Apple offers developers free copies of OS X Server for Mavericks in bid to keep apps fresh

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In emails sent to iOS developers on Thursday, Apple announced that it is giving away free copies of OS X Server for OS X 10.9 Mavericks in a promotion for Xcode bots, which automate some of the app building process.

Bots

As seen above, Apple's email, provided by AppleInsider reader Gregg Mojica, touts Server's integration with developer tool Xcode, which was updated to version 5.0.1 on Tuesday.

Apple urges devs to take advantage of "continuous integration" in Xcode by creating and using bots, or tools that automate certain processes in the app making workflow. Currently, bots have the ability to test apps on iOS devices and generate regular builds for quality assurance testing, among other actions.

Because bots work remotely, developers can monitor the work and test reports on their development machine running Xcode.

OS X Server 3.0 was released alongside Mavericks on Tuesday, bringing a host of new features specific to Apple's new operating system. Features include OS X Server file sharing for Mac, PC and iPad, integration and implementation of Xcode Server, Web service tools, profile management and remote access to VPNs.

With Mavericks now available as a free upgrade, OS X server now carries a cost of $19.99. As usual, Xcode 5.0.1 is also free to download.

Apple notes that developers can obtain a redemption code from the iOS Dev Center for OS X Server for Mavericks, which can then be applied to a download from the Mac App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Awesome.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Gregg Mojica, expect your developer's license to be pulled.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    Damn! I just purchased this today... but alas, Apple being ever so good... they are refunding me.

I have to add... I have been talking to corporate a lot this week... what a great company. From the outside... you really couldn't ask for better dealings!
  • Reply 4 of 10
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I bought ML Server a year ago. I thought it was supposed to be updated to Mavericks but it is not. Seems like you have to buy it again if you upgrade to Mavericks. Lots of one star review in the Mac App Store.
  • Reply 5 of 10

This is amaze-balls!!!

Everyone on your developer team is eligible to get their own redemption code for OS X Server!

• Reply 6 of 10
    nasserae wrote: »
    I bought ML Server a year ago. I thought it was supposed to be updated to Mavericks but it is not. Seems like you have to buy it again if you upgrade to Mavericks. Lots of one star review in the Mac App Store.

People are whining over $20? Good lord.
  • Reply 7 of 10

People are whining over $20? Good lord.

Agreed. It barely buys a movie and a popcorn these days.
  • Reply 8 of 10

Awesome. My redeem code showed up on my iOS developer account. Excellent.

Loving Apple more and more for the seemingly never ending stream of free stuff!

• Reply 9 of 10
    Ignore the 1-star reviews at the App Store. Most of them are whining that the VPN doesn't work or that they have to pay for the upgrade.

There were significant changes to the VPN systems to make them more secure. As a result, less secure implementations don't work. Anyone rolling a server product into production without testing it first is an amateur.

Anyone crying over a $20 upgrade should really find a different profession.

I've flawlessly upgraded two Mac OS X Servers running on two different model Mac Minis already. One was from 10.7 to 10.9 and the other 10.8 to 10.9.
  • Reply 10 of 10

Remember when OS X Server was $999 for the unlimited user copy? Ah, Tiger…