After mixup, T-Mobile promises everyone gets 200MB of free iPad data

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    I wonder if they'll expand this to smartphones like the iPhone on prepay plans? A cross-country move meant shifting my 3gs to AT&T to get better coverage in a small university town. I'd be willing to live with that one less bar if going back meant a sip of free data each month. I'm not always in range of WiFi.
  • Reply 22 of 30

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I smash through 3 GB per month easily.

You'd need to pay for a data plan then, but there are plenty of people who don't use much, at all. Either because they're covered by Wi-Fi almost all the time or because only use cellular to check e-mail and visit some websites. If you save Netflix, YouTube, and downloads (apps, music, etc) for Wi-Fi you save a lot.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by akqies View Post

That sucks. I was actually considering trading in my iPad 3 to Apple today to get an iPad Air on T-Mobile but if I also need to have a cellular phone plan with them it's just not going to happen.

There seems to be lots of confusion right now, on the website, among retail stores, and news sites but many have reported activating their iPad Air on the 200 meg plan w/o any existing service and without having to put in a credit card, otherwise.

• Reply 23 of 30
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I smash through 3 GB per month easily.
    Well done, you'll want a plan then. The free option is for light users.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    31 flavas wrote: »
    There seems to be lots of confusion right now, on the website, among retail stores, and news sites but many have reported activating their iPad Air on the 200 meg plan w/o any existing service and without having to put in a credit card, otherwise.

I have some time for them to work out the specifics since I'm more interested in the Retina iPad Mini.
  • Reply 25 of 30

Went to T-Mobile retail store in Old Town Pasadena, CA this afternoon. The accounting system still won't allow me the free 200MB. The staff went out of their way and called someone in the HQ who refused to give the free data.  I hope I will eventually get the $10 credit as publicly promised by their CEO.  Yes, there is a $10 fee for sim card, (and $75 stocking fee, if I return the iPad). 

• Reply 26 of 30
    cchhrr wrote: »
    (and $75 stocking fee, if I return the iPad). 

One reason I try to buy at Apple Store is there are no restocking fees.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    200MB, so about 5 seconds of 4G, T-Mobile says come on in to our overage trap.

Here in Australia Vodafone charges $20 for 2.5GB.

The US used to be ahead of us in this regard.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    hill60 wrote: »
    200MB, so about 5 seconds of 4G.

That is a very disingenuous way to look at cellular usage, as well as grossly inaccurate*. I'm responding to this message on my LTE enabled iPhone which will take about 2 minutes to load, read all the new replies, choose to comment on your post, load the comment for your post, write the reply and post it, but I'm not being charged 4.8GB for that 2 minutes.

* 200MB over 5 seconds equates to about 320Mb/s?
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

200MB, so about 5 seconds of 4G, T-Mobile says come on in to our overage trap.

Here in Australia Vodafone charges $20 for 2.5GB.

The US used to be ahead of us in this regard.

This isn't an attack, btw. But, just so you know you put your foot in your mouth with comment. It's not that bad, though. You are just ignorant of T-mobile USA's differentiation. They throttle instead of charge an overage fee. Overage fees are an AT&T and Verizon's thing.

• Reply 30 of 30
    larryinfl wrote: »
    Yes, 200 MB every month. You need to be an existing t-mobile customer with a data plan on your mobile phone plan.

Hmm I guess I should've done research before canceling the AT&T air for a tmobile.

I think some people are missing a great thing about this.

FIND MY IPHONE/iPAD WILL ALWAYS BE AVAILABLE NOW

I have a iPad 2 with cellular but never spring for a 30$ plan as I am usually near a wifi. Unfortunately you had to buy a data package to track it if lost or stolen.

Still couldn't justify the cost versus usage. I was gong to go without the cellular option this round ...

But now with this, I can always have the option for light email and find my iPhone options on the road.

This is awesome.