Production issues predicted to limit Retina iPad mini supply until early 2014

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
  • Reply 42 of 56
    herbapou wrote: »
    No retina mini would be such a fail i dont even want to think it could even happen. That would basicly mean even Amazon can make better hardware than apple.

And the only reason i can think of for apple to have yield problem on the retina screens is if they went to a cutting edge tech, like IGZO.

I'm amazed at how many people seem to think Apple has no plans to ever release a retina mini. And even more amazing is the fact they think it doesn't matter and people will still rush to buy it anyway. If Apple announces a mini tomorrow that has no retina and no touch id what would be the point? What would be the incentive to buy it, other than if Apple dropped the price.

It's one thing if Apple is having production or yield issues with retina displays, or if they haven't nailed acceptable batty life yet. But if Apple is purposely keeping retina off the mini for no technological reason then I would finally agree with those who say Cook has to go. Because at that point Apple would no longer be a product company but a bean counting profit margin company.
  • Reply 43 of 56
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm amazed at how many people seem to think Apple has no plans to ever release a retina mini. And even more amazing is the fact they think it doesn't matter and people will still rush to buy it anyway. If Apple announces a mini tomorrow that has no retina and no touch id what would be the point? What would be the incentive to buy it, other than if Apple dropped the price.

It's one thing if Apple is having production or yield issues with retina displays, or if they haven't nailed acceptable batty life yet. But if Apple is purposely keeping retina off the mini for no technological reason then I would finally agree with those who say Cook has to go. Because at that point Apple would no longer be a product company but a bean counting profit margin company.

You need to take a deep breath and relax.
  • Reply 44 of 56

Here we go again with B S supply chain restriction ass analyst predictions.  File these and all others like these in the round file cabinet on the floor.

• Reply 45 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

Since Apple has never played in the cheap market there was never any market Apple had to hand over to Google. That is all Amazon, Google, and whatever other crap no-name tablet you can find on Amazon.com.

Furthermore, what market does the Google Nexus 7 actually own? I see Kindle Fire HD's every now and then but I rarely see any Google tablets. Anecdotally that would mean the cheap, small tablet market is owned by Amazon, not Google.

Finally, you read a claim that Apple can't make production yields (despite no proof) but then jumped to some oddball claim that it's a problem with iOS. WTF?!

Its funny too that google gets not one thin dime from the Kindle Fire HD because amazon forked the os lol.

• Reply 46 of 56
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    diz_geek wrote: »
    Reading these 'analysts', you would almost think that Apple waited until two days before a product launch before starting to build the supply chain and the day before launch to start building these things.... I'm sure with whatever is coming down the pipeline that a fair number of units have already been produced...

This is what is so asinine. I'm not sure why AI continues to damage their reputation by printing this stuff. In all likely hood they have 5 million of whatever already packaged for delivery, probably more if it is a 64 bit solution.

Beyond that there is never any explanation as to why there would be a limit on screen supply. If new technology is expected say so, but it is pretty obvious from what the rest of the industry delivers that screens for the most part aren't a problem.
  • Reply 47 of 56

Question for experienced iPad users...

I will buy an iPad Mini when the new ones come out.  If I almost never use it for videos or reading books would it really be a serious advantage for me to have a Retina display?  When I look at that MacBooks and iPads to compare Retina vs. Non-Retina I don't seem to notice a big difference.

Any opinions?

• Reply 48 of 56
    By not using words like supercilious?

What is nice here is that iPad defined that for me in a moment and thus I actually learnt something on AI. Not that I will every squeeze that word into daily conversation.
  • Reply 49 of 56
    herbapou wrote: »
    No retina mini would be such a fail i dont even want to think it could even happen. That would basicly mean even Amazon can make better hardware than apple.
    Amazon has an interesting engineering department, they certainly have a management team capable of squeezing interesting things out of that department.

Beyond that the idea that Apples HARDWARE is universally better than everybody else's is bogus. Apple takes good hardware and makes it wonderful via the OS.
    And the only reason i can think of for apple to have yield problem on the retina screens is if they went to a cutting edge tech, like IGZO.

Even then, that is IGZO comes tomorrow, Apple would not launch unless they had their ducks in a row. Every using I've seen over the last year indicates a steady drive at Apple to make IGZO happen at Apple. --- Interesting iPad is capitalizing IGZO for me ---

I see the first iPad Mini as a proof of concept, they will now throw their weight behind a full up machine due to confidence sales inspire.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    sky king wrote: »

I will buy an iPad Mini when the new ones come out.  If I almost never use it for videos or reading books would it really be a serious advantage for me to have a Retina display?
    YES!

I went from an original iPad to an ipad3 and the jump in resolution was very noticeable. The enhanced resolution impacts every iPad app you use on the platform. Web browsing is just one example of where retina is leveraged.
     When I look at that MacBooks and iPads to compare Retina vs. Non-Retina I don't seem to notice a big difference.

Any opinions?

I'm not sure what you are comparing here but the differences are dramatic. Maybe you need to put glasses on. I'm not trying to be an ass here as I'm well past 50, but even with out my glasses there is a very noticeable improvement in screen quality.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    sky king wrote: »

I will buy an iPad Mini when the new ones come out.  If I almost never use it for videos or reading books would it really be a serious advantage for me to have a Retina display?  When I look at that MacBooks and iPads to compare Retina vs. Non-Retina I don't seem to notice a big difference.

Any opinions?

IMO iOS 7 requires retina display.
  • Reply 52 of 56
    You need to take a deep breath and relax.

I know. Sigh. But it annoys me when people say the mini won't have retina, doesn't need it and is still the best tablet without it. Because that's bunk. And they obviously haven't used a mini running iOS 7.
  • Reply 53 of 56

Thanks for the opinion Wiz.  I also wear glasses and perhaps that is a good reason to get the clearest picture possible.

• Reply 54 of 56
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    rogifan wrote: »
    IMO iOS 7 requires retina display.

That is the best argument I've read regarding the iPad Mini going Retina tomorrow.
  • Reply 55 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I know. Sigh. But it annoys me when people say the mini won't have retina, doesn't need it and is still the best tablet without it. Because that's bunk. And they obviously haven't used a mini running iOS 7.

Hell, I don't even think the Mini needs retina... but I won't buy one until it has it.  :p