Apple vice president of iOS engineering Henri Lamiraux retires

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

So it's just coincidence that right after the release date it's announced?

Yes. First, because “two months” isn’t “right after”. Second, because you have made the assertion. You get to prove it. Prove he was fired (you can’t; he retired). Prove it was over iOS 7. 

Pretending it's a coincidence doesn't make him or Apple look better.

Pretending it’s a correlation doesn’t make you look good at all.

• Reply 22 of 31
    websnapwebsnap Posts: 224member
    Quote:

Maybe he liked Scott Forstall. iOS 7 is more than an update, it was a shake up of the entire department over the past year. It is a reimagining of what a mobile OS should strive towards. People always retire at this sort of time, and it's fine. Pretending it's a coincidence doesn't make him or Apple look better.

Or maybe he rertired when the job was complete. Let the others do updates. He paid his dues, rolled out a finished product that met deadline and is ready to vacation somewhere. 

• Reply 23 of 31
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Nobody is suggesting it's a coincidence.  Henri Lamiraux himself said it wasn't a coincidence.  He stated that even before the release of iOS 7 that he was viewing it as his last project before retirement.

But just because it's not a coincidence does not mean that you can just infer whatever "cause/effect" relationship that you want to.  Perhaps it was as simple as this:  the man has been ready to retire for a while now, but he wanted to see this major update through to completion.  A reasonable enough supposition.  I have done the same at two previous occupations.  When you are a fairly high level professional that is important to an effort, you don't just give your two weeks notice and walk.

Your suggestion requires a lot more speculation, such as the man was disturbed by the ousting of Forstall and/or the subsequent reorganization and redirection.  Or, he thinks that iOS 7 is a disaster, so he bailed because of that.  Or any of the above.  But without actually talking to the man and gaining his confidence, you'll never know.

It's far more reasonable to accept the man at his word:  he was ready to retire but wanted to finish this one last thing.  Over and out.

Thompson

• Reply 24 of 31
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Nice troll btw, you hooked a lot of people, bit lame though
  • Reply 25 of 31
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Why is it that no one seems to leave Apple - whether for any desire of his or her own or on a mortuary slab - without some birds on a line cawing about cock-ups, cabals and conspiracies?

If you read the business pages, you'll see that the same sort of thing happens with high-level departures at lots of big companies. Apple only gets more attention because it's the biggest by market value. 

Also, I can't find his age anywhere, but he doesn't look 60+, so it's natural to wonder why he chose to retire earlier than most people (shed loads of cash, as somebody put it above, no doubt help, but lots of people keep working anyway). 

That said, I doubt there's any conspiracy. He's probably just tired of working all the time, and leaving after he's just shepherded a major OS upgrade to release is a good way to go out.

• Reply 26 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

If you read the business pages, you'll see that the same sort of thing happens with high-level departures at lots of big companies. Apple only gets more attention because it's the biggest by market value. 

Also, I can't find his age anywhere, but he doesn't look 60+, so it's natural to wonder why he chose to retire earlier than most people (shed loads of cash, as somebody put it above, no doubt help, but lots of people keep working anyway). 

That said, I doubt there's any conspiracy. He's probably just tired of working all the time, and leaving after he's just shepherded a major OS upgrade to release is a good way to go out.

If he worked at Apple for 20+ years, I'm sure his stock options were worth quite a bit making early retirement a tantalizing prospect.

• Reply 27 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sky King View Post

Interesting.  I, like a previous poster, wonder if he left because of the disaster that is iOS7  

Personally I hope he's proud of iOS 7 since I like it a lot (not all of it but it's a solid step forward in general).

It's entirely possible that he's unhappy with the changes in iOS management but that's just speculation; he may just be at the point when age and finances suggest you do something different with your life.

• Reply 28 of 31
    Pretending it’s a correlation doesn’t make you look good at all.

Correlation is highly plausible. Increased stress during the management transition is plausible. Remember, this is Apple, not some Google or Xerox PARC where they get to sit around on beanbags all day. Apple employees work really hard, and it shows. It doesn't seem too far-fetched.

iOS 7 is a masterpiece, and he should be proud of his efforts, even if it's all he had left to give.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    timmydax wrote: »
    Correlation is highly plausible. Increased stress during the management transition is plausible. Remember, this is Apple, not some Google or Xerox PARC where they get to sit around on beanbags all day. Apple employees work really hard, and it shows. It doesn't seem too far-fetched.

iOS 7 is a masterpiece, and he should be proud of his efforts, even if it's all he had left to give.

Thus guy survived the dark ages at Apple. He's just retiring.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    websnapwebsnap Posts: 224member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

Because he can. I'd retire today if I could – and I'm in my 30's. Maybe he wants to work on something for himself. Maybe he wants to open a Bar. I agree, the end of a major project is a good marker to call it quits at.

• Reply 31 of 31

Three days now; still waiting for proof.