Apple faces class action suit over allegedly defective iMac displays

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30

Actually apple offered to fix my mac for free even after warranty here in India since it never broke down during warranty.

He might be onto something.

• Reply 22 of 30
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Weren't early LG panels used in iPads prone to a light leakage problem?

And their Macbook Pro retina displays (1st gen) had ghosting problems (I know because I own one). They have had a bad reputation ever since the old days when they were called Lucky Goldstar, and corporate culture takes a long time to change, I wish Apple wouldn't use them as a supplier.

• Reply 23 of 30

Want to earn money & help your family without going anywhere.........I make $60h - $92h...how? I'm working online now its ur turn to make money at home...................... Buzz55.?om 

Just open Home tab nd make money

• Reply 24 of 30

Hey, fix the damn screens!

If a companies flagship product has over a certain number of defective screens, they should be replaced - like Apple did recently w/ their Seagate replace drive program

And what if a reportedly defective part breaks right AFTER 3 years?  What would you say, or do? 

• Reply 25 of 30
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techer View Post

And what if a reportedly defective part breaks right AFTER 3 years?  What would you say, or do? 

Warranty expired on a Sunday, user came to me Monday, I called Dell and they said sorry.

• Reply 26 of 30
    Originally Posted by techer View Post

Case by case.

• Reply 27 of 30

More power to Corbin Rasmussen and his class action lawsuit.

Is the ball now in Apple's court, so to speak? 

• Reply 28 of 30
    Sorry, I agree with this guy over this class action lawsuit. Apple clearly knows there is a problem with the displays on the iMacs. I myself have returned a machine because of the LCD panel looking cloudy and "dirty", and Apple's response was to replace my whole machine? The first time I caught it before the warranty was up, but on my current machine I caught it about a month after the warranty ran out.

There's no doubt these parts are defective; I can understand normal wear-and-tear failure like hard drive issues or inverter problems (which that is also seemingly needing to be replaced on my machine as well) not being addressed when out of warranty or during AppleCare, but it shouldn't be necessary for me to spend an additional couple of hundred dollars on a supposedly top-of-the-line model I've already spent close to $2,000 on. The LCD panel, of all things, should work, and not "burn in" or fail as I've seen in barely a year, especially when some of us take more care than others in making sure it isn't used incorrectly.

Sign me up. I'd join this class-action in a heartbeat, in hopes that it turns to a recall at the very least.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aegean View Post

One year warranty is not enough, it should be two years as we pay the premium price for premium product which deserve to have a premium warranty.

Indeed. EU put pressure lately on Apple to extend its warranty to two years, according to European law valid for every company selling products on its territory. The move followed the aggressive Italian policy on the issue, that threatened to completely shut down Apple business in Italy and impose hefty fines. Belgium followed, and according to reports other European countries also. About time.

• Reply 30 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flipkal View Post

I can't understand why people pile on Apple whenever their product goes bad out of warranty. Apple has surprised the hell out of me with two incidents that happened during the past few years:

1) In 2011, Apple notified me by mail that our iPod Nano, purchased in 2006 had battery issues. They asked me to send it back and they would 'rectify the situation'. We hardly used that iPod anymore, so I sent it back. A few weeks later, we received a brand new Nano, their latest model to replace our old one. 

2) Last year, I received a note from Apple in the mail that my iMac model was experiencing hard drive failures. If I took the Mac to an authorized service, they would replace the drive with a brand new one at no cost. 

This is the Apple that I know, that I invest in, and that I admire. They really care about their customers. Buy Applecare, play by the rules, and all should be fine.

I don't know that it's any more about piling on than it's about people being apologists for Apple, whether there is a real issue to be looked at or not. It most definitely is worth looking at, right? While I have been an Apple customer and "fan" since the mid 1980's, I also realize that it is a for-profit company, not so different from any other for-profit company. And its interests and my interests (as a consumer) might not always be the same. As an AAPL shareholder, I want them to maximize profits and minimize losses and expenses. With my employer, that is one of my primary duties. So I understand and accept that. Because they make a mint selling RAM, I understand why they keep their RAM sealed away and make it virtually impossible to boost the memory on many/most products these days. Hey, if I had that half-human vampire, Carl Icahn, wanting to "have dinner" with me every other week, I'd probably make the computers run on some oddball voltage and make you buy a $500 converter that only we sold. Need to charge your $100 iPod Nano? Sure. But the converter is still $500. Anything to make enough money to get Creepy Cousin Carl off my back! But jokes aside, if and when Apple becomes aware of systemically defective components, I do think the company could do a MUCH better job of communicating that to its customers.

While you apparently got a note from Apple concerning your iMac's hard drive, I got no such note about my defective AMD Radeon HD 6970M graphics card. I happened across the information on my Google News Apple feed. Luckily, by the time the main display started acting up (and finally died altogether), I knew what was happening and I was able to still use the Thunderbolt display to save a project I had not yet completed. I got the computer to an authorized service center, which informed me that one reason I probably had to find out on my own was Apple tends not to call its recalls "recalls" for legal and PR reasons. It's more like, "uh oh... so you found the problem that we knew we had - well, don't worry, we'll take care of that for you at no charge." That is not cool at all. But look, I feel that I'm a reasonable person. I don't look for and I don't need a free lunch. And having worked in various areas of manufacturing related Fortune 500 companies for 20 years or so, I know that no manufacturing process is or can be completely defect free. And I feel that of the consumer related companies that I have bought products from, Apple really is one of the best when it comes to customer service. The people I spoke with at Apple were nothing but helpful and polite. And I appreciated that. But I would not be so pleased if I hadn't come across this AMD graphics card problem beforehand and I'd been caught by surprise.

BTW, while repairing my computer's dud AMD graphics card, they found that my hard drive was also in the process of dying a slow death. Either under the AppleCare warranty that I bought or under some other unknown "replacement" program, they replaced that for free too. The computer runs like new again. And that's great. But I better not find out that on top of every other problem this computer has experienced, I NOW have a display problem that Apple or LG knew they had, but someone, somewhere thought it better to speak no evil, see no evil, hear no evil. I bought my 27 inch iMac about the same time as this Rasmussen fellow. I'll be covered by AppleCare for another year or so. So I'll have gotten good use out of this thing as long as it lasts at least that long. But I will follow this lawsuit just to see what the courts find out. I would be genuinely saddened to learn that Apple's rep for "it just works" is built on the early days, when I first walked in an Apple reseller's doors to buy my first Mac Plus, but now no longer means much. I hope that's not the case and doesn't ever come to pass - just in the name of turning a buck.