First look: Apple's upcoming Mac Pro and new MacBook Pros with Retina display

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They don’t need to come out until December, so December.

Final Cut Pro and Aperture are used by a lot of people who will never own a Mac Pro. If they're not coming out until December it's because they're not ready, not because Apple is holding them back. Who knows, by the time I've posted this they might have appeared on the App Store.

• Reply 42 of 48
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's MacBook Pros are out now with new lower starting prices of $1,299 for the 13-inch model and $1,999 for the 15-inch version. The company did not set a firm date for the Mac Pro's release, but pegged a base price at $2,999.

The new MBPs do have a lower starting price, but I think they achieved it by using a lower clocked CPU. I have the original (2012) high end rMBP and it had a 2.6GHz CPU, but the new one has a 2.3GHz CPU with the 2.6CHz a $200 upgrade. Maybe because of architectural improvements in Haswell they thought 2.3 was equivalent.

• Reply 43 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The computer was also being shown off running Final Cut Pro X on 4K displays made by Sharp, connected to one or more of the Mac Pro's six Thunderbolt 2 ports. 

Did they confirm that the Mac Pro was powering the 4K display at 60Hz? I am trying to find out if the new rMBP can power a 4K display at 60Hz.

It can't through it's HDMI port: "Support for 3840-by-2160 resolution at 30Hz" http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-retina/ so that only leaves the TB2 ports. If the Mac Pro can do it through those maybe the rMBP can too, unless the mobile GPU is a limiting factor. It also says "Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on up to two external displays" but I'm not sure whether that's meant to be read as an overall display area upper limit or a per screen limit also.

• Reply 44 of 48
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member

If you select more cores, the speed of each declines:

* 4 cores at 3.7 GHz  or

* 6 cores at 3.5 GHz  or

* 8 cores at 3.0 GHz  or

* 12 cores at 2.7 GHz  

So to get 12 cores, you would REALLY need an environment where you are intensively using parallel processing ALL the time.  Otherwise, the 12 core machine may actually be significantly slower than a 4 core.

I currently have a Mac Pro with 8 cores running at 2.8GHz  ... and I suspect the optimal speed machine for my usage is either the 4 core at 3.7 GHz or the 6 core at 3.5 GHz.

• Reply 45 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wozwoz View Post

If you select more cores, the speed of each declines:

* 4 cores at 3.7 GHz  or

* 6 cores at 3.5 GHz  or

* 8 cores at 3.0 GHz  or

* 12 cores at 2.7 GHz  

That's only if they're all going at once. If you have a 12 core CPU but are only using 4 of them, it shuts the other 8 off and increases the clock speed of the 4 left on.

• Reply 46 of 48
    h88hh88h Posts: 1member
    wonderful!!! Acording to the first picture MacPro itself can work as fully wireless including power suply !!!
  • Reply 47 of 48
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

That is a great feature now for the new Mac Pro to have.

• Reply 48 of 48
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Final Cut Pro and Aperture are used by a lot of people who will never own a Mac Pro. If theyre not coming out until December its because theyre not ready...

… Why do people who cannot possibly have a Mac Pro need Mac Pro-specific optimizations?

Aperture was updated today, but it’s not the one we’re talking about.