AT&T sees 200% year over year increase in activations for iPad Air launch

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple's launch of the iPad Air alone was enough to trump activations of both the iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad one year ago at U.S. carrier AT&T.



AT&T announced on Monday that iPad activations for the launch weekend of the iPad Air were up more than 200 percent year over year. The comments from AT&T Chief Executive Ralph de la Vega mark the first official statement regarding iPad Air sales, as Apple declined to offer its own numbers on Monday.

"iPad activations on AT&T increased more than 200% over the past three days compared to last year's launch weekend, driven by consumer excitement around the new iPad Air and the popularity of AT&T Mobile Share, which lets customers add an iPad to their existing data plan for just $10 a month," de la Vega said. "We also saw strong demand for AT&T Next, which offers customers an iPad for $0 down on the nation's fastest and most reliable 4G LTE network."

AT&T's comments are joined by online tracking data which suggests the new iPad Air is significantly more popular after three days of availability than both the iPad mini and fourth-gen iPad were at the same point last year. Data from Fiksu found that the iPad Air already represents 0.74 percent of all active iPads online, compared to 0.15 percent for the fourth-gen iPad last year.

Last year, after the iPad mini and "iPad 4" launch weekend, Apple issued a statement announcing that total sales of both devices exceeded 3 million. But this year, Apple only launched the iPad Air on Friday, as the second-generation iPad mini with Retina display is set to launch later this month.

Apple declines to detail sales figures on specific product models, such as breaking down iPad mini vs. full-size iPad popularity. It's likely for this reason that Apple has remained silent about the iPad Air launch weekend.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 14
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,214member

    This and the China Mobile Deal over next week-end and the stock should go up.

     

    Imagine when Apple announce its numbers after the mini launch week-end, going to be huge.

     

    btw up 200% means 3 times last year number?  if I say up 100% aint that 2 times last year number?

  • Reply 2 of 14
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

     

    This and the China Mobile Deal over next week-end and the stock should go up.

     

    Imagine when Apple announce its numbers after the mini launch week-end, going to be huge.

     

    btw up 200% means 3 times more?  if I say up 100% aint that 2 times more?


    No. The word "more" and its placement is the problem. Up 200% more means 3 times the original; up 200% does not mean 3x more. Same for 100%. Three (3) times more is 400% of the original amount. 

  • Reply 3 of 14
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,214member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post
     

    No. The word "more" and its placement is the problem. Up 200% more means 3 times the original; up 200% does not mean 3x more. Same for 100%. Three (3) times more is 400% of the original amount. 

     

    sorry, I meant 3 times last year numbers. edited

  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    I'm guessing 10,000,000 units combined for opening weekend.

    Cook did not call it an iPad Christmas for nothing.

     

    30,000,000 units for the quarter

    60,000,000 iphones

    10,000,000 ipods

     

    100,000,000 total iOS devices sold in holiday Quarter


     

     

    (first one to identify this reference wins!)

  • Reply 5 of 14
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    I'm torn between buying a new mini or the new iPad Air

    The weight reduction alone on the air is amazing and the bevel is reduced on two sides so it could work out almost like a mini. In the end the decision is probably going to come down to just how portable the air is and Can I get it in my jacket pocket. I like the bigger size for taking notes on the Notability App, I mainly use it for when I'm out and about at starbux doing my writing, etc. I thought the Mini would be perfect but the specs on the new air are so amazing I'm consdiering it instead. my trusty iPad 2 is really good too , just too big and heavy to heft around all the time.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    512ke512ke Posts: 781member

    And yet not just Bloomberg is reporting that demand is "soft" for the iPad Air.

     

    You really have to wonder about stock manipulation at this point.  

     

    The 5S, 5C and iPad Air all have something in common: they were declared to be failures by the media right before they were revealed to be the best selling Apple products in the history of both Apple and the tech sector.

  • Reply 7 of 14
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,626member
    Of course ATT workers are activating inventory with all the stuffing Apple has been doing lately. /s
  • Reply 8 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,521member
    herbapou wrote: »
    btw up 200% means 3 times last year number?  if I say up 100% aint that 2 times last year number?

    I'm thinking miscommunication somewhere along the way because up 200% does mean 3X. I'd say it's meant to be 'sales are 200% last year's numbers'.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,521member
    sog35 wrote: »
    I'm guessing 10,000,000 units combined for opening weekend.
    Cook did not call it an iPad Christmas for nothing.

    Cook said that before the iPad was released. Cook means they will be popular this Christmas which is a given given how compelling the new iPads are/will be and the fact that they didn't renew any iPods at all. Not-a-one.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,521member
    paul94544 wrote: »
    I'm torn between buying a new mini or the new iPad Air

    The weight reduction alone on the air is amazing and the bevel is reduced on two sides so it could work out almost like a mini. In the end the decision is probably going to come down to just how portable the air is and Can I get it in my jacket pocket. I like the bigger size for taking notes on the Notability App, I mainly use it for when I'm out and about at starbux doing my writing, etc. I thought the Mini would be perfect but the specs on the new air are so amazing I'm consdiering it instead. my trusty iPad 2 is really good too , just too big and heavy to heft around all the time.

    I would personlly never get a mini, even prior to the Air, but now especially so. But given your comment and your use-case I'd bet the mini with Retina display would be the far better choice for you.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    It's because Verizon got a bad rap frying out SIM cards due to inactivity on older VZ iPads.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    How do they compare to the Retina launch?
    iPad 4 was a non visible change to the short lived iPad 3 so what is the full data comparing to the real Retina launch of 18 months ago.

    Sales are not exactly diving downwards but this is a xmas pick me up.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    connieconnie Posts: 101member

    Although I have not handled the iPad Air or Mini with Retina display myself, the consensus is that they are the best tablets on the planet at the moment. Well done to Apple for this engineering feat, in such a competitive market.

Sign In or Register to comment.