Microsoft Surface ad fails to Excel at math, according to Apple's Numbers

Comments

• Reply 61 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Which version of Numbers are you running?  I've never seen that bug.

Just checked the old and new Pages too, and they don't behave as you describe either - they resolve leading and trailing spaces just fine in the search and replace functions.

I can't speak for the Pages error he was referencing, but the Numbers one I have dealt with.  Was going to give you a couple steps to take to replicate the problem, but now I can't.  Seems the new version (3) of Numbers has fixed this.  Cool.

• Reply 62 of 230
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

DED article shows a massive issue with numbers and the errors are present in all versions from "iPhone, a Macintosh, or even the beta version of iWork for iCloud accessible via a web browser".

Here are a list of errors

1. List Car twice in pie chart

2. Omits Surf Rentals

3. Car percentage wrong (yellow slice)

4. Food percentage wrong (orange slice)

5. Drive Rentals percentage wrong (red slice)

6. Car (again. assume to be Surf rentals) percentage wrong  (purple slice)

7. Total of pie chart is 99%. 

Thanks DED for showing massive issues with numbers and why Office is still king.

Just curious - which percentages would you change to make the total add up to 100%?

• Reply 63 of 230
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NormM View Post

I'm a big fan of DED, but the humor would be enhanced if he hadn't somehow ended up with all of the Numbers graphs he showed being wrong. None of them show seven differently labeled items, as they should.

It's a DED feature so it has the same amount of errors normally. 

• Reply 64 of 230
    I can't help it, I love the DED hit pieces. Wonderful :)
  • Reply 65 of 230
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tknull View Post

Quote:

Just checked the old and new Pages too, and they don't behave as you describe either - they resolve leading and trailing spaces just fine in the search and replace functions.

I can't speak for the Pages error he was referencing, but the Numbers one I have dealt with.  Was going to give you a couple steps to take to replicate the problem, but now I can't.  Seems the new version (3) of Numbers has fixed this.  Cool.

I figured it out - it's if you click on cells to add their reference rather than just writing out the formula - and it has been fixed in the new version.

• Reply 66 of 230
    Quote:

I figured it out - it's if you click on cells to add their reference rather than just writing out the formula - and it has been fixed in the new version.

Indeed.  And I've been using the new version for a bit now, and kept writing it out manually, assuming you still had to.  So i'm glad I read this thread, and went back to check it, or who knows how long it would have taken me to figure out its been fixed. 

• Reply 67 of 230
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Don’t let the fact that this isn’t an excuse spoil yours, hit and run.

hit and run? Wow, Apple are safe with you at their hip. Brilliant contribution, keep it up.

• Reply 68 of 230
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Pages:  Whops! - sorry, mea culpa.  I miss-remembered the bug - it wasn't to do with leading and trailing space versions of punctuation characters, it was an inability to differentiate between the opening and closing variants of quotation marks such as “ ” and ‘ ’.  To Pages 4.2 they are the same character.

• Reply 69 of 230
    Originally Posted by bruceldavies View Post

hit and run? Wow, Apple are safe with you at their hip. Brilliant contribution, keep it up.

Trolls are known for their hilarious irony.

• Reply 70 of 230
    Quote:

There sure are a lot of people with absolutely no sense of humor or irony jumping to Microsoft's defense on this one. So you signed up just to make public that you don't get it at all?

Sure got me there - Microsoft defender to the max here, brilliantly spotted. I did sign up because I felt the need to comment. Sorry for that. Glad there's no irony in falsely attributing an error and making a bigger one in the process. My bad. Right, been lovely talking with you, have to get back to defending Microsoft. Bye now.

• Reply 71 of 230
    Wow, those Apple pie charts are ALL WRONG. Not just the double "Car" slices in lieu of "Surf Rentals", but also many of its other representations. "Food" is clearly the third largest expenditure on the spreadsheet, but it's mislabeled "Car" on the pie chart. "Dive Rentals" should be one of the two 5% slices, but it's instead the red 2% slice, which is what Surf Rentals should have been.

Has anyone tried re-creating the Microsoft spreadsheet on an actual Surface 2? It may or may not have been an artist's error (intentional or otherwise) in the production of the billboard advert. But the Apple pie charts are real. Scary, the new iWork seems buggy and incomplete.
  • Reply 72 of 230
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Nor Stephen Few. 3D pie charts should not exist as an option for anyone to chose.

