Brand new 15" Macbook Pro Retina - Battery life only 4 hours, not 9 like they claim

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by varnau View Post

Hi Vincent,

I'm not sure the point of your post as you don't offer any alternative solution to the problem, or even an instance of this solution having not worked, which could have been helpful for some users (eg. maybe it depends on what software you've installed etc), but merely your theory on why it shouldn't work.

I'm not an expert, so I'm not going to bother disputing your theory, but what I do know from actual first-hand experience is that this is neither "impossible" nor "wishful thinking" on my part.

Before I changed that one setting--and ONLY that one setting--the battery life on my brand new Macbook was abysmal, and afterwards (and still today nearly one year later) the battery life is as promised by Apple.

No offense intended, but frankly I don't care what settings you prefer to use, activating the power nap worked for me so I thought I'd share the tip in case it might help other users. It seems to have done the trick for the original poster.

Cheers, Julie

ps. If you somehow thought that simply disputing the solution would be helpful to other users, a more polite and less arrogent way to have made your point would have been to say something like, "That's interesting that this seems to have worked, are you sure you didn't make any other settings changes that could have accounted for the improvement because it doesn't make sense to me. My understanding of Power Nap is....."

Vincent's isn't a theory, nor an opinion: he stated the truth about Power Nap...

You gave an advice that potentially could shorten battery life (at least in Stop Mode) and surely can't make it any better.

• Reply 22 of 28
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruzzell View Post

Hi,

3 days ago I purchased the highest end Macbook Pro 15".  The computer is amazing, fast, and light.  However, one of the main reasons I upgraded from my 3 year old Macbook Pro was due to the claim of up to 8 hours of life (using wireless web or itunes).  I am getting a little over half that with just email (Apple Mail program) and Safari open.

I've had my computer diagnosed at the Apple store and it checked out.  I've had a couple of calls with their level 2 tech support and they went over activity monitor items with me and tried a bunch of things, but the battery is still only doing about half of what Apple claims.  How is this possible?

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-retina/      <- see the battery life info. there.

Is anyone else having this issue with the newest model Macbook Pro's?

What do you suggest?

Thanks,

Russ

Hi Russ,

it could be a software or an hardware issue.

Battery life of your MBP should be similar to the advertised. 6 hrs would be fine (that's depend on many factors), but not 4 hrs...

Let us start with the software. The best way to determine if is a software issue is to reset the MacBook Pro at the "brand new" conditions, without any app installed, and use it for a few days for web browsing. If the battery life is good, then you know it is a software issue.

If battery life is poor, than your battery (or something else in the Macbook) is defective.

What if it is the software ? Well, you have to find out what is the bad application, installing (and using ) one at the time...

Did you restore an old backup ?

• Reply 23 of 28
    Originally Posted by MaxIT View Post

There's nothing to help OP....

It’s everything to help him. It tells him how to treat his battery.

• Reply 24 of 28
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

same shit here, I am taking to the store for a battery test - replacement.

• Reply 25 of 28

good topic and have information

• Reply 26 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by puccaso View Post

i have the same issue. i called the mac guys, and i am getting a replacement mac sent me to as we speak

i am wondering if we have the same symptoms..

goto about this mac

goto more info

then system report

then on the left, power. 

my full charge capacity is about 8500

but the mac guy said it should be about 7500.. 

and thus they are sending me a new mac.

i wonder what your full charge capacity is

I understand that your charge capacity doesn't match up with the Mac technician's specifications, but in your case the charge capacity is greater than what the technician said you should have. Therefore replacing your higher capacity battery for the lower spec'd battery? How does this even help? My current 2013 MBP full charge capacity is 8338 and dropping.

• Reply 27 of 28
    This is the reason why i decided on buying Macbook Air. I already hard about the bad battery of Mac Pro Retina.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 28 of 28
    Before I changed that one setting--and ONLY that one setting--the battery life on my brand new Macbook was abysmal, and afterwards (and still today nearly one year later) the battery life is as promised by Apple.