Benchmarks for Apple's iPad Air show 90% performance boost, tweaked A7 clock speed

Comments

• Reply 22 of 46
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pezza99 View Post

The Ipad3 and Ipad2 had basically the same processor, The Ipad 3 had a better GPU which was almost completely spent keeping up with the new Retina display.

In my opinion, the Ipad3 was not a balanced device. The Ipad 4 pretty much fixed all the failings of the Ipad3 and was a great product. The 'Air' sounds fantastic.

I am hoping to see apps coming out that really use that power.

Exactly what I just said.  ;)

• Reply 23 of 46
    For me the main bottleneck on speed is Wi-Fi. Does the Air have the latest Wi-Fi chip?
  • Reply 24 of 46
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

For me the main bottleneck on speed is Wi-Fi. Does the Air have the latest Wi-Fi chip?

Define ‘latest’. No, it doesn’t have .11ac, but it has MIMO.

• Reply 25 of 46
    Define ‘latest’. No, it doesn’t have .11ac, but it has MIMO.
    Since current AirPort Extreme has .11ac it would be nice if iPad Air did too. I currently have iPad "3"— what Wi-Fi version does it support? MIMO too?
  • Reply 26 of 46
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Since current AirPort Extreme has .11ac it would be nice if iPad Air did too. I currently have iPad "3"— what Wi-Fi version does it support? MIMO too?

No, but it was n.

• Reply 27 of 46
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smalltalk-80 View Post

This benchmark is very close to some of the current Macs using the same test.

Is an ARM transition eminent? Remember how much of a surprise the Intel transition was? It doesn't make sense to tell people about it until the very last moment.

Now would be a good time since windows is weaker than ever with win 8.

Price is really what is holding the Mac back from the masses. I don't think PC compatibility is as big a boon as it once was.

Maybe win RT compatibility? ;-D

An Intel processor is still much quicker than any of the latest ARM offerings. It will still be some time before Apple or any other company makes a full transition to an all ARM lineup. As you can see by the Mac Mini, it has a score of 11,700, quite the difference when compared to the iPad 2013.

• Reply 28 of 46
    egold wrote: »
    Does multi-core matter to me ? I'll guess the most cpu intensive activity our G2 iPad is asked to perform is simple photo editing. That has never been so slow to cause complaint, and likewise for internet browsing, video streaming, iOS interaction, and all the apps we use. 

I suppose I am asking who will notice and appreciate this speed bump. I would probably be happier with a *slower* cpu and more battery time. Now that I run 12 hours on a charge, I want 24 ;) 

Graphic intensity games will be the first to enjoy this higher speed, but as developers begin to write apps that take advantage of the higher computation capacity there could be a whole new level of apps that neither you nor I can imagine... perhaps artificial intelligence. Lord knows, the U.S. congress members could use an intelligence boost.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    sog35 wrote: »
    Damn. 5x faster than the iPad3.

So I guess we can expect the iPadMini Retina to be slightly slower than the Air because of clock speed?

Maybe not. The iPad Mini has 1/4th pixels to push around as its big brother.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Maybe not. The iPad Mini has 1/4th pixels to push around as its big brother.

Er… what?

• Reply 31 of 46
    dombi wrote: »
    I am curious to see how the iPad mini retina will perform.
    Hopefully it will be about the same as the iPad Air.
    Almost garanteed unless apple sneaked something in there for speed.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    mbsmdmbsmd Posts: 34member
    I'm not sure it would matter if the iPad had 802.11ac wifi. I suspect an ARM-based device isn't fast enough to make use of the bandwidth provided by an 802.11ac connection. Maybe by the time of the iPad 6 or 7... But for now, I'm sure a MIMO-n connection is plenty sufficient to saturate an iPad's capability.

And do we even know if anyone produces an 802.11ac chip yet that's power-efficient enough to be put in a tablet without killing the battery life? And "Samsung does it" is not a sufficient answer; they do plenty of things that aren't power-efficient but instead so they can check off feature boxes (and this from someone who owns Samsung products).
  • Reply 33 of 46
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    mbsmd wrote: »
    I'm not sure it would matter if the iPad had 802.11ac wifi. I suspect an ARM-based device isn't fast enough to make use of the bandwidth provided by an 802.11ac connection. Maybe by the time of the iPad 6 or 7... But for now, I'm sure a MIMO-n connection is plenty sufficient to saturate an iPad's capability.

And do we even know if anyone produces an 802.11ac chip yet that's power-efficient enough to be put in a tablet without killing the battery life? And "Samsung does it" is not a sufficient answer; they do plenty of things that aren't power-efficient but instead so they can check off feature boxes (and this from someone who owns Samsung products).

I'm guessing it is because there isn't a decent chip to use. If you look at AnandTech's results you see that Apple's 802.11n is much faster than some devices that tout 802.11ac. That doesn't even take into account how much additional power is used when 802.11ac is active, which Apple will likely include as the default WiFi for battery tests when they do add it.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    allenbf wrote: »
    I'm coming from an iPad 3, planned on the iPad mini w/ retina but now leaning toward the Air. I can't wait. 5x the speed of my iPad 3 sounds great - iOS 7 has not treated my iPad 3 very well!

Ditto here.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    I feel like Apple misled me then when I bought my iPad 3
  • Reply 36 of 46
    I have a second generation iPad and still do not notice any speed issues browsing, playing games or even updating. I know my display has 1/4 of the pixels to push so I guess that counts for some of the quickness. I also would like to see crazy battery life over crazy speed.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    pazuzu wrote: »

Yes, I can see you feeling yourself misled, easily misled. Or saying so in a public forum in order to whine about Apple, careless of what we might think of you. Poor sad 30-pin pazuzu.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

In what capacity?! Maybe you should sue.

• Reply 39 of 46
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Yes, how dare Apple come out with a better, improved iPad two years after you bought your iPad3.

Just between you and me, I hear Apple is coming out with an iPad7 and will make the new iPad look like lead weights, and the iPad7 will be 1/12th the horsepower of the iPad 13 coming out in five years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

In what capacity?! Maybe you should sue.

Yeah, he should retain the services of Whiner & Troll Attorneys at Law.

• Reply 40 of 46
    Although I'm really tempted to get a new iPad Air, with the weight and form factor the biggest reasons why I want one, the battery life is what is pushing me to a new MacBook Air instead. To get 12 hours on an mba where I can not only be consuming info, but more easily generating it, seems like a no-brainer to me right now. I get it's a completely different thing, but given I have an ipad 4 and a 2011 13" mba (that only sees 4-5 hours of battery life), the mba looks to be the thing that gets replaced first.