Laugh it all you want, Steve Jobs did use 3D pie charts, and they can be artfully made too.

Tufte and Few were no Jobs.

Overrated fellows, imho.

• Reply 73 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

This could be true, as the pie chart look like it is based upon a different value. However, why is there nothing in the contents bar???

Good point. As I see it, the pie chart reflects a value against 'car' which doesn't hold with my theory that the pre-edit value was $0. Makes me think they really made a mess of composite artwork and nobody bothered to proof - heck of an own goal!

(appalling typo edited in attempt to save blushes while criticising others! Doh!!)

• Reply 74 of 230
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    cmoebius wrote: »
    I noticed in the ad the cell with 500 is still highlighted. If this means that the user entered the 500 without committing the change (hitting enter), the value would not have been counted in the total. I couldn't see if there was an active cursor in the field, but if there was, that would be the clincher. If there wasn't, it could just mean that the software that made the screen shot did not include the cursor in it.

if they had not yet hit enter then the "500" would be on the left side of the input box, which is where it is when you type it but before hitting enter. having it on the right side of the input box indicates they have hit enter. also, it has the "$" next to it, indicating that formatting has been applied, which only happens after hitting enter.
  • Reply 75 of 230
    DanielSW <— has no sense of humor, no sense of irony. Where is his faux outrage over the Ballmeresque comments about Apple's iWork suit? Or, does it only work when Microsoft is skewering?
  • Reply 76 of 230
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee493 View Post

Wow, those Apple pie charts are ALL WRONG. Not just the double "Car" slices in lieu of "Surf Rentals", but also many of its other representations. "Food" is clearly the third largest expenditure on the spreadsheet, but it's mislabeled "Car" on the pie chart. "Dive Rentals" should be one of the two 5% slices, but it's instead the red 2% slice, which is what Surf Rentals should have been.

Has anyone tried re-creating the Microsoft spreadsheet on an actual Surface 2? It may or may not have been an artist's error (intentional or otherwise) in the production of the billboard advert. But the Apple pie charts are real. Scary, the new iWork seems buggy and incomplete.

I think you are missing the point.  No one is actually suggesting that either Excel or the Surface cannot accurately perform the calculations - just that it is somewhat amusing for a spreadsheet advertisement to show calculation errors, and probably something that one might expect to get fixed in proof reading.

• Reply 77 of 230

Nice. Microsoft's payees are out in full force today. Good morning, guys/gals. More clicks for AI! :)

Just so you -- and the other 'surf-rental' nitpickers -- know, DED does not work for Apple's advertising agency. And, Apple did not approve this.

• Reply 78 of 230
    gerdc wrote: »
    Excel might fail to add numbers in an ad.

But Apples Numbers 3 fails to add numbers in reality on your computer and your iPad (both versions have the same bug).

Details and an example file are in this blog article: http://www.gerdcastan.de/en/content/numbers-3-cell-bug

I love Microsoft bashing, too (for other reasons than Excel). But in this case...

Gerd
    Yeah, but Apple doesn't feature the bug in an ad for itself.
  • Reply 79 of 230
    What I love about this site is how deep and intelligent analyses are.
    But, sometimes it is so ridiculously biased that I, a faithful apple client, feel very disappointed and upset.
    Is this a joke? Sorry, different sense of humor.
    Let's be honest, Excel is the de facto standard for spreadsheet calculations.
    Of course it can calulate, and it is far more powerful than apple numbers.

The explanation?
    The $500 cell is highlighted in the picture. Which is the amount by which the total amount is off.
    Answer... it could have been typed into the cell and not confirmed yet by pressing ENTER.

No bug there.
  • Reply 80 of 230
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bruceldavies View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

This could be true, as the pie chart look like it is based upon a different value. However, why is there nothing in the contents bar???

Good point. As I see it, the pie chart reflects a value against 'car' which doesn't with hold my theory that the pre-edit value was $0. Makes me think they really made a mess of composite artwork and nobody bothered to proof - heck of an own goal!

That does appear to be exactly what happened. DED making equivalent errors in his article is simply careless; Microsoft allowing them in their own spreadsheet commercial is far more amusing.