Websites activating Safari push notifications ahead of OS X Mavericks rollout

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I've read it as on by default. Dunno.

http://www.cultofmac.com/234967/keep-notifications-off-the-lock-screen-in-mavericks-beta-os-x-tips/

How is that even relevant to the topic?

• Reply 22 of 35
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I think the service is on by default, but you have to approve every website.  A bit like how location services is on by default on your iPhone, but each app has to request its own permission to use them.  And you can turn off location services globally if you want, just like you'll be able to turn off Safari notifications.

Sorry, misreading your post.

• Reply 23 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

That option is being turned straight off. Last thing I want is my desktop being spammed with offers and reminders from websites.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squuiid View Post

Push notification SPAM. Awesome.

It's like going back to the late nineties with browser pop ups and pop unders.

Great idea Apple.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

great. more spam/ads. can't wait to have to disable notifications on every website i visit or have already bookmarked.

To those above, and all others claiming "SPAM, great" etc.

1) You have to have Notification Center turned on on you Mac.

2) You have to visit a website and Allow push notifications to be sent to you.

3) You have control, more control, than is out there today

4) Step off the ledge until you see it implemented.

Also, it will be the same CNN, NYT, etc alerts you get on your iPhone if you choose to with those iPhone apps.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

Is this limited to websites or would I receive all iOS app notifications as well?

This is just websites. You will not be able to get all your iOS notifications on your Mac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I think the service is on by default, but you have to approve every website.  A bit like how location services is on by default on your iPhone, but each app has to request its own permission to use them.  And you can turn off location services globally if you want, just like you'll be able to turn off Safari notifications.

Bingo.

• Reply 24 of 35

Is there a list of supported sites, anywhere? Assuming CNN is going to take advantage.

• Reply 25 of 35
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

C'mon, yeah we do. Craig Federighi will demo it, and then say "Available... (dramatic pause) Today."

And Ireland adds... "For free."  :p

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

• Reply 26 of 35
    Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

And Ireland adds... "For free."  :p

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

I like the unintentional joke here of both Ireland the user and the country.

• Reply 27 of 35
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Are you warmed up and ready for today?  I expect big things out of you...

• Reply 28 of 35
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Ah, warming up; thanks for reminding me.

*ahem*

… Shut up and go away. Shut UP and go away. Shut up and go… AWAY.

Now for some stretches and I should be good to go.

• Reply 29 of 35
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,594member
    matrix07 wrote: »
    How is that even relevant to the topic?

oOPS!! Wrong link, but right info. It's on by default. . .:embarrass Thanks for the heads-up
  • Reply 30 of 35
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I, for one, hope he is well oiled and ready to go. There are going to be some really, REALLY, stupid comments coming from resident trolls and malcontents who will find fault with every single product that is discussed or released today. They always come slithering out of the woodwork after these events. And we now have the c|net king of the iHater trolls infesting the place. I'm sure we'll hear some lying nonsense out of him.

The Tall one is the only member here who has the coconuts to deal with this slime.

• Reply 31 of 35
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    It'll obviously be turned on as standard and it goes without saying that you'll have to visit the site to get these notifications however, how important will the pop up news be if they don't just update their front page with whatever bit of info it is? It might start off useful but it will become the new pop up. You can't tell me that sites aren't going to start abusing it.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

That option is being turned straight off. Last thing I want is my desktop being spammed with offers and reminders from websites.

I will be doing the same thing, looked like a stupid feature TO ME, just my opinion. 

• Reply 33 of 35
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    starbird73 wrote: »
    This is just websites. You will not be able to get all your iOS notifications on your Mac

Really? I seem to remember some mention of a notification sync feature.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

Thank you

• Reply 35 of 35
    iaeen wrote: »
    Really? I seem to remember some mention of a notification sync feature.

A lot of people, including me, remembered it that way. Maybe some sites reported it that way. But I think they actually say something to the effect of "just like on your iOS device"

Granted, apps like reminders, mail, calendar, messages, plus Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Flickr (which have account tie-ins to the OS) act a lot more like iOS.