Apple Stores around the world to close hours early next weekend

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33

YO! "Angela's goes live via satellite link to Apple store employees, Burberrys all round this XMAS"......you heard it here first.

• Reply 22 of 33
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,813member

PowerBook G5 is finally coming out!

• Reply 23 of 33
    There are tigers in each of the stores closing early. They have to catch them before somebody gets killed.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    Most like due to the new hire, that lady from Burberry, who wants to address her new minions. After all, they've been without a retail head for over 2 years.
  • Reply 25 of 33

Perhaps the new head of retail wants to address them, and tell them of changes to their uniform

Genius Bar staff will wear Blue Apple T-Shirts

Sales staff will wear Red Apple T-Shirts

Management will wear Gold Apple T-Shirts

:-)

• Reply 26 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by imagladry View Post

There are tigers in each of the stores closing early. They have to catch them before somebody gets killed.

What?

• Reply 27 of 33
    Likely nothing to see here. I am guessing inventory-taking prior to the holiday season.

Combo of that and quarterly meetings is most likely. If any of the stores are 24 hr ones they may be closing either for a visual refresh before the iPad mini launch (perhaps also doing some of the holiday stuff early) or even closing so all staff will be at meeting as this one is often more of a party than a meeting.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Shot in the dark guess: It's a meeting for store employees and every store that is changing their hours is in a country where Apple is either not allowed to hold employees past normal business hours or would have to pay overtime to do so. Therefore, their meetings will occur when they would have normally been on duty anyways.

I really don't feel like researching this, it's just first thing that crossed my mind.

That is another good point. Some countries it's illegal to do late and overnight hours for staff that aren't hired for those times as their job ( ie if you are hired as an 'overnight stock staff' okay but sales staff is hired to work during the day no so) and some countries just illegal.

They might always close and no one noticed before now
  • Reply 29 of 33

They will be busy taking down all the Mac products and accessories and removing them to make room for the new Apple TV and iWatch displays.

Also, in some stores the Genius Bar will be expanded to include a "SubGenius" section.

• Reply 30 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,214member
    It's being reported that the early closing is for typical employee meetings in advance of the holidays.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    msimpson wrote: »
    They will be busy taking down all the Mac products and accessories and removing them to make room for the new Apple TV and iWatch displays.

Also, in some stores the Genius Bar will be expanded to include a "SubGenius" section.

I think they already have the SubGenius section at the local store. Education is a wonderful thing but some mis out you know.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A large number of Apple Stores from Canada to the Far East will be operating under "special hours" on Nov. 17 and Nov. 18, with most locations closing two to three hours early on Sunday for unspecified reasons.

Apple Store

It was discovered on Wednesday that a growing number of Apple Stores in Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan and Spain will be closing early next weekend. For the most part, East Asian stores look to be shutting down on Sunday, while European locations vary from Sunday to Monday.

Earlier today, AppleInsider discovered a handful of Apple retail outlets were advertising early closing times, and more stores have been added to the list over the past few hours. For example, all Apple Stores in Japan are now showing special hours. Usually, Japan's Apple Store locations open between 10 a.m. and 9 p.m. daily, but will be closed from 6 p.m. next Sunday.

In Germany, Apple Store hours are even more sporadic, with 10 of the country's 12 stores closing on Nov. 18. The store in Dresden, for example, closes early on Monday, but will shut down for the entire day on Wednesday. The Oberhausen outlet, by contrast, is staying open late on Friday and Saturday, only to close early from Monday through Wednesday.

The cause of the closures is unknown, though Apple does have at least two important launch events coming up with the Retina iPad mini in November and Mac Pro in December. It should be noted that the company usually reserves Fridays for big Apple Store events and rarely starts the week with a product launch. More likely, the company is holding regularly scheduled meetings, but the Oberhausen store's hours are particularly interesting.

Gary Allen from ifo Apple Store confirms that he hasn't heard anything specific regarding the dates, but guesses the early hours may be for pre-holiday pep talks.

AppleInsider's Shane Cole contributed to this article.

Could it have something to do with the fact that on Nov. 17-18 the Comet ISON is supposed to move close to the Sun and be visible without binoculars?

• Reply 33 of 33
    Originally Posted by THEFORREAL View Post

Could it have something to do with the fact that on Nov. 17-18 the Comet ISON is supposed to move close to the Sun and be visible without binoculars?

Oh, crap. I've been reading about this for months and wanting to see it and I'm going to miss it because I can't remember anything to save my life. Gotta keep remembering... ISON... hit the countryside for it...