Apple reports earnings of $7.5B on sales of 33.8M iPhones, 14.1M iPads & 4.6M Macs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoreAndExplore View Post

Is lying fun?  They increased revenues from $36 billion to $37.5 billion, an increase of 4%.  What are you talking about?  

Sorry. I meant net profit. Should have been pretty easy to figure out what I meant considering it was in the title and first line of the article. And you've proven my point even more. Their revenue is up and net profit has decreased. Raise the red flags internally Apple.

• Reply 22 of 100
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CoreAndExplore View Post

Is lying fun?  They increased revenues from $36 billion to $37.5 billion, an increase of 4%.  What are you talking about?  

Think he meant Net Revs...

• Reply 23 of 100
    The press wants Apple to sell their tablets for less money like android/Amazon, stop outsourcing, sell phones to the low-end of the market, pay more taxes, and increase profit margin. What happened to simple arithmetic?
  • Reply 24 of 100
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    nexusphan wrote: »
     Margin is not gonna be an easy fix for Apple. They already have some of the highest selling prices and lowest per unit cost in the industry. Already at some serious volumes and have already flexed some muscle over their suppliers. I'm sure some much smarter than I people over at Apple are all over this. I don't think Apple is as stubborn as they appear to be to the public.
    Perhaps Wall Street needs to reset their margins expectations. It seems like they're still expecting margins like Apple had in that one blockbuster quarter where all the stars aligned. Seems to me that was an outlier more than the norm.
  • Reply 25 of 100
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post

Yes because AAPL is a mature company and revs don't mean as much anymore and important is on margin and how much profit they can generate. AMZN on the other hand, is all about increasing revs right now. Over the next few years, AMZN is the much better investment stock market wise.

Fans of the company need to disconnect the stock price from the business. Apple is firing on all cylinders, making and selling tons of great products, satisfying its millions of customers, innovating, moving forward. It exceeds in every metric there is to look at. That the stock price is stuck in a range says more about investors than the company. In the Wall Street crap game that is the stock market it’s all about quick profits, pump and dump, scorched earth policy and dismembered carcasses laying in a pile. As Apple fans we don’t want Apple doing what Wall Street wants, or what Carl Icahn wants. That would be bad for Apple and its customers.

Let the trolls crow about market share, stock prices, and all the crap they think makes Apple look bad. We already know they can spin anything into doom and gloom. They’re already doing it over at c|net and here.

• Reply 26 of 100
    Sorry. I meant net profit. Should have been pretty easy to figure out what I meant considering it was in the title and first line of the article. And you've proven my point even more. Their revenue is up and net profit has decreased. Raise the red flags internally Apple.

And yet Wall Street wants Apple to sell even cheaper iPhones and iPads. So they want cheaper products but increased profits and margins. How does that math work?
  • Reply 27 of 100
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Perhaps Wall Street needs to reset their margins expectations. It seems like they're still expecting margins like Apple had in that one blockbuster quarter where all the stars aligned. Seems to me that was an outlier more than the norm.

Very true. That's why their stock value was realigned. As long as the decreasing profit doesn't continue, I wouldn't be worried. I'll have to take a deeper look at their financial statements when I get my hands on them. A lot of factors to consider here.

• Reply 28 of 100
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

Very true. That's why their stock value was realigned. As long as the decreasing profit doesn't continue, I wouldn't be worried. I'll have to take a deeper look at their financial statements when I get my hands on them. A lot of factors to consider here.

Also, no one can take into account potential margin increases (or decreases) in the "future" products that Tim keeps talking about (and doing so on the conference call now)

• Reply 29 of 100
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    rogifan wrote: »
    So Apple beats estimates and yet they're down over 2% after hours supposedly because of lower margins. Yet I keep reading articles about how Apple needs cheaper iPhones and iPads. How exactly would that increase margins?

You can have good margins on cheaper products. Go to the grocery store and look at the price of razor blades, lot and lots of margin in each package sold there.

