Apple reportedly testing iPad keyboard akin to Microsoft's Touch Cover

Comments

• Reply 21 of 116
    Microsoft licensed some patents by apple for the surface. Apple can do the same. As long as the inventor gets paid and is willing to license I fail to see the problem. For example, if Microsoft didn't license their exchange stuff, iOS wouldn't be where it is in terms of business adoption
  • Reply 22 of 116
    "Is that all Apple can do these days is to copy other companies"

Microsoft's touch covers are a ripp off of Apple's Smart Cover, they wouldn't exist hasn't Microsoft copied the magnetic design, the dynamic waking up of the device and so on. The magnetic system is exactly the same, who copies who, really?

Moreover an Apple patent describing a Smart Cover with built-in keyboard was published in August 2012 by the US Patent & Trademark Office. Since the surface was released on October 2012, you will have a hard time accusing Apple of copying Microsoft.
  • Reply 23 of 116
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

This would be decent.

But it NEEDS TO WORK ON YOUR LAP, unlike the Surface.

• Reply 25 of 116
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    "A keyboard cover would probably sell very well, but I think it would damage Apple's image and vision for the iPad more than it would be worth."

Don't see why. Lot's of people have bought covers from Logitech and others in order to do heavier typing, writing, etc..

The difference is that the iPad is useful without the keyboard, which can easily be removed when it's not needed. The Surface? Not so much.
  • Reply 26 of 116

I remember seeing this back in 2011, and I was blown away!  I looked it up again, and sure enough Apple was awarded the patent for this keyboard design back in 2011!  Check out the Article: http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2011/07/apple-invents-new-flat-keyless-keyboard-for-desktops-more.html

• Reply 27 of 116
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Well I suppose if Apple copied Microsoft with a left-click, right-click mouse then anything is possible. :\
  • Reply 28 of 116
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

The keyboard covers are pretty nifty if you ask me, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if Apple have something in the lab.  Bit of a distance from the lab to the store though, so it's more likely than not that we'll never see them.

On the complete hypothetical that they do release something like this... would they put a lightning connector on the long side of the iPad?  Doubt you'd fit much of a battery or bluetooth connector in a thin keyboard cover, so they'd have to, right?  Would they move the connector, or would they have two, one on the bottom and one on the side?  And how would the iPad stand up?  I can't imagine Apple including a kickstand in the iPad shell, so would the cover include a backplate with some kind of prop?

Meh, we'll probably never see it, no point wondering.

• Reply 29 of 116
    bnz v3 wrote: »
    SO let me get this straight. Apple made something similar, for the iPad, BEFORE Micosoft ever even had a surface, and now somehow it's being insinuated that they are following Microsofts lead? Sounds to me like Microsoft made a keyboard akin to that of the original iPad.
    Actually, apple has a patent application in well before Microsoft unveiled surface cover keyboard combo. Which is kind of indicative of the two companies philosophies: Apple will invent a product, patent it, and may never release it or won't release it until they are satisfied it is the right solution. Microsoft on the other hand will invent a product and then push it through, along with three other variations of the same thing, hoping one is the correct solution.
  • Reply 30 of 116
    Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

Can you prove that? 

Sure. Do you see a 2.5” iPhone? A 5” iPhone? A 3.6? 4.2? How about a 7” iPad? 6? 17? Maybe an iMac with a docking port for an iPad. Oh, and then the MacBook Pro with a 3G antenna and SIM card slot.

Apple tests hundreds of things they never ship. Never even mention.

• Reply 31 of 116
    A keyboard cover is something that Apple have so far left to 3rd party accessory manufacturers, and I have to say I love my logitech keyboard case... I rarely use it at home where the smart cover and on screen keyboard suffice for my needs but for using my ipad at work for taking notes in meetings etc it is so much more accurate and efficient than the on screen keyboard and means I don't have to drag my ailing laptop around the office with me and worry about finding a power socket for it's failing battery.

I'm guessing this news means that Apple now see this as a market worth being in rather than just leaving it to the likes of Logitech and Snugg, etc with their 3rd party offerings.
  • Reply 32 of 116
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure. Do you see a 2.5” iPhone? A 5” iPhone? A 3.6? 4.2? How about a 7” iPad? 6? 17? Maybe an iMac with a docking port for an iPad. Oh, and then the MacBook Pro with a 3G antenna and SIM card slot.

Apple tests hundreds of things they never ship. Never even mention.

That's irrelevant. With that same logic I could counter it by saying Apple released an iPhone 5S that they tested, an iPad Mini that they tested. 

I asked if you can prove if Apple is not releasing a keyboard for their iPad. 

• Reply 33 of 116
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

No surprise really.

• Reply 34 of 116
    sabont wrote: »
    I remember seeing this back in 2011, and I was blown away!  I looked it up again, and sure enough Apple was awarded the patent for this keyboard design back in 2011!  Check out the Article: http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2011/07/apple-invents-new-flat-keyless-keyboard-for-desktops-more.html

"And boy, have we patented it"!
  • Reply 35 of 116
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member

Sounds good to me. And don't knock the Surface, if it was released a few years earlier it would have gained traction, but not today vs cheap Android tabs.

With the fire sale going for last year's RT model, I got a Surface for work with the cover on Amazon for $300 bucks. For what I use it for, it's great.

• Reply 36 of 116

Mouse. I rest my case.

• Reply 37 of 116
    doxxicdoxxic Posts: 100member
    It occurs to me that it should be possible to make an iPad keyboard cover that can take *three* positions, instead of just two. The picture of two docked iPads gave me the idea.

These are the positions I mean - the third could be quite special I think.

1: in use as keyboard, screen standing straight. As in the picture
    2: covering the front when iPad not in use.
    3: folded against the back, so you basically hold your iPad as if there is no keyboard. The trick would be that the part that holds the screen up when in use, is attached to the screen exactly in the middle. The benefit would be that you can keep the cover attached while still holding it like an iPad without a cover.

A quick glance on the web makes it seem that this has not been done anywhere yet. Most notably, Microsoft's Surface can not do this. As far as I can see, with a Surface you have to lay down the keyboard somewhere in order to use it as a bare tablet computer, which would make it unnecessarily cumbersome to use like a tablet as well as like a laptop.

Am I right? Could this be a neat, patentable little invention making the iPad a lot more useable for everyday work situations than a Surface?

Could this be what "We still have a lot to cover" means?
  • Reply 38 of 116
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

This would be decent.

But it NEEDS TO WORK ON YOUR LAP, unlike the Surface.

Have you actually tried using a Surface on your lap? I have with the touch cover and kickstand, and it works great.

I have both an iPad and a Surface RT, and I actually prefer using the Surface on my lap with the kickstand/keyboard over the iPad (particularly when I need to do more than just browse the web or play a game - i.e., when I need to do more typing). It works surprisingly well - way better than using an iPad with your thumbs or trying to balance it on your legs while you type on the screen. 

I personally would love to see something similar for the iPad - that is not bluetooth and doesn't require a separate charge - and is super thin like the Surface keyboard. 

• Reply 39 of 116
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hakime View Post

Microsoft's touch covers are a ripp off of Apple's Smart Cover, they wouldn't exist hasn't Microsoft copied the magnetic design, the dynamic waking up of the device and so on. The magnetic system is exactly the same, who copies who, really?

You're right Hakime.  I will say; however, that Microsoft took Apple's Smart Cover and significantly improved on it.  The fact that it's a keyboard is nice- and not bluetooth at that.  But more impressive is that it doesn't need a battery, and the new Smart Cover 2 actually increases the battery life of the surface.

Would I buy one?  No- I type on my iMac- and just browse with my iPad.  But I do give Microsoft some credit for creating a cover that is both functional as a keyboard and extends battery life.  That's nice.

• Reply 40 of 116

Maybe the cover will be able to increase the screen space. Wouldn't that be something.