The team behind Mac image editor Pixelmator plays David to Adobe's Goliath

Comments

• Reply 41 of 101

bsenka talks elitist bull crap. Pixelmator is fine for professional work. It all depends on the needs your work may have. I dumped PS years ago for Pixelmator and I use it for work. Maybe bsenka dabbles in owning Adobe stock? ;P

• Reply 42 of 101
    I've been hoping that Apple would buy Pixelmator and merge it into Aperture to make a start to finish non-destructive editing workflow. Why not?
  • Reply 43 of 101

• Reply 44 of 101
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member

I think it would be cool to help Pixelmator design around or invalidate Adobe patents. Is anyone aware of Adobe patents that might cause Pixelmator problems?  If so post them.  I'll take a look. 

Everyone is always complaining about patents from individual inventors.  Personally I think some of the worst patents are owned by big companies like Adobe.  I think it would be fun to mess with Adobe.  We could do something like dig up prior art and then file a re-exam.  

• Reply 45 of 101

Try Command-Shift-V.  ;)

• Reply 46 of 101
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    It's amazing there haven't been dozens of posts talking about "toy trucks and big rigs" and "real work". The Adobe shills must be less alert than the MS ones—or do they spring to life only when Flash is mentioned?
    Adobe has done to itself what the competition hasn't been able to do for years. They have pissed off their user base in a very significant way.
    Anyway, glad to see marketshare going to deserving people and away from Adobe, which I want to die a painful death. I've hated them since they absorbed and destroyed Aldus all those many years ago.

Well painful death no because most of Adobe isn't responsible for management decisions made. I'd rather see the management team overhauled. Frankly Adobe is extremely management heavy as it is. Think about the Pixelmator team and the number of people they likely have doing full time management there. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the brothers still write code on a daily basis.
  • Reply 47 of 101
    Just bought a copy of Pixelmator tonight to replace PS.
  • Reply 48 of 101
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member

Oops meant to reply to poster above.

• Reply 49 of 101
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe View Post

Try Command-Shift-V.  ;)

Still cannot open AI or EPS files :(

• Reply 50 of 101
    danox wrote: »
    Don't be a Ass, affordable image editor program is what they meant.

Do you really want to get into a pissing contest where I'd call you a young amature punk who is inscure with himself so he must make others feel bad?

No, I don't really want to do that. So why don't we just call it a day and enjoy our life. What do you say?
  • Reply 51 of 101
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    newbee wrote: »
    I think what they meant was they were looking for a 100%, dedicated Mac option, so they would get timely updates and such .... so unlike PS, which always serves the PC side first, sometimes an agonizingly, long time, first.
    Going back to the start of the CS Suites, they released both platforms with feature parity at the same time. I do agree with the complaints people have about their licensing options right now but didn't like the old way where you had to wait 18 months to get new features either. I think that this is one way PM can set themselves apart - rapid development at a reasonable upgrade price.
  • Reply 52 of 101
    rob53 wrote: »
    Check out iDraw. Owned by Indeeo, another small company. 

IDraw is seriously awesome. It is compatible with illustrator files, and very responsive. I wish iDraw would get a little more attention. The ios app is hands down my favorite vector drawing app on ipad. The one thing I'm waiting for them to add, which they said they plan on adding is pressure sensitive vector brushes.
  • Reply 53 of 101
    Lets just hope Adobe never buys them out. What those bastards did to Macromedia, they could do again.
  • Reply 54 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

I think it would be cool to help Pixelmator design around or invalidate Adobe patents. Is anyone aware of Adobe patents that might cause Pixelmator problems?  If so post them.  I'll take a look. 

Everyone is always complaining about patents from individual inventors.  Personally I think some of the worst patents are owned by big companies like Adobe.  I think it would be fun to mess with Adobe.  We could do something like dig up prior art and then file a re-exam.  

Tabbed pallets was the one they kept irritating macromedia with I believe.

• Reply 55 of 101
    Apple should buy Pixelmator and add it to the iWork suite. Why not?
  • Reply 56 of 101
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    trex67 wrote: »
    Apple should buy Pixelmator and add it to the iWork suite. Why not?

That would be terrible for the end user. What Pixelmator has going for it, both in the public perception and in reality, is that it is the full priority of the company who own and work on it.
  • Reply 57 of 101
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Two brothers started Photoshop too.
  • Reply 58 of 101
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Think about the Pixelmator team and the number of people they likely have doing full time management there. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the brothers still write code on a daily basis.

Its linkedin suggests under 10 people. I'm not terribly big on the app. It succeeds by being inexpensive and using established libraries where possible, as it only has to run on OSX. There are so many things that could be done to improve these applications, yet they all just follow the photoshop mantra in terms of tool design.

• Reply 59 of 101
    extensor wrote: »
    Pixelmator is fine for professional work. It all depends on the needs your work may have. I dumped PS years ago for Pixelmator and I use it for work.

Some people need to work with 16 bit images at least part of the time, so it's a moot point how good Pixelmator is. They stil need something that does. Many keep pestering the developers about this and they've always been a bit evasive. The latest is that they made a cryptic statement about this and the arrival of the new Mac Pros, so if that becomes a reality there will REALLY be some dropping of PS for it.
  • Reply 60 of 101
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Cool offices! The built in App Store does indeed enable indie devs, but also the rocket sciencey libraries bundled with the system. Two things that decrease the barrier to entry.