ads came out the same day as the phone went on sale.
    5s ad is much later, there something to be read between the lines there.
  • Reply 28 of 59

No between the lines reading, just a lot of hypothesis that will likely never be verified. There are simply too many variables at play. Perhaps they found it was a waste of money due to the momentum of their announcement and the tech media for the first couple weeks. There are just as arguments on each for it to ultimately be anything more than an opinion as to why they choose to do one thing or another; which is fine, so long as you word it that way and not try to read between the lines.
  • Reply 29 of 59
    I just finished watching the video linked in the article on my iPhone and then right after the ad showed during the Colts-Broncos game I'm watching!
  • Reply 30 of 59

Yes, indeed, there is. With all the incredible and free publicity Apple has been getting for the 5S -- including from fandoids and haters everywhere, even in Apple forums like this one -- perhaps the company figured it could wait a little longer and save a few bucks.
  • Reply 31 of 59
    No between the lines reading, just a lot of hypothesis that will likely never be verified. There are simply too many variables at play. Perhaps they found it was a waste of money due to the momentum of their announcement and the tech media for the first couple weeks. There are just as arguments on each for it to ultimately be anything more than an opinion as to why they choose to do one thing or another; which is fine, so long as you word it that way and not try to read between the lines.
    With apple, reading between the lines is all we get. :-)
  • Reply 32 of 59
    With apple, reading between the lines is all we get. :-)

I certainly see your point there but I think it's dangerous to create inferences when there usually isn't enough data to make such a deduction, at least not without a good measure of qualification. For instance, I think your later comment, "Apple advertising the 5s gold, this late after release, and long after the 5c ads came out, to me, is signaling a shift that 5s models are about to become more readily available." is a well stated and qualified hypothesis and is not simply reading between the lines.
  • Reply 33 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Maybe, but maybe is exactly the right word. Apple marketing have certainly come out with some doozies. It doesn't take a "genius" to realize that. :-D

"Maybe"? There is no maybe about this.

The fact that some of their ads did not turn out great doesn't mean they know less than you/we do. There is no "maybe" at all. To pretend otherwise simply diminishes your credibility. In fact, it's laughable.

• Reply 34 of 59
    "Maybe"? There is no maybe about this.

.... To pretend otherwise simply diminishes your credibility. In fact, it's laughable.
    Right back at you.
  • Reply 35 of 59
    Quote:

I'm honestly curious.

What exactly did you read?

Just so it's clear.

• Reply 36 of 59
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress0660 View Post

They haven't stopped advertising the 5C. They were advertising the 5C far before the 5S. Could be the fact that they're starting to get a better stock of the 5S so they can now start pushing it. 

It is still impossible to find gold iPhones in stock at Apple stock. They get sold out the within minutes of being in stock (buy online pick up in store). However, Apple does show 2 to 3 weeks shipping, which is an improvement from last earlier this month.

• Reply 37 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Maybe we should consider the possibility they know more about marketing than we do?

One would hope that Apple does know about marketing. It seems that they do... at least I think so.

Although, being a big company with lots of dollars available for advertising doesn't always translate into a successful marketing campaign.

It's not always a given.

ie. the lemmings ad was not received well and it was shown only 1 year after the iconic 1984 ad.

• Reply 38 of 59
    Quote:

Right back at you.

That doesn't even make sense. This is a feeble attempt at a last word. Do you not have the humility to admit you're wrong?

• Reply 39 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

One would hope that Apple does know about marketing. It seems that they do... at least I think so.

Although, being a big company with lots of dollars available for advertising doesn't always translate into a successful marketing campaign.

It's not always a given.

ie. the lemmings ad was not received well and it was shown only 1 year after the iconic 1984 ad.

Agree  (except that I am baffled that you would only *think* Apple knows marketing) - knowing marketing ? every ad will be a big hit.

• Reply 40 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Agree  (except that I am baffled that you would only *think* Apple knows marketing) - knowing marketing ? every ad will be a big hit.

I think you read too much into that statement.  1tongue.gif 

Ads are the foundation of a marketing campaign. If you blow your main ad it can put your entire marketing campaign in jeopardy.

a successful ad or two ? knowledge in marketing (and, no, I am not talking about Apple... this is a general statement)