Apple reaffirmed to launch Retina iPad mini, slimmed down iPad on Tuesday

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    almondroca wrote: »
    Or is Apple releasing a gold Mini?

How could we possibly see if they are going to cover it? I'd rather see them uncovering something.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    The price between the high end classification like the next generation iPad5 and a high end iPad Mini Retina is around $50 dollars more in retail price. But in the past; Apple choice to make the smaller size using outdated technology to lower it cost to retain it profit margin. This has to change. Bring out the iPad Mini Retina with the same technology inside the full size iPad. I have no problem with Apple charging more for a high end iPad Mini Retina.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    dsddsd Posts: 186member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

g) buy back your shorts

h) $$$.

Finally Phase Two is revealed!

• Reply 24 of 35
    kpom wrote: »
    The WSJ and AllThingsD, along with Jim Dalrymple, appear to be Apple's preferred communications channels for controlled leaks. I don't think any "rumor" from the WSJ or AllThingsD the day before a product announcement has been incorrect. Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher of AllThingsD are severing ties with News Corp. in December, though, so it remains to be seen where Apple will head in the future.

That said, what we don't know yet is how much supply there will be of the iPad mini. That's the one I want. For the 3rd and 4th iPads, and last year's mini launch, supplies were plentiful and so were sales. If rumors are right, supplies of the larger iPad should be plentiful while the mini might be tight.

That is because Apple wants you to think that way! Why would the iPad 5 have a lot of supply while the iPad Mini Retina be restricted. The Mini Retina is suppose to outsell the iPad5 from 2 to 4 times for 2014!
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

You'd think if no retina mini was coming Apple would have leaked something to their preferred outlets. Having WSJ report that its coming a day before the event and then not announcing one would not be good. Unless this WSJ report (and the one from a month or so ago) are Apple leaks?

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Why?

The WSJ is no longer the respected publication it once was. 

Because WSJ continues to post reliable *predictions* on the Monday preceding the Tuesday events.

• Reply 26 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Will never work.  Once you establish yourself as a premium brand you can somewhat insulate yourself from the "race to the bottom" antics of your competitors.  Much like Target can run as many sales as they want Nordstrom's will be unaffected because they clientele are different. 

Apple's biggest task is to maintain premium status. 

Apple's iPhone is no ordinary premium brand. I can't think of another premium brand that dominates in sales volume like the iPhone line. The % of population going into Apple Stores is far greater than the % of population going into Nordstrom or BMW. I think it's moot to use other industries as analogy because this is just a totally different market. Making any kind of prediction is a fool's errand.

• Reply 27 of 35
    iaeen wrote: »
    This kind of thing happens every Apple release. Analysts and reporters promise the moon. Apple instead releases the best product that's actually possible. Analysts claim apple is losing its touch. Share prices fall while Apple collects record profits. Repeat.

Also, I doubt that Apple would be inclined to leak any info to the WSJ given the number of smear jobs they have put into print in the past.

But but but but, if the Wall Street Journal says it, it has to be true... Amirite? Amirite? Amirite?
  • Reply 28 of 35
    kpom wrote: »

That said, what we don't know yet is how much supply there will be of the iPad mini. That's the one I want. For the 3rd and 4th iPads, and last year's mini launch, supplies were plentiful and so were sales. If rumors are right, supplies of the larger iPad should be plentiful while the mini might be tight.

I'm of the opinion that Apple plays the "shortage" rumors like a pro. They create the rumor to build the hunger before the release and garner tons of free press and explosive first weekend sales... It's what a market leader can do. If Samsung were to try this, it die in the womb.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    A new mini with the A7 processor, IGZO retina display, updated cameras, and the fingerprint scanner would be a dream, but unfortunately Apple holds back features in order to rely on them the following model year. I'd guess A6 with a non IGZO retina and updated cameras will be it.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    I doubt the mini to have retina now, but who knows.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    I certainly hope this WSJ report proves true. It makes a retina MacBook Air next year much more likely. That's probably what it'll take to get me to part with my aging but reliable MacBook.

And I wouldn't mind seeing the current iPad mini discounted, particularly in refurb. I have a full-sized iPad, so don't really need one, but a price cut would be tempting.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Look, I know Apple isn't Samsung and doesn't just make and throw everything at the wall to see what sticks. But these announcements are getting be a yawn-inducing borefest, what with not a single surprise in the last few years. We haven't had a "And one more thing..." in years.

Predictable, and that means irrelevant at some point.

Something, anything...it's obvious the security imperative Cook set forth a year or so ago isn't sticking; the supply chain is as transparent as ever and everyone knows full well what's being announced days, even months, before an event.

Here's the chance, Apple. Surprise us. No, really, surprise us.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Look, I know Apple isn't Samsung and doesn't just make and throw everything at the wall to see what sticks. But these announcements are getting be a yawn-inducing borefest, what with not a single surprise in the last few years. We haven't had a "And one more thing..." in years.

Predictable, and that means irrelevant at some point.

Something, anything...it's obvious the security imperative Cook set forth a year or so ago isn't sticking; the supply chain is as transparent as ever and everyone knows full well what's being announced days, even months, before an event.

Here's the chance, Apple. Surprise us. No, really, surprise us.

So you weren't surprised by the 64 bit A7, or the the new Mac Pro?
  • Reply 34 of 35
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

That's a rather big venue for announcing a screen resolution upgrade.

• Reply 35 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

So you weren't surprised by the 64 bit A7, or the the new Mac Pro?

I was, but I don't think anyone's mom/grandmother was. The marketing department needs to do some work, not just engineering.