Apple's iTunes, FaceTime among most heavily trafficked Web services in North America

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The iTunes Store now accounts for more than 3 percent of all downstream Web traffic in North America, while FaceTime video chat accounts for 1.4 percent of all upstream Internet usage, new data shows.

Traffic

Apple's iTunes has grown from 1.9 percent of downstream traffic in May to now holding 3.27 percent, the latest figures from Sandvine show, as reported on Monday by AllThingsD. The share of downstream traffic taken by iTunes grew as file sharing service BitTorrent shrank over the same timespan, from 5.57 percent in May to 4.05 percent.

The amount of traffic used by iTunes ranked it fifth in terms of North American downstream traffic, narrowing the gap with fourth-place BitTorrent.

Remaining the market leader for downstream usage was Netflix, accounting for a massive 31.62 percent of all usage. Taking second place was YouTube with 18.69 percent, followed by general HTTP traffic.

Other noteworthy services rounding out the top 10 were Amazon Video (8th place, 1.61 percent), Facebook (9th place, 1.31 percent), and Hulu (10th place, 1.29 percent).

Another Apple service also appeared among the separate list of most popular upstream applications is Apple's FaceTime, which came in 9th place with 1.44 percent of all upstream traffic. That placed Apple ahead of 10th-place finisher Dropbox, which took 1.39 percent of upstream traffic.

In terms of upstream data, BitTorrent consumes by far the greatest share, with a 36.35 percent share. HTTP traffic is in second with 6.03 percent, followed by SSL (5.87 percent), Netflix (4.44 percent), YouTube (3.63 percent) and Skype (2.76 percent).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

So total downstream traffic only exceeds total upstream traffic by a factor of 7.  I would have expected a bigger discrepancy.

• Reply 2 of 21

But but but but no one uses FaceTime!

• Reply 3 of 21
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member

"Apple's iTunes, FaceTime among most heavily tracked Web services in North America"

Fixed that for you.

• Reply 4 of 21
    How are these companies coming by this data? Via server data traffic reporting?
  • Reply 5 of 21
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Looks like pirating is still huge. And don’t tell me BitTorrent is used primarily for legitimate file sharing. BitTorrent is all about piracy and theft of copyrighted material. 

• Reply 6 of 21

DPI, but I don't know where they get it from. My telco over here did it, and was slapped on their fingers for doing so, because it is illegal.
  • Reply 7 of 21

Upstream for Netflix? What's that about?

• Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

NSA is now monetizing its data. IPO to come soon.

• Reply 9 of 21
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I guess Google traffic is off the charts¡

• Reply 10 of 21
    my best friend's sister makes $77 hourly on the laptop. She has been fired for seven months but last month her pay was $17117 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Continue... www.buzz19.com
  • Reply 11 of 21
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Looks like pirating is still huge. And don’t tell me BitTorrent is used primarily for legitimate file sharing. BitTorrent is all about piracy and theft of copyrighted material. 
    Beat me to it. Bunch of fucking crooks (excuse the profanity but pirates really piss me off).
  • Reply 12 of 21
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    NSA is now monetizing its data. IPO to come soon.

ATT sells some of it to the CIA/NSA according to sources. Lots of iPhone users there too which should be concerning to members here but probably isn't.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/07/us/cia-is-said-to-pay-att-for-call-data.html
    http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20131107/13445725172/so-much-nsa-chiefs-offer-to-store-data-neutral-site-att-receiving-10-millionyr-cia-phone-records.shtml
  • Reply 13 of 21
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    I for one use it all the time, was a skype user b4 microshaft turned it into shite. FaceTime is first rate. It's great on mac and phone.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zaba View Post

I for one use it all the time, was a skype user b4 microshaft turned it into shite. FaceTime is first rate. It's great on mac and phone.

Me too, use FT every day for a few hours to talk to family across the globe FREE. What a great, reliable service!

• Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I use it a lot to speak to my family. Mainly because you can't guarantee the others are actually going to ring on their iPads. I would say a significant percentage of the time the call quality is awful. Screen goes blank, or we can't hear each other so we then switch to Skype which has then so far been perfect.

At work we just use Skype. When you get 25 people on a call though you do start to get a few lagging issues.

• Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Try and tell teenagers to not *share* music.

• Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

And in some cases it should be used much more. You just have to live outside the USA to understand that. Piracy sometimes is the only way that some people have to access TV shows (that take years to reach the country in question, while the whole internet is already talking about it), for example.

• Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacAir View Post

And in some cases it should be used much more. You just have to live outside the USA to understand that. Piracy sometimes is the only way that some people have to access TV shows (that take years to reach the country in question, while the whole internet is already talking about it), for example.

Yeah I don't think the lack of a TV show being shown in a country gives anyone the right to steel it. Most programs come out on DVD which you could just import.

• Reply 19 of 21
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Most of some Asian countries are really big on piracy like the Philippines.You can buy DVD movies there for 35 cents which are decent copies actually.

• Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Yeah I don't think the lack of a TV show being shown in a country gives anyone the right to steel it. Most programs come out on DVD which you could just import.

One year later, not to mention price discrepancies. The sooner they realize Geo-restrictions are garbage, the better for them.

Meanwhile, I know 0 people that buy TV shows and that is the major reason.

It just doesn't make sense.