The idea behind a cheaper product is to secure a larger share of the market.
  • Reply 30 of 100
    Quote:

I'm sorry that you think it's necessary for others to have to intuit what you must mean in your incorrectly-worded posts.  You also said revenue is going down TWICE in the same post. 

Besides, gross margins have been projected to decline to and then stabilize in the mid-30% range by wallstreet for some time now.  If this is news to you then I'm not surprised that you confused revenues with profit.

• Reply 31 of 100
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member

Excellent numbers, a new record for Apple for the Sept quarter, which obviously means that the stock will tank. 

• Reply 32 of 100
    I still think the stock is undervalued. But I'm in it for the long game and I think Apple will have the last laugh,
  • Reply 33 of 100
    Stocks are down because end December guidance is lower than expected. Not because of YoY profits.
  • Reply 34 of 100
    lkrupp wrote: »
    So AAPL disappoints once again? Are they still doomed? Inquiring pundits want to know.

The usual reasons:
    1. Four inch screen is too small.
    2. Innovation died with Steve.
    4. Steve Jobs just took credit for others' innovations (contradicts #2)
    5. OLED is the future of display tech.
    6. No built-in DVD drive
    7. Apple doesn't care about hardware enthusiat Pro users.
    8. Obsession with thinness
    9. I've been an Apple user since 1978, but (insert random criticism)
    10. No internal expansion
  • Reply 35 of 100
    FIRE TIM COOK!!! Apple is truly doomed and Apple shareholders are cursed. I don't want to hear another word about how great a company Apple is or how many iPhones are being sold. I knew this would happen because Google and Amazon are sucking the life out of Apple and Tim Cook doesn't have a clue. One whole year has gone by since Apple's horrific stock collapse and Apple still can't figure out how to beat earnings while sitting on $150 billion in reserve cash. Appalling. As a long-time shareholder I have to hang my head in shame as the House That Steve Built gets uglier by the quarter. I'm willing to bet the holiday quarter will be no better. Apple keeps trying to make more money with hardware and with Android's huge market share sitting on Apple's face, the company is going nowhere fast. Damn you, Tim Cook.
  • Reply 36 of 100
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So Apple beats estimates and yet they're down over 2% after hours supposedly because of lower margins. Yet I keep reading articles about how Apple needs cheaper iPhones and iPads. How exactly would that increase margins?

They may have beat the estimates but the fact is that **profit** is down. Again. A year-over-year quarter decrease of $700 million is no joke. They need to do something to stop that decreasing **profit**. I'm surprised AAPL is only down 2%.

Edit: Fixed revenue to be profit. My apologies.

That was pretty much baked into all the estimates for a while, and hence prices. Indeed, a glance at the Analyst Estimates section of, say, www.finance.yahoo.com would have shown you that Apple's earnings for the year were expected to be ~10% lower for FY13 compared to FY12.

Basically, Apple came in roughly in line with expectations: marginal beats on most fronts as well as with guidance, with higher iPhone numbers awash with lower iPad numbers. The <2% drop after-hours is not huge. It could be back up to today's levels by the time it opens tomorrow.

I view this earnings announcement as 'largely in holding pattern' relative to expectations.

• Reply 37 of 100
    Oh I'm so surprised. HA HA HA. I tried to tell anyone that would listen. I'll say it again, AAPL will continue to trade sideways (at best), as long as they continue issuing their stupid dividend. I dont' care if they invent an iSpaceship, and sell a gazillion of them. BA HA HA HA.
  • Reply 38 of 100
    Your title is wrong. It's not Apple reports earnings of $7.5 Billion, but reports Net Profits of $7.5 Billion.
  • Reply 39 of 100

Wall Street guidance was less than what Apple produced. The drop I imagine is to take a loss now, rather than to take a bath later in Q1 2014 when Apple continues to crush the competition.

• Reply 40 of 100
    So all the "experts" are wrong and Apple didn't really need a low cost iPhone.