Impending iPad refresh viewed as Apple's most important since the first iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 69

Got it. I wasn't thinking right. I was thinking 3rd quarter (Jul-Sept), not Apple's fiscal third quarter. 

• Reply 42 of 69
    WOW, and these clowns on Wall Street get paid for this incredible insight. What a joke.
  • Reply 43 of 69
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Apple was out of touch on the 5c. It will be blunder of major proportion if they blow the iPad Retina mini release.

If Apple drops the ball and fails to release the iPad mini Retina, the fiasco with the fugly colored 5c will pale in comparison, AAPL will drop to the low 4s, and Tim Cook should be shown the sidewalk post haste.

Why do you even bother posting?

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/10/21/ipad-2-remains-apples-most-popular-tablet-iphone-5c-demand-growing

• Reply 44 of 69
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    It will be the best ipad they have ever made and it will be just incredible. Theres no rumour here, that's what it will be :) it always is ;p
  • Reply 45 of 69
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Tallest, head over to c|net and search user Scott_Wilson. Rabid troll posts in every single Apple related article. Apparently has decided to branch out into Apple centric forums now. It's going to get real ugly real quick. Mark my word. 

The best thing CNet did ( but could do better) is essentially shut down the ability to post comments on (big) headlines until the article has been around a while.  I suspect it had to do with idiot trolls like ScottWilson.  At least I can read articles now and not read the putrid cesspool of comments from this jerk.

However, the moment they open it up, he's usually one of the first to piss in the pool.

• Reply 46 of 69
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

However, the moment they open it up, he's usually one of the first to piss in the pool.

“Welcome to our Forum. Notice there is no ‘Apple sucks’ in it. Let’s keep it that way.”

• Reply 47 of 69
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In his recent trips to Taiwan and China, he's been told the new iPad will be about 15 percent thinner and as much as 30 percent lighter than the current fourth-generation iPad.

If this is true, the 5th gen iPad must have an IGZO-based LCD (or OLED) touchscreen.

Or maybe Apple has massively advanced their battery technology.

And I would be extremely surprised if the 5th gen iPad doesn't get an A7X SoC and Touch ID sensor.

Apple has always put the latest AXX SoC in each year's "big" iPad.  Should happen again this year.

But will the 2nd gen iPad mini get the A7X?  I think Apple might upgrade the iPad mini with last year's A6X.

That would give it enough CPU and GPU to easily drive a Retina display, if Apple puts a Retina display in it.

And, of course, an A6X would mean no 64-bit processing and therefore no Touch ID.

The iPhone 5C has last year's A6 SoC and iPhone 5 hardware.  The iPad mini might also be on

the 1-year-old SoC track, so maybe the 3rd gen iPad mini would get the A7X and Touch ID next year.

Who knows?

• Reply 48 of 69
    First the most important iOS7 and iPhone update in years, now the most important iPad update in years!

And then the most important OS X update in years! And then the most important MacBook Pro update in years! When will it end?

And supply's will suck only 3 each of these will be available!!! Apple is Doomed!!!

My iPhone 5s and buying both a new MacBook Pro & iPad the moment their available proves this!
  • Reply 49 of 69

Intel Bay Trail Z3770 + Windows 8.1 tablets are $499 or less.  

The Bay Trail devices might not have the same graphics performance as the A7X, but the software and API support of a complete version of x86 Windows can eclipse anything iOS can offer.  You can run software from AutoCAD to Foobar2000 to Photoshop to Steam and games like Half Life 2 or Starcraft 2.  USB3.0 support allows you to connect and utilize any USB device at high speeds. Potential for an active digitizer can make navigation of the UI for advanced programs or note taking a breeze.  

Not really sure what Apple can do with an A7X + iOS 7 to better that.

• Reply 50 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

If this is true, the 5th gen iPad must have an IGZO-based LCD (or OLED) touchscreen.

Sharp's new Bay Trail tablet (Mebius Pad) has a 10.1 inch 2560x1600 IGZO display with an active digitizer.  

So I could imagine a high resolution IGZO display is a possibility for an iPad 5.

• Reply 51 of 69
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobertSmith View Post

What are the chances that 32GB becomes the new minimum?

That would be a very smart move. New, refined case, faster processor and more storage. Same price. I believe that would move the needle. Thoughts?

• Reply 52 of 69
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gotApple View Post

What a joke. iPad 1 was unusably slow. iPad 2 has been the most important update since iPad 1 - all iPads after 2 and 2 included have been usable.

iPad 1 was proof of concept! Damn, what's your problem?

Yes, it's limited... Mine is topped out at iOS 5. Apps I can't use from my iPhone5 and iPadMini.

Otherwise perfectly fine for browsing the internet/reading articles, reading iBooks and using Pages, etc.

• Reply 53 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by H2P View Post

That would be a very smart move. New, refined case, faster processor and more storage. Same price. I believe that would move the needle. Thoughts?

That would seem reasonable, just about every Bay Trail tablet has 32GB, 64GB or 128GB with microSD.

16GB is on the way out for tablets.

• Reply 54 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Hear! Hear!

I'm telling this again: WSJ DON'T DESERVE SERIOUS AUDIENCES.

Look at their news about Google's Moto. Almost a 25% lost YOY and what is the headline? What do you think is the headline if Apple lost money 25% YOY?

Might Google Have a Sly Motive Behind Motorola?

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303672404579147624149283910

Give me a break really.

Not only is there "no evidence that Motorola is pushing down prices," as the article writes, but Motorola also hasn't lowered its own prices. The Moto X sells for around $600 which is comparable to the price of most other high-end smartphones.

• Reply 55 of 69
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    massconn72 wrote: »
    And still I don't care.

And nobody cares about your lack of caring.
  • Reply 56 of 69
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    3rd quarter sales were down 27% yoy.
    There's quite a simple reason for that, which I expect no-one is taking into account.

3Q last year, the "New" iPad (or iPad 3) had only been announced a few months earlier, and it could be expected that the next refresh would be in March or April this year. Then they held their October Surprise announcement, with the iPad 4.

This year, the iPad 4 is getting on for a year old, no other version has been announced, and it's generally considered that the iPad 5 will be out in October. So people who might have been looking to buy an iPad in 3Q this year are more likely to hold off until after the October announcement.

We see this happen again and again with Apple when they move announcements. Moving the iPhone announcement from June to September meant that sales in August that year were down. People are willing to hold off a few months just to make sure they get the latest device. It's not unique to Apple, but with Apple it tends to be seen as another sign of their impending doom.

Apple Death Watch: Now in its 38th year.
  • Reply 57 of 69
    anome wrote: »
    There's quite a simple reason for that, which I expect no-one is taking into account.

3Q last year, the "New" iPad (or iPad 3) had only been announced a few months earlier, and it could be expected that the next refresh would be in March or April this year. Then they held their October Surprise announcement, with the iPad 4.

This year, the iPad 4 is getting on for a year old, no other version has been announced, and it's generally considered that the iPad 5 will be out in October. So people who might have been looking to buy an iPad in 3Q this year are more likely to hold off until after the October announcement.

We see this happen again and again with Apple when they move announcements. Moving the iPhone announcement from June to September meant that sales in August that year were down. People are willing to hold off a few months just to make sure they get the latest device. It's not unique to Apple, but with Apple it tends to be seen as another sign of their impending doom.

Right on, brotha! The other thing? Percentage alone does not tell the story.
  • Reply 58 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Anome View Post

I think the Q3 you are talking about is not the same Q3 others are referring to.

• Reply 59 of 69
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    I think the Q3 you are talking about is not the same Q3 others are referring to.
    If not, then I can only plead ignorance as to when it is. My timing may be off, but I think my logic is still sound.
  • Reply 60 of 69
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobertSmith View Post

What are the chances that 32GB becomes the new minimum?

I know that most people are streaming most things so local storage is less important, but it would be nice to carry around one's photo library as well and not need to rely on a network connection.

I was trying to post like yours then I saw your post.  Two more things that Apple can do to make the new iPad the most important, TouchID and gps chip in wifi models.