Ad for Apple's redesigned Remote iOS app appears briefly on iTunes Store

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A banner advertisement has been spotted on Apple's Colombian iTunes Store showing what appears to be a redesigned icon for Apple's Remote iOS app, hinting that the popular title may soon see an iOS 7-style refresh.

Remote
Apple's Remote ad as seen in the Colombian iTunes Store. | Source: MacRumors

The ad tile has been showing up "occasionally" in the OS X iTunes Store for Colombia, reports MacRumors, suggesting Apple is planning to release a redesigned version of the app. Apple recently revamped a majority of its first-party iOS apps to fit in with the new design aesthetic seen in iOS 7.

While not hard evidence of a Remote refresh, the ad's icon matches a graphical asset displayed in the latest version of iTunes when linking a new remote control device.

Apple's Remote has been well-received since its launch in 2008. The latest version of the app was last updated in 2012, when Up Next was introduced as an easier way to manage playlists on a host computer. That iteration also brought a few design tweaks, but the next-generation Remote will likely be overhauled to match iOS 7's clean new look.

Remote can currently be downloaded for free from the iOS App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Ooh whee!
  • Reply 2 of 17

Has that app been well-received? That's news to me. The fact that I prefer the "gumstick" remote over it says a lot about what I think of it and I use my Apple TV everyday. I really hope they're working on a massive UI and remote control overhaul.

• Reply 3 of 17
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member

Hopefully bringing back an iTunes DJ-like party voting/upvoting system for Up Next, which was one of the most fun and under promoted features of iTunes <11.

• Reply 4 of 17
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Do Apple do this deliberately, or do they just have really bad release management? These little peek-a-boos seem to happen a lot. Weird.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    carthusia wrote: »
    Has that app been well-received? That's news to me. The fact that I prefer the "gumstick" remote over it says a lot about what I think of it and I use my Apple TV everyday. I really hope they're working on a massive UI and remote control overhaul.

it's been incredibly well received in this household. we all have ios devices and all use them to control itunes on three different computers broadcasting to two airport express devices. and the fact that we do that says a lot about what we think of it and we use it every day. just sayin'. ymmv.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

it's been incredibly well received in this household. we all have ios devices and all use them to control itunes on three different computers broadcasting to two airport express devices. and the fact that we do that says a lot about what we think of it and we use it every day. just sayin'. ymmv.

Good to know. My problem is that there is way too much lag in the Remote app. The physical remote is much more responsive. I use my iOS device too, just not via the Remote app. I just hit the Airplay icon instead of firing up the Remote app to initiate Airplay from within the apps on my Mac and iOS devices to stream music, video, and the web, and to control iTunes radio. I use the "gumstick" remote for Apple TV apps.

• Reply 7 of 17

Might be nice if Apple bought the i.TV app and integrated that functionality into this Remote app.

• Reply 8 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    There is also a discussion thread on Apple’s forums about an issue I myself am experiencing on my iPad 2. After updating to iOS 7 the Remote app no longer rotates to landscape view. It stays in portrait view no matter how you turn the iPad. An article over at MacWorld pointed this out as well and asked when an update would be released to fix the glitch. Perhaps something is on the way after all.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

Good to know. My problem is that there is way too much lag in the Remote app.

I think your problem may be in your network rather than the app. I run the app on my iPad and it is very responsive. In combination with an app supplied by Yamaha to control their RX-V673 AVR I use both to completely control my AV setup.

• Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

I think your problem may be in your network rather than the app. I run the app on my iPad and it is very responsive. In combination with an app supplied by Yamaha to control their RX-V673 AVR I use both to completely control my AV setup.

Uhhh...maybe I'll give it another try once I replace the dying Airport Express I picked up in 2006 :err:

• Reply 11 of 17
    I like the app mainly because it doesn't require the Apple TV to be in the line of sight of the ios device. Thanks to my wife, my Apple TV is usually hidden behind a frame or some other decoration.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    It needs an update to bring back landscape and the keyboard. I think they should have more functionality on the iPad.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Originally Posted by WisdomSeed View Post

It needs an update to bring back landscape and the keyboard.

Wait, what?

• Reply 14 of 17
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    "Clean" new look? Ugly unfinished look, you mean.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">It needs an update to bring back landscape and the keyboard.</span>

Wait, what?

The Remote.ipa 3.0.1 stays in portrait mode after updating to iOS7

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23442842#23442842
    http://www.whathifi.com/forum/apple-ipad/no-landscape-mode-on-remote-app-ios7
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

The Remote.ipa 3.0.1 stays in portrait mode after updating to iOS7

Well, that’s horrible. Glad it’s being fixed.

• Reply 17 of 17
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    On iOS it would be great to if tapping and holding on a song would let you perform actions, like adding the song it to an "up next" playlist or queueing it to play immediately after the current song (before reverting back to the existing playlist). With bluetooth speakers there are loads of times when a song or artist will come up in conversation at a party and it would be good to play it shortly thereafter without interrupting the flow of the music. I much prefer to read the feel of the room and queue songs up as I go rather than have something completely pre-canned. But it is really fiddly trying to add songs to an existing playlist on the go.