Apple Stores begin stocking space gray first-gen iPad mini

Posted:
in iPad edited April 2014
Following an announcement that it would be replacing the black and slate first-generation iPad mini with a space gray version, Apple on Thursday began stocking the device at select brick-and-mortar stores.

iPad mini

Alongside Apple's unveiling of the iPad mini with Retina display, the company announced that it would be replacing the black and slate first-gen unit with a space gray version. It appears that these devices are now trickling out to Apple Stores in the U.S., though on a limited basis.

AppleInsider was able to confirm that some larger stores had the devices in stock earlier in the day, but quickly sold out of the initial batch.

Apple first introduced space gray as a replacement for the outgoing "black and slate" color option when the iPhone 5s debuted in September. The lighter gun metal-esque finish has replaced black for almost all iOS products, save for the iPod classic.

Along with the new hue, Apple dropped the original iPad mini's price tag to $299, as the device is now the company's entry-level 7.9-inch tablet. Like the iPad 2, the first-gen mini is being offered in two variations, 16GB with Wi-Fi and 16GB with Wi-Fi + Cellular.

As seen above, the Apple Online Store is showing in-stock status of the space gray non-Retina mini, and the tablet should be shipping out to resellers in the near future. AppleInsider will have a full list of availability in the Price Guide as the new color option hits store shelves.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    I am a happy owner of a pristine 32gb slate black iPad mini collector's item- with matching slate black Logitech keyboard. 8-)
  • Reply 2 of 12
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

The spacey gray is beautiful as an iPad.

• Reply 3 of 12

its better to buy ipad mini than the previous ones

• Reply 4 of 12

OFF TOPIC

Elops goal has been achieved finally.See this picture how Nokia sales has come down in previous years ::http://bit.do/NOKIASALES-ELOP

• Reply 5 of 12
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maruthihey View Post

its better to buy ipad mini than the previous ones

No, I'd say that it's worse to buy.

It's the same iPad Mini, so why is this one better? 

It's better to have bought it last year when it first came out, like I did.

Since the Retina iPad Mini now exists, which is also way more powerful than the first gen iPad Mini, I'd say that that iPad Mini Retina is the smart choice, for only $100 more, if somebody is looking for a Mini tablet. 

• Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

No, I'd say that it's worse to buy.

It's the same iPad Mini, so why is this one better? 

It's better to have bought it last year when it first came out, like I did.

Since the Retina iPad Mini now exists, which is also way more powerful than the first gen iPad Mini, I'd say that that iPad Mini Retina is the smart choice, for only $100 more, if somebody is looking for a Mini tablet. 

For some, $100 is a big deal. For many, the increased power of A7 is not a big deal. Yes, for most, Retina Display is a noticeable improvement but not a true necessity. So, with the $299 price tag, Apple is inviting those with tight budgets to join their ecosystem.

The fact that they couldn't drop the price more than $30 suggests that the margins were not generous. No surprise, there are many components in a tablet that cost the same regardless of screen size.

• Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

I am a happy owner of a pristine 32gb slate black iPad mini collector's item- with matching slate black Logitech keyboard. image

Collector's item? You wish (as do I).

• Reply 8 of 12
    deleted

• Reply 9 of 12
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member

Any thoughts on how scratch resistant the new space gray will be compared to the previous silver?  I bought an iPad 3 the day it was released and never used a case.  It still looks brand new.  I'm hoping the new space gray will be as tough if not tougher.

• Reply 10 of 12
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

The phrase "brick and mortar" in connection with Apple stores never sounds quite right. Can we say "steel and glass"?

• Reply 11 of 12
    2oh1 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on how scratch resistant the new space gray will be compared to the previous silver?
    I believe Apple now mixes dye in the aluminum for the space-gray model so that dings no longer change color and show. That's what I'm told and why I felt comfortable buying the 5s in space-gray rather than silver.

Everyone buying the gold iPhone to be different is mistaken. Space-gray is really the best new color... I find it absolutely beautiful.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    sweetmisweetmi Posts: 1member
    Does it come with the Garage band, pages, numbers keynote, photo booth